Official 2013 FFG/UA Mini-DO SFO (October 12 and 13)

Discussion in 'United Airlines | MileagePlus' started by JC1120, Jun 19, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. JC1120

JC1120 Silver Member

Status Points:
    FFG is pleased to announce the 2013 SFO Mini-DO. Scheduled for the weekend of October 12 and 13, this will be the final event of the year and you won't want to miss it.

We're still in the planning stages, but we wanted to announce the dates so that everyone can save it into their calendars and potentially book flights.

All participants of the mini-DO will receive entrance to the United Airlines Family Day on Sunday, October 13, an event at the SFO Maintenance Center generally reserved for employees and a limited number of invited guests. The program for that event is still being finalized, but for now, assume that it will be similar to prior years (aircraft on display, tours, etc.) We're also working to get special guests and other surprises for the Mini-DO attendees.

Schedule of Events
    Saturday, October 12 - Lunch at the Slanted Door (Ferry Market Building, San Francisco)​
    Sunday, October 13 - United Airlines Family Day​
    Remember that the Monday that follows is a holiday for some people (Columbus Day). This is also the same weekend as Fleet Week (http://www.fleetweek.us/)​

Cost
    To be finalized, but expect the price to be ~$150 per person. This will include a donation to FFG/United WeCare. Registration will be available by early July, limited to the first 50 participants who register and pay.

Frequent Flyer Giving (FFG) is a 501(c)3 organization that has been affiliated with Flyertalk and Milepoint and partnered with United Airlines WeCare through these official mini-DOs and United DOs over the past few years. This year already we've hosted events in IAH and NYC (do a search to find threads for these events). 200% of donations from these events after expenses are passed through to UA WeCare. The directors match dollar for dollar, and generally the cost of the events slightly exceed the amount charged. The volunteer directors are myself, J.Edward, and xyzzy.

UA WeCare is an employee charity providing confidential, timely, short term crisis relief to those in the United family needing basic assistance unavailable through other resources. For example, when NYC was flooded, the charity provided fuel, food, and clothing to employees, some of whom had severely damaged homes. Due to the special and limited nature of this event, we're making this an opportunity raise even more money than our typical event. The meal itself will run nearly $100, with the remainder going straight to UA WeCare. Our website, www.ffgiving.org, will provide more information about both organizations. We're still trying to finalize the event itself, but it will be no more than $150. Your tax adviser should be able to tell you what portion (if not all) should be tax deductible.

The FFG Directors - J.Edward, JC1120, xyzzy

J.Edward and NYCAdventurer like this.
  2. JC1120

JC1120 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Reserved for future use.

3. Mackieman
    Original Member

Mackieman Gold Member

Status Points:
    In. :cool:

Flyer1976 likes this.
  4. Steve GadFly
    Original Member

Steve GadFly Gold Member

Status Points:
    I wish I could make it but I have a family wedding in Denver to attend that weekend. Have fun folks!

5. Weatherboy

Weatherboy Gold Member

Status Points:
    I wish all the SFO fun (this event, family day, StarMegaDo) were around the same weekend. (UA is going to open up the MegaDo to FT/MP/select FF'ers again for the event on the 25th.)

6. Flyer1976
    Original Member

Flyer1976 Gold Member

Status Points:
    How convenient is it that I already have a SJC turned SFO trip that weekend so count me in! :cool:

7. desamo

desamo Gold Member

Status Points:
    I'll be in town that weekend.

8. genemk2

genemk2 Gold Member

Status Points:
    'doh. In HKG that weekend. Next year!

9. mommypoints

mommypoints Gold Member

Status Points:
    Oh boo. Great group and great offer. Was hoping to make it to Family Day this year, but probably can't pull it off with Chicago Seminars that same weekend. Next time!

10. rggale
    Original Member

rggale Gold Member

Status Points:
    Penciled in :cool:

11. Jenny & Curt
    Original Member

Jenny & Curt Gold Member

Status Points:
    Also penciled. Interesting potential schedule conflict is that our youngest child is currently about half way through the Washington, DC Police Academy, but they don't set the graduation date until about a month out, and it could end up being roughly Sept. 20-October 10-ish. So, we'll probably hang in the wings and try to pick up a couple of spots if someone needs to cancel.
    Booked a cancellable hotel room.

rggale likes this.
  12. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    When did the UA forum on MP get moderators?

13. Mackieman
    Original Member

Mackieman Gold Member

Status Points:
    It was a copy/paste from the FT thread wherein there was (what I interpreted to be) some harsh comments about who FFG was and what they were all about.

IDGflygirl likes this.
  14. JC1120

JC1120 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Oops. Fixed!

15. JC1120

JC1120 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Just reposting what UA Insider wrote over on FT for the benefit of everyone on MP. As re-iterated over there, the FFG directors apologize for any confusion that may have resulted from our original posts.

Hi everyone,

Just wanted to clarify that there will be an opportunity for customers (including FT) to attend the SFO Family Day on a complimentary basis, in a similar format/ticket allocation and with a comparable number of spaces to what we have been happy to offer up in the past.

Of course, I certainly don’t want to discourage anyone from attending the separate events organized by FFG, which are always wonderful and support a great cause. However, I equally don’t want to imply that our welcoming you to Family Day requires any kind of payment.

Anyway, the precise details of 2013 Family Day (exact time on Sunday, aircraft displays, etc.) are still coming together, so look out for more details and a separate invitation post from me over the next few months.

Aaron Goldberg
    Sr. Manager - Customer Experience Planning
    United Airlines

Also, just as the Family Day is still being planned, the mini-DO is still a work in progress. The final TBA pricing is more than just lunch, entrance into Family Day, and a donation to FFG/United WeCare - we're looking to provide an special experience on both days available only to those that participate via this route. Again, I wish we could have been more clear from the get go, but this is a learning experience for all of us, and we wanted to allow everyone to start their planning.

16. legalalien
    Original Member

legalalien Gold Member

Status Points:
    Still in.

17. EyeOnTheSkies

EyeOnTheSkies Silver Member

Status Points:
    So just to be clear, if you go to the dinner, do you also get entrance into Family Day or are they totally separate, except they happen to share a weekend?

18. Pat89339
    Original Member

Pat89339 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Did I miss this announcement somewhere?

19. Weatherboy

Weatherboy Gold Member

Status Points:

It hasn't been announced yet. Probably won't be for a few months.

20. JC1120

JC1120 Silver Member

Status Points:
    The package includes a multi-course lunch (not dinner, albeit there will be enough food to be dinner) with some special guests, and a unique Family Day experience (you get to see everything those that are lucky enough to get free tickets for Family Day will get, plus something else that day which we're still working on).

Does this help? I wish I could say more but we're still early in the planning.

freqtrvlr and desamo like this.
  21. theblakefish
    Original Member

theblakefish Gold Member

Status Points:
    That just happens to be one of the few free weekends I have in the Fall. Count me in! :D

Mackieman likes this.
  22. JC1120

JC1120 Silver Member

Status Points: