Off Airport Locations

Discussion in 'National | Emerald Club' started by Speedster1978, Feb 6, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. I've rented a vehicle a few times now at my local Off Airport location, and while there has been no aisle service available, due to my Executive status they have been charging me two classes under what I actually drove off the lot.

I've also been able to reduce the weekly cost quite a bit due to the taxes at the local locations being way cheaper than at the airport locations, almost half the cost on one rental for instance. $160 for the week at the counter location with taxes added versus $300 with taxes at the airport.

I know this won't apply to a lot of us who are flying often, but if you ever need a vehicle while locally in an area, this is a great idea.

chestercat likes this.
  2. dkelly1110
    Original Member

dkