Official Master Thread: SMD6 [Sold Out!]

Discussion in 'SMD6 (Star MegaDO #6)' started by rehoult, Feb 8, 2015.  |  Print Topic

1. rehoult
    Original Member

rehoult Gold Member

Status Points:
    Last year was a very difficult year for the MegaDo organizers. We met with lots of busy airlines struggling with mergers, restructuring, new loyalty programs and more. We have had no less than 3 versions of this program ready to go, but each time had a piece fall apart at the last minute. However, this time the contracts are signed and we're ready to go!

Introducing Star MegaDo 6 -- The Rise of the Vikings (and the plastic plane) May 11th-13th! Official program starts at 8AM on Monday May 11th and ends Wednesday May 13th.

So what does the Viking part mean? On-board catering with a turkey drumstick eaten by hand? Robbing villages around Toulouse? You'll just have to wait and see ;)

Here are some highlights, you don't want to miss this one -
    -- A very exclusive and up close look at the new Airbus A350 - the future of aviation
    -- Spend a day with Mark Schwab, President and CEO of Star Alliance and get a behind-the-scenes tour at their biggest investment in a long time: T2, The Queens Terminal at London's Heathrow
    -- A day with SAS -- SAS put on an amazing show, one of the most loved programs of the MegaDo back in 2009. Now they are back and they are inviting us to spend the day with them in their hometown Stockholm. We'll get to take a look at their new Business Class and newly refurbished planes in addition to SAS Eurobonus, their revamped loyalty program with a brand new tier.
    -- Club Carlson is our new hotel partner. Enjoy their top tier status Concierge with their compliments and join them for a very exclusive reception at their flagship property, the luxurious The May Fair in London.
    -- More surprise status miles and points to follow
    -- To kick off the festivities the night before the charter flight, there will a optional dinner hosted at Kitchen and Table at Arlanda Airport, Clarion hotel. Very limited seating at this awesome restaurant with spectacular views.

Transatlantic flights will be offered when booking goes live along with the host hotels, but feel free to book your flights to Europe using money/miles as there will be no restrictions or requirements to join the program starting in Europe.

You will be required to stay at the host properties to earn Club Carlson Concierge status. The Stockholm property will be about 120 dollars per night, while The May Fair will be around 250 pounds but there will be a less expensive sister property available in London, The Park Plaza Victoria.

The full program is posted on www.megado.com, so take a peek.

Booking link: https://megado.com/registration/

Last edited: Feb 16, 2015
  2. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    No prices listed??

Also, what's the charter aircraft?

Travelsavant likes this.
  3. tommy777
    Original Member

tommy777 Co-founder

Status Points:
    The charter aircraft is a SAS 737-800, gotta recreate that Condor legroom experience

More details here https://megado.com/schedule/

Travelsavant and FlyingFree like this.
  4. Arcanum

Arcanum Silver Member

Status Points:
    When will we find out the TATL group rate, and will it be available from multiple cities? I've got to be in Europe the week before anyways.

Travelsavant likes this.
  5. skyhook
    Original Member

skyhook Silver Member

Status Points:
    Gary posted prices on his blog, but I'm not seeing them on the official site.
    ◾$999 for Economy
    ◾$1499 for what’s become known as ‘Tommy Class’ — middle seat blocked
    ◾$1799 for Business, middle seat blocked, upgraded catering and upgraded liquor

T&C currently state (emphasis mine):
    CHARTER PRICE: The charter price of $2000.00 (USD) Economy and $4000.00 (USD) in First/Business Class includes a charter flight from Stockholm, Sweden to Toulouse, France on May 12, 2015 and from Toulouse, France to London, England on May 12, 2015. It also includes all applicable taxes, surcharges and fees for which we can pay ahead of time. It does not include the purchase price of the seat license. However, we reserve the right to impose a fuel surcharge in event we are charged a fuel surcharge from Scandinavian Airlines System Denmark-Norway-Sweden (SAS). If a fuel surcharge is imposed we will notify you not less than 20 days prior to the departure. Passenger is responsible for paying any imposed fuel surcharge prior to receiving a boarding pass from us. If the passenger does not pay any imposed fuel surcharge no refund will be given. We reserve the right to discount the charter price. It does not include any required fees for visas or any other fees that are charged directly to the passenger. Any tips or gratuities not specifically mentioned as included in the total charter price will be at your discretion. Passenger is responsible for all travel to the place of origin and from the destination to their place of origin. Except for “major changes,” as described below, no refund will be made for any accommodations or services included in the charter price which you voluntarily do not use.

Travelsavant likes this.
  6. Pat+
    Original Member

Pat+ Silver Member

Status Points:
    These are the correct prices. I'll add them to the FAQ (https://megado.com/faq/) asap since pricing is not obvious while the reservation link isn't available. The T&C are legal verbiage - kind of like hotels that post rack rates inside the rooms. In other words, we don't intend to charge as much as $4k, but we have the right to do so ;)

Here's the details on the classes of service:
    • Economy – a comfy coach seat on the geekiest charter flight in the world, complimentary meals, an open bar, and plenty of good company.
    • Exit row – the best legroom on the plane plus a blocked middle seat, with the same service as in Economy, including complimentary meals and an open bar.
    • Business class – priority boarding, front-cabin seating, a blocked middle seat for your comfort, and upgraded service including Champagne and premium drinks.
    Tickets include:
    • A reserved seat on our exclusive SMD flight operated by SAS Scandinavian Airlines, in the class of service of your choice.
    • Access to all events and receptions (except those marked “optional” on the schedule such as the pre-event reception.)
    • Bus and train transportation to the events. (minus HEX)
    Please see the FAQ at https://megado.com/faq/ for more details.

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 9, 2015
    Travelsavant likes this.
  7. Pat+
    Original Member

Pat+ Silver Member

Status Points:
    We are actively working on TATL details and will have information to share very soon. Please keep an eye on the FAQ for more details: https://megado.com/faq/

Travelsavant likes this.
  8. okrogius

okrogius Silver Member

Status Points:
    -Any mileage earning from UA/SAS/others?
    -It's also harder to ball park cost without details about hotel rates, although charter pricing is a good starting point. (Is staying at the host property required if we don't care about Carlson status?)
    -Any chance for o/w TATL fares?

Travelsavant and Absolute99 like this.
  9. Pat+
    Original Member

Pat+ Silver Member

Status Points:
    We're working on mileage earning and will let everyone know when we have the details. Preliminary hotel prices are available in the FAQ: https://megado.com/faq/

And it's a Star Alliance MegaDO, right? ;)

Travelsavant likes this.
  10. okrogius

okrogius Silver Member

Status Points:
    o/w indicating one-way rather than oneworld. There is a tempting one-way revenue price now from the west coast to the area, so just contemplating whether the return would be on miles, or whether a round-trip revenue flight on group rate might make more sense.

Travelsavant likes this.
  11. Pat+
    Original Member

Pat+ Silver Member

Status Points:
    Got it :p A bunch of folks asked about oneworld so I assumed... :) We can probably inquire, this is still being negotiated. If you don't mind perhaps you could share the fare details for other potentially interested MegaDOers?

Travelsavant likes this.
  12. okrogius

okrogius Silver Member

Status Points:
    Not that big of a deal to complicate negotiations with really, just curiosity. I'm sure it's already a fun discussion of 'we want to offer a discounted fare from anywhere in USA to ARN and back' and doing it in May.

Other fare isn't *A (actually ow), so not sure it's of great interest to others. Although of course I'm happy to share if someone does want it.

Travelsavant likes this.
  13. William JLP

William JLP Gold Member

Status Points:
    I believe I read somewhere that the group TATL would be from ORD.

Travelsavant likes this.
  14. tommy777
    Original Member

tommy777 Co-founder

Status Points:
    Usually, we do one flight together, this flight will go from ORD. On the return, you can fly to anywhere UA flies.

Travelsavant likes this.
  15. theBOAT
    Original Member

theBOAT Silver Member

Status Points:
    I'm in!

theBOAT

Travelsavant, freqtrvlr and Pat+ like this.
  16. Absolute99

Absolute99 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Thanks! I missed out last year due to an existing booking, and can't wait for this one. Knowing what the mileage would be for other partners (add AC to the list for me) would be the icing on the cake.

EDIT: I also meant to include my thanks to everyone organizing this - I can't imagine the amount of complexity and stress involved, and hope to thank you properly on my first MegoDO!

Last edited: Feb 9, 2015
    Travelsavant and Pat+ like this.
  17. Pat89339
    Original Member

Pat89339 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I'm really sorry to have to ask the question again in reference to a MegaDo, but since I'm in a wheelchair again, are the events/tours accessible?

Travelsavant, theBOAT and iolaire like this.
  18. alfagirl

alfagirl Gold Member

Status Points:
    Boo hoo. That Sunday is Mother's Day in the U.S. and I have a date with my mom. She is getting up there (and, shoot, so am I) and I want to see her as much as possible.

19. cova

cova Gold Member

Status Points:
    The event on the 13th ends at 3pm.
    Questions:
    1. Will there be a place to store luggage if one departs that afternoon?
    2. If one could only attend an hour or two in the morning (10 - noon) on the 13th - would that be possible?
    3. Are all the events at Term 2 LHR? (ie check in in the am, then depart the event for your flight)
    4. Is there an agenda for the 13th event at LHR?
    5. Any issue if you had to skip the 13th event to get home.

Not looking too good for me in attending as I need to be in Portland, OR on the evening of the 13th, with another prepaid event.

Last edited: Feb 9, 2015
    Travelsavant likes this.
  20. rehoult
    Original Member

rehoult Gold Member

Status Points:
    Comments below:

Travelsavant likes this.
  21. kiwi
    Original Member

kiwi Gold Member

Status Points:
    Ooh this works well for my schedule, other than having a @#$% meeting when tickets go on sale. Stupid question, but no chance to waitlist ahead of tickets going on sale I presume?

Travelsavant, Pat89339 and theBOAT like this.
  22. theBOAT
    Original Member

theBOAT Silver Member

Status Points:
    I know it's not final until its final, but do you all (organizers) expect to have the details on the TATL group flight close enough to announce by the opening of the booking window on Monday?

theBOAT

Travelsavant likes this.
  23. tommy777
    Original Member

tommy777 Co-founder

Status Points:
    Yes

Travelsavant and theBOAT like this.
  24. theBOAT
    Original Member

theBOAT Silver Member

Status Points:
    Excellent, thank you

Travelsavant likes this.
  25. Pat+
    Original Member

Pat+ Silver Member

Status Points:
    kiwi, I'm afraid that we can't offer this option - I'm sorry. I hope you can join us!

Travelsavant and kiwi like this.