Office Depot/Office Max at it again, 5X with INK GC

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Credit Cards' started by satman40, May 1, 2015.  |  Print Topic

1. satman40

satman40 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Officemax/Office Depot Visa Gift Card Bonanza
    I love any deal that involves office supply stores. I especially love a deal that involves office supply stores and Visa gift cards. But when a deal involves both of those things plus an instant discount, it is hard to contain my excitement.

Such a deal is about to start and it will be running for two whole weeks! From 5/3-5/16 Officemax and Office Depot are going to be offering $20 off the purchase of $300 or more in Visa gift cards.Unlike Staples, this discount is taken off instantly at the register.

These work well with serve for me., unlike Staples the take the $20.00 off at the register..l see this as a 50k promotion...

2. MX

MX Gold Member

Status Points:
    What's the highest denomination VGC's do they sell? Any limits per transaction, store, or customer?

satman40 likes this.
  3. va2ca

va2ca Active Member

Status Points:
    Visa.jpg

satman40 and MX like this.
  4. satman40

satman40 Gold Member

Status Points:
    200, but some stores will let you purchase more than the limit.

One store last year let me buy, what the had on display..., and some stores are strict., but return later in the evening and they have a new crew..

We have several stores in our area.

About Again and MX like this.
  5. MX

MX Gold Member

Status Points:
    Great, thanks for posting! Would that coupon be in their weekly flyer / and required to get the deal?

satman40 likes this.
  6. va2ca

va2ca Active Member

Status Points:
    The advertisement is located on the very bottom on page 8 of 14 in the weekly flyer. There is no coupon to present at checkout. I imagine it will be discounted at the register automatically.
    ad.jpg

satman40, About Again and MX like this.
  7. satman40

satman40 Gold Member

Status Points:
    It will be posted on the GC Rack, I go in the AM and retun in the evening, and return every day...

Of course I only go to one store....:)

Some years it is hard to make a million dollars, but it is getting easier to gain a million miles...:D And they are tax free...

About Again, MX and Gary70 like this.
  8. Gary70

Gary70 Silver Member

Status Points:
    My plan is to visit as many stores as possible first week of promotion. It will get exponentially more difficult to find $200 GC and even $100 GC after first week.

Last edited: May 2, 2015
    satman40, About Again and MX like this.
  9. MX

MX Gold Member

Status Points:
    Thanks so much for further details. It's very helpful.

satman40 and About Again like this.
  10. satman40

satman40 Gold Member

Status Points:
    One of my local stores had $100.00 yet to see an $200.00, and I did visit 4 stores today, all let me buy 2 300 purchases...

Picked up 12,000 points this AM, and will return tonight for another 12,

I have 13 days, this should be fun...

About Again and Gary70 like this.
  11. MX

MX Gold Member

Status Points:
    I tried this deal today with somewhat disappointing results. None of the 3 local OD's had the Metabank VGC's (as described in the flyer), but had the racks full with var. load Vanillas that can not be purchased with CC's. One store had $200 Vanillas, and they triggered the rebates as well with a manager's override. So I bought the 2 deal limit. This flavor is a pain to unload, but it's better than a wasted trip.

12. Gary70

Gary70 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Looks like it may be harder this time around.

Picked up 4,000 points around noon with last 4 $200 GC in the store. Someone cleaned up all $200 GC from OM and nearby Staples in Philly subs (I assume they will be activated at OM in the next 2 weeks).

Last edited: May 4, 2015
  13. va2ca

va2ca Active Member

Status Points:
    I posted the advertisement, yet I thought the sale started on Monday (tomorrow). However, not worried about missing out on this deal due to the clientele in my area. I will let you know how I make out tomorrow afternoon/evening. I am looking forward to my first travel hack purchase even if it is on a 1:1 card. Regardless a profit is made on the purchase.

satman40 and MX like this.
  14. About Again

About Again Gold Member

Status Points:
    i visited two stores in NJ today, both only had Vanilla, not a fan of Vanilla since WM excluded them.

They also told me only credit card purchase up to $200, $500 denominations had to be purchased with cash:eek:

MX and satman40 like this.
  15. va2ca

va2ca Active Member

Status Points:
    I just visited the Office Depot in my area and they only sell Vanilla Visa Gift Cards in $50, $100, $200, $50-$500, and reload-it options. As a first time travel hacker who just set up a Bluebird account, I would like to know your thoughts? I have not received my Bluebird card in the mail, but I was going to take advantage of this deal as a cost savings regardless.

About Again, MX and satman40 like this.
  16. satman40

satman40 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Any time you use the GC, say to buy a gas card, it is still 5X, the grocer takes these, and department stores, all at 5X.

I get these cards to insure 5,X with my spend, sure I could drop 5k in a Serve account, but hey my spend us more than 5k a month, if I hold a few cards till next month, no big deal.

If you have an INK CARD, you have a business, Serve is only 5k, I can run 60k at Lowe's in materials.

Much of the reason the racks are empty is, it is a good promotion. I have almost hit my goal with in the first 2 days.

I am buying VISA GIFT CARDS..,

About Again likes this.
  17. va2ca

va2ca Active Member

Status Points:
    True or False you can load vanilla gift cards at Walmart kiosks in $49.99 denominations?

18. Gary70

Gary70 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Today was somewhat a good run. I was able to make 2 buys in AM and 2 buys in PM each 6x$100 GC, but was flagged in both stores by the managers :rolleyes: as each time transaction limit ($250 :eek:) manager override was required at the register. Chances of repeating this tomorrow are slim to none :mad:

19. satman40

satman40 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I had a Manager over ride also, go back, the are rated on sales....

Go back, all they can say is no, if they do say thank you.

Why mess with a 49 load at WM, I loaded $200 at Speedway Gas Card, and will get 5X it does not take long to spend $200 in gas, and you get 3 cents off each gal.

Just trying I give you some ideas.

About Again and Gary70 like this.
  20. MX

MX Gold Member

Status Points:
    It's true. If you have time and a working kiosk, then by all means use this method to unload your Vanillas. When you use GC's to make purchases, they generate no further points. So using GC's for everyday expenses is somewhat wasteful. It's also very important that Manufactured Spending must NOT increase your net spending. Even minor unnecessary spending will quickly cancel any benefits of points you generate.

satman40, About Again and Gary70 like this.
  21. satman40

satman40 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I buy the GC with my INK for 5X, and then spend it like a CC, receiving 5 X for any purchases made with that card,

Serve has a limit of 5k, which would give me 25k, but I am looking for far more points,,,

But there is nothing wrong wit an extra 25k in points..,

The points are never free...but are a benifit,

Just got back from PEK FC. $49,00, almost free...

About Again, MX and Gary70 like this.
  22. MX

MX Gold Member

Status Points:
    When you phrase it this way, it can be interpreted incorrectly. Let's try this instead:
    You receive 5X from INK, when you load a gift card.
    When you unload a gift card, you receive NO rebate.
    But you use GC for retail purchases anyways (displacing rebate-earning cards), because you maxed out other GC unloading methods.

About Again, satman40 and Gary70 like this.
  23. satman40

satman40 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I set a pin today, with the OM GC, and Loaded $100.00 to my Serve Card at WM, even did it at the register

I get 5X on the purchase of the GC, no points on the spend unless it would be at an AA Shopping port per to say..

About Again likes this.
  24. Gary70

Gary70 Silver Member

Status Points:
    satman40, thank you for advice. Went back and scored twice AM and PM at one of the store. The other store is out of $200 and $100 GC.

Last edited: May 5, 2015
    About Again likes this.
  25. druiddation
    Original Member

druiddation Gold Member

Status Points:
    The mergers are making this tougher. I drove a route Sunday that takes me by 6 OD/OMs and 2 of them were having store closing sales with almost no inventory left and zero gift cards. My 2nd store they told me someone was just there trying to buy $3,000 worth of the Visa GCs. They wouldn't let him because then they'd have to call in for approval the rest of the day. A young manager was called over for override or approval and he asked me what is it with these Ink cards and why does everyone buying these GCs always use an Ink card.

About Again likes this.