offer to upgrade 3 mo. after chase preferred downgrade to plain sapphire

Discussion in 'Other Credit Card Programs' started by cotter77, Feb 8, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. cotter77
    Original Member

cotter77 Silver Member

Status Points:
    i did my downgrade to avoid an annual fee.
    i wonder if i could upgrade, get the 2,500 points and get another year without fee?
    I am in the middle of house shopping so this stuff will wait until after closing on my house.
    I thought this should serve as an important FYI for those who got the preferred and looking to avoid annual fees.
    see below

For your account ending in
    Dear XXXXXXXXXX,
    [​IMG]
    YOU'RE INVITED TO UPGRADE TO CHASE SAPPHIRE PREFERRED AND RECEIVE 2,500 POINTS1
    Upgrade now to enjoy all the benefits of Chase Sapphire Preferred and get bonus points to bring you even closer to your next reward. Learn more about your special invitation to upgrade at today. If prompted, enter your personal invitation code: XXXXXXXXXXXX
    Upgrade today and start enjoying the premier benefits of Chase Sapphire Preferred.
    Respond to this offer by February 29, 2012 and as long as you continue to meet our credit criteria, you will receive a letter explaining your rights regarding your account, the annual fee and when it will apply, and other associated updates to your cardmember agreement. Your account number will remain the same and your current rewards balance will be transferred automatically to your new card. Your card may include a new expiration date, so when your new card arrives, please be sure to update any billers with this new date. Any credit card product changes prior to receipt of your new credit card fulfillment kit will forfeit this offer

Espan and tondoleo like this.
  2. Espan

Espan Silver Member

Status Points:
    so the points kinda cover the annual fee... is this common for Chase?

3. MDDCFlyer

MDDCFlyer Silver Member

Status Points:
    Please note that your cut and paste include your invitation code - I recommend you remove the link ASAP.

4. cotter77
    Original Member

cotter77 Silver Member

Status Points:
    basically....but take homr msg should be:
    1) you can down grade your preferred sapphire after a year to avoid annual fee and keep the acct open (no closing or new pull on CR, longer age of acct on CR)
    2) if you do downgrade, they might ask you to upgrade back = another year of preferred without the fee

5. particlemn

particlemn Silver Member

Status Points:
    I dont see any where in this offer that the fee is waived another year, it just says they will let you know about the fee after you apply.

kenbo likes this.
  6. kenbo
    Original Member

kenbo Silver Member

Status Points:
    This is what I took from it too.

Also, Chase doesn't normally allow cardholders to get the same benefit twice, at least in regards to bonus points. If we were to follow that same logic here, then I would guess that OP would not get the annual fee waived for the upgrade since they've already received that benefit.