Official Master Thread: SMD7

Discussion in 'SMD7 (Star MegaDO #7)' started by Denny, May 2, 2016.  |  Print Topic

1. Denny
    Original Member

Denny House of Miles Staff Staff Member

Status Points:
    Star MegaDO 7: Sep 13-16 - ZRH – XFW – JMK – ATH

Imagine being on a chartered aircraft with 150 of your closest friends, jetting off to once in a lifetime aviation and travel themed experiences. MegaDO brings you just that journey, and over the course of 6 Star Alliance specific events and one oneworld event, we’ve chartered 9 aircraft with 1,620 participants, flying 19,043 miles across the world, all while raising over $300,000 USD for charity. Talk about a fun time.

Still not convinced of what MegaDO is all about? Previously, we’ve been the first group, public or private, to go inside the Boeing 787, and the first group to charter the first North American 787. Now, how cool is that?! Along the way, we’ve mingled with some of the world’s top travel executives, including Jeff Smisek (former CEO, United Airlines), Doug Parker (CEO, American Airlines), Wolfgang Mayrhuber (CEO, Lufthansa), Hoyt Harper (Senior Vice President, Starwood Hotels), Jaan Albrecht (former CEO, Star Alliance), Mark Schwab (CEO, Star Alliance). We’ve visited the A380 assembly line in Toulouse, France and done insider tours of the Frankfurt and Munich airports.

Hooked yet? Good, because we’ve got our next Star Alliance MegaDO coming up from September 13-16, 2016.

Land at Airbus' private airport

The Star MegaDo party-Airbus 320 charter flight operated by Aegean will land at XFW, Airbus’ private airport in Hamburg, for private tours of Airbus Hamburg, the home of the A320neo and Airbus interior fitting for the A380 and A350.

Go backstage at ZRH

We’ll visit the operations and maintenance facilities at ZRH and take an insider’s look at the new new SWISS Bombardier C Series, SWISS Boeing 777-300ER and Singapore A380, and the new SWISS Lounges in Concourse E.

Chill by the sunset on Mykonos

A private sunset party at the Santa Marina, a Luxury Collection Resort, Mykonos? Check.

Go behind the scenes at ATH

Meet Aegean's management team and check out operations at Athens airport.

Meet Star Alliance and Lufthansa Group executives

Mingle with the CEO of Star Alliance and representatives of the Lufthansa Group in Zurich.

The nutshell:
    • The event will start in Zurich and end in Athens.
    • Starwood Preferred Guest is our partner this year. Partner hotels are the Sheraton Zurich and the Astir Palace
    • The full schedule, pricing, and other important information at available at megado.com.
    • Registration opens on Monday, May 9th at 10am PST.
    For more details, visit MegaDo.com. We'll monitor this thread and update our FAQ at https://megado.com/faq/.

-The MegaDO organizers: Tommy, Melinda, Nathan, Patrick, Jamie

Last edited: May 7, 2016
    Mrp Alert and theforwardcabin like this.
  2. tommy777
    Original Member

tommy777 Co-founder

Status Points:
    Star MegaDO 7: Sep 13-16 - ZRH – XFW – JMK – ATH

Imagine being on a chartered aircraft with 150 of your closest friends, jetting off to once in a lifetime aviation and travel themed experiences. MegaDO brings you just that journey, and over the course of 6 Star Alliance specific events and one oneworld event, we’ve chartered 9 aircraft with 1,620 participants, flying 19,043 miles across the world, all while raising over $300,000 USD for charity. Talk about a fun time.

Still not convinced of what MegaDO is all about? Previously, we’ve been the first group, public or private, to go inside the Boeing 787, and the first group to charter the first North American 787. Now, how cool is that?! Along the way, we’ve mingled with some of the world’s top travel executives, including Jeff Smisek (former CEO, United Airlines), Doug Parker (CEO, American Airlines), Wolfgang Mayrhuber (CEO, Lufthansa), Hoyt Harper (Senior Vice President, Starwood Hotels), Jaan Albrecht (former CEO, Star Alliance), Mark Schwab (CEO, Star Alliance). We’ve visited the A380 assembly line in Toulouse, France and done insider tours of the Frankfurt and Munich airports.

