Official: AA and US Merging

Discussion in 'American Airlines | AAdvantage' started by DestinationDavid, Feb 14, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

DestinationDavid Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    Merger website is up and ready for your viewing: LINK.

Aktchi, edekba, jbcarioca and 2 others like this.
  2. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

Status Points:
    As promised, seems the name American Airlines will stick around, oneworld will be the alliance for the new airline.

Also, the new livery AA revealed will be used by the new carrier, so all those so concerned with AA needing to re-brand after the re-branding? Sorry, no dice. ;)

edekba, rwoman and jbcarioca like this.
  3. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

Status Points:
    The majority of the interesting information is under the Customer FAQ section: LINK.

edekba and jbcarioca like this.
  4. jbcarioca
    Original Member

jbcarioca Gold Member

Status Points:
    Thanks David for making another new thread where is really belongs!

Maybe here we can debate the new AA fleet composition and strategy for fixing Asian weakness. :oops: calls for speculation.;)

Aktchi, edekba, Tenmoc and 1 other person like this.
  5. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

Status Points:
    In all seriousness, the Asia issue needs to be addressed.

But yes, the official confirmation of a merger is one topic that will certainly spur quite the high level of speculation. ;)

Aktchi and jbcarioca like this.
  6. sobore
    Original Member

sobore Gold Member

Status Points:
    A few of the high points from the FAQ:

• As we work toward completing the transaction, which we expect to occur in the third quarter of 2013, it remains business as usual at American Airlines and US Airways.
    • Until the merger closes, you can continue to earn and redeem mileage for travel awards with our respective oneworld and Star Alliance partners.
    • Until the merger is complete, each company will maintain its current loyalty programs (American Airlines – AAdvantage® and US Airways – Dividend Miles).
    • American Airlines and US Airways will remain independent airlines until the merger closes.
    • Until the merger is complete, each airline will maintain its current loyalty programs (US Airways – Dividend Miles and American Airlines – AAdvantage). Existing miles will continue to be honored, and there will be no impact to either airline’s credit cards.

whkento and jbcarioca like this.
  7. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Horton just said there would be a significant corporate and operational presence in PHX on the analyst call.

jbcarioca likes this.
  8. 7Continents
    Original Member

7Continents Silver Member

Status Points:
    Since this is a done deal, all I'll say is too bad US ceded a whole terminal at LGA to DL. Would have been nice for us AA folk to get out of the pit of a central terminal into a bigger easier space.

jbcarioca likes this.
  9. flyforawg

flyforawg Silver Member

Status Points:
    I'd speculate that's simply to placate those employees. I'd guess a high probability that PHX will wither and die as a hub after integration as that's probably not the best location to concentrate resources in the new organization.

jbcarioca likes this.
  10. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

Status Points:
    LAX or bust.

11. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Also stating improvements to product started in the recent year will remain.

jbcarioca likes this.
  12. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Deal expected to finalize in 3rd quarter, code sharing expected around the same time.

flyforawg and jbcarioca like this.
  13. autolycus

autolycus Gold Member

Status Points:

Hmm... so if you want to book on *A, make sure to do it no later than 2nd quarter or risk missing the opportunity to do it with US miles.

edekba and jbcarioca like this.
  14. thethinwhiteduke
    Original Member

thethinwhiteduke Silver Member

Status Points:
    jbcarioca likes this.
  15. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

Status Points:
    AA's reservation system will remain.

Single operating certificate expected in 18 months.

jmjgp12 and jbcarioca like this.
  16. jbcarioca
    Original Member

jbcarioca Gold Member

Status Points:
    That was in the FAQ's also. One wonders what that means.

LETTERBOY likes this.
  17. DCAview
    Original Member

DCAview Silver Member

Status Points:
    I can't imagine that they wouldn't simply combine the mileage balances in the two frequent flyer programs (like every other major airline merger has done), so I find it unusual that they're making no promises in the FAQ:

Q:When the merger is complete, will I lose the AAdvantage miles I have accrued?A:
    At this time, American and US Airways will remain separate companies and each company will maintain its current loyalty program. Once the merger is complete, the new American will evaluate how best to structure its loyalty program.
    Ultimately, the combined company is expected to offer members more opportunities to earn and burn miles from an expanded global network of routes and partnerships, unmatched redemption options including flights, hotels, car rentals, vacation packages, one-way awards and lounge memberships, and much more. We expect the transaction to close in the third quarter of 2013, subject to customary approvals and closing conditions, and will keep you updated throughout the process.

jbcarioca likes this.
  18. jbcarioca
    Original Member

jbcarioca Gold Member

Status Points:
    IMHO that is because they have not ironed out the details and had agreement from all the interested parties. of course balances will combine and AAdvantage will be the surviving program. However, how they calculate lifetime balances, bonuses, Elite qualifications etc make many details to iron out. They certainly cannot discuss that level of detail publicly until US shareholders have agreed and regulators have blessed the union.

flyforawg and LETTERBOY like this.
  19. zphelj

zphelj Gold Member

Status Points:
    Not really encouraging but not surprising either. I'm tired of the speculation already ;-) We'll just have to wait and see and, if given an opportunity to do so constructively, share our thoughts on the matter with management.

jbcarioca likes this.
  20. Tenmoc
    Original Member

Tenmoc Gold Member

Status Points:
    I'm hoping the use of HKG for maintenance will lead to AA metal into HKG. Or locally.

zphelj and jbcarioca like this.
  21. jbcarioca
    Original Member

jbcarioca Gold Member

Status Points:
    One way or another this will happen. Before the ink drys we'll see the CX ultra-large-aircraft buy settled. We're almost certain to see something pop from Parker's team to reduce slot problems and augment capacity. He knows NRT, HKG, PVG and PEK, among others are all there. he's also been on the short end of capacity sharing agreements. I am not trying to predict any specific thing. I am positive there is already a plan that we'll hear about in less than a year. That plan will involve new ULH aircraft, if not ULA. A350-1000, B747-8 or A350 all could work well on some of these routes. The latter two are going at very, very cheap prices. BTW, I know many people imagine such events will never happen. I think they're wrong because the more or less equally divided US carriers cannot slaughter each other domestically so they'll devote themselves to international expansion. Maybe not, but Doug Parker does not think small!:)

Aktchi, iolaire and Tenmoc like this.
  22. tommy777
    Original Member

tommy777 Co-founder

Status Points:

I thought this was interesting. I guess that means that there will be two types of business style seats and that the AA planes will be retrofitted with the US Envoy seat. Not a bad seat, but the new AA seat is a lot better. I can hear Doug Parker say "you guys are out of your minds with 1-2-1 on a triple seven, such a waste, we have to cut costs"

One of my other major concerns was that on board service would be gutted. Under the Enhanced Travel Experience section, it says nothing about continuing AAs huge improvement on inflight service

Also, I hope for the love of.. that they keep the AAdvantage program as is. The UA/CO merger shows that a new tier and unlimited domestic upgrades has ended in a disaster for 1Ks and I'm quite sure being EP will be just as worthless.

3 tiers and 500 milers remaining would be absolutely optimal and the main reason I'd put as much travel as I can on the new carrier

JAbrams72, Aktchi, flyforawg and 5 others like this.
  23. jmjgp12

jmjgp12 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Thank you for the posting - I am sorry if this has been posted somewhere else but when you say aa reservations system will remain - is this referring to when the airline merges they will be using sabre that aa currently uses?

Thank you for the clarification!

Tenmoc and jbcarioca like this.
  24. jbcarioca
    Original Member

jbcarioca Gold Member

Status Points:
    Yes, that is what he said. He explicitly said US had made a mistake by using the ex-HP reservation system, that they should have remained on Sabre. They will "adopt and go".

flyforawg, Tenmoc and jmjgp12 like this.
  25. jmjgp12

jmjgp12 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Thank you for the clarification!

jbcarioca and Tenmoc like this.