Hooked yet? Good, because we’ve got our next Star Alliance MegaDO coming up from September 13-16, 2016.

Land at Airbus' private airport

The Star MegaDo party-Airbus 320 charter flight operated by Aegean will land at XFW, Airbus’ private airport in Hamburg, for private tours of Airbus Hamburg, the home of the A320neo and Airbus interior fitting for the A380 and A350.

Go backstage at ZRH

We’ll visit the operations and maintenance facilities at ZRH and take an insider’s look at the new new SWISS Bombardier C Series, SWISS Boeing 777-300ER and Singapore A380, and the new SWISS Lounges in Concourse E.

Chill by the sunset on Mykonos

A private sunset party at the Santa Marina, a Luxury Collection Resort, Mykonos? Check.

Go behind the scenes at ATH

Meet Aegean's management team and check out operations at Athens airport.

Meet Star Alliance and Lufthansa Group executives

Mingle with the CEO of Star Alliance and representatives of the Lufthansa Group in Zurich.

The nutshell:
    For more details, visit MegaDo.com. We'll monitor this thread and update our FAQ at https://megado.com/faq/.

-The MegaDO organizers: Tommy, Melinda, Nathan, Patrick, Jamie

3. tommy777
    Original Member

tommy777 Co-founder

Status Points:
    (Reserved for future use)

4. pointential

pointential New Member

Status Points:
    Any plans for a OneWorld MegaDO?

5. cova

cova Gold Member

Status Points:
    Questions on ATH day:

1. Where is the location of the Aegean day on Sept 16 - hotel or airport? (also where is location of Breakfast)

2. ATH program ends at 4pm on Sept 16 - what is the drop point - back to hotel or left at airport?

3. If Aegean event is at the airport, can luggage be held for a departure on Friday evening, Sept 16th?

Cochiti likes this.
  6. tommy777
    Original Member

tommy777 Co-founder

Status Points:
    1. Breakfast at the hotel, then bus transportation to the airport

2. Event concludes at airport, but there will be shared rides back to the hotel, many (incl myself ) are staying for the weekend.

3. We will facilitate luggage storage during Friday's activities

7. tommy777
    Original Member

tommy777 Co-founder

Status Points:
    Yes, but lets get this one launched first. Thank you!

theforwardcabin likes this.
  8. Ucfjoe

Ucfjoe Active Member

Status Points:
    Wow. I'm surprised there aren't more comments by now. I've wanted to Do for a while now and never have for various reason mostly schedule but I can't find a reason why I can't make this...

Anyways. Questions.
    Aegean (Business) are they basically the same seats as economy except middle row is blocked?

Can someone explain (I know it's subjective) the atmosphere of the previous trips? Seems to vary a bit so maybe expected for this trip? Mostly American? Mostly weekly domestic travelers looking to escape and fly in new airspace?

Based upon the schedule, and if I come it will probably be on the JFK connector. Can one reasonably expect to see some of the sites outside of the iten or is it pretty much all go and sleep when you can?

Are there any special perks based upon sponsors (i.e. I'm already SPG Plat) previous years seem mixed?

Assuming I plan on going should I not cancel my United Club Card?

Sorry for all the dumb questions just trying to figure out reasonable expectations.

TAHKUCT likes this.
  9. Pat+
    Original Member

Pat+ Silver Member

Status Points:
    That's correct, but catering will be superior - both in terms of food and drinks.

The day of the charter will be packed. The other days are more relaxed and you're free to skip activities as you see fit should you want to see sights.

There will be exclusive promotions, though we won't spoil the surprise right away :)

How is this related? :p

10. Pat+
    Original Member

Pat+ Silver Member

Status Points:
    Note that you can expand the schedule at https://megado.com/schedule/ by clicking on the + icon next to each item to see more details.

flospi likes this.
  11. tommy777
    Original Member

tommy777 Co-founder

Status Points:
    Very nice, Mr. IT Guy ;)

12. radonc1951

radonc1951 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Some questions, maybe silly due to ignorance.

1. Are any other airlines giving us a discount for travel to/from both for Y and J fares?
    2. In previous do's, one received flight credit for the flights on the tour. Will that be the case for this one as well?

This certainly looks interesting to me.:)

13. Pat+
    Original Member

Pat+ Silver Member

Status Points:
    1. The only group fare we're offering is on Singapore Airlines.

I would encourage you to be on the lookout for good deals - if you live in North America, there's been a flurry of awesome fares to Europe lately both in coach and business class. Also look at departure from Canadian hubs. Some prices are so low that airlines wouldn't match them as part of a group fare.

2. At this time, there are no plans to issue credit for the charter flights, but promotions will be announced at a later date.

14. mars1982

mars1982 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Any updates for Megado Gold members? Will we have an opportunity to buy tickets early?

15. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    Not that it matters, but we're currently in Daylight Saving Time season, not Standard Time season, so the registration is opening at 10a PDT, not 10a PST.

Golden Toque, tommy777 and Pat+ like this.
  16. Pat+
    Original Member

Pat+ Silver Member

Status Points:
    Absolutely! You should have received an email from Melinda. If that's not the case, please contact us at megado@megado.com.

17. mars1982

mars1982 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Done. Thanks!

18. nostresshere

nostresshere Member

Status Points:
    re: Singapore from JFK. Is this flight only for this group? What equipment? And, can we buy one way - as we would like to spend a week in Europe after the event. I looked and do not see this flight available for normal booking.

EDIT - My bad. I was looking at JFK-ZRH vs JFK-FRA

Last edited: May 5, 2016
  19. Pat+
    Original Member

Pat+ Silver Member

Status Points:
    The details are available at https://megado.com/pricing. You should be able to buy one way only, although we're waiting for the final details from Singapore. The flight is operated on an A380. It is a public flight - we only offer a group rate.

20. Ucfjoe

Ucfjoe Active Member

Status Points:
    United is part of the same alliance and with the card you get lounge access so I was trying to figure if there is any advantage to keeping it for the trip?

Thanks for the other replies btw.

21. Pat+
    Original Member

Pat+ Silver Member

Status Points:
    Whether to keep a credit card is a personal decision. There are no advantages to holding any specific credit card on this trip. If you're referring to lounge access on the day of the charter flight, the only location where it would be possible would be ZRH, assuming we have time - and should that be the case I'm sure someone can guest you in.

22. cova

cova Gold Member

Status Points:
    Question:
    Will it be possible to meet up with the group arriving by bus from the hotel on Friday morning Sept 16? And what is the expected arrival time at ATH after the Aegean breakfast in the hotel?

The thought is to stay at the ATH airport hotel (at half the cost) and avoid the late arrival and early departure at the $300+ resort Starwood hotel (25km away).
    Plus if you depart ATH on Friday evening, you would not be going back to the hotel anyway. As indicated in the website - you can stay elsewhere if you don't care about the sponsor promos. And if you took the Singapore flight from FRA, you need to fly to FRA on the 16th after 4pm.

23. Pat+
    Original Member

Pat+ Silver Member

Status Points:
    It shouldn't be a problem - we'll communicate the exact meeting location during the event. As for the expected arrival time, I'm afraid we don't have this level of detail months ahead of the event.

cova likes this.
  24. ParanoiaTX
    Original Member

ParanoiaTX Gold Member

Status Points:
    Just FYI, the UC membership would only get you into a Business Lounge anyway. For Senator Lounge access, you would need *G or be the guest of another *G participant...and knowing this group no one would dare set foot in a lowly Business Lounge. ;) But as @Pat+ noted, there is **usually** no lack of *G participants. So, I don't think having vs not having a membership impacts much at all, unless you are in a situation where you're traveling completely separate from the group.

scubaflyer, cova and TAHKUCT like this.
  25. David
    Original Member

David Silver Member

Status Points:
    The price for this seems overly high for what it is TBH.

If it earned stats points (even just in Aegean scheme) or if we had some idea of the deals/promotions etc that might be available....

flospi likes this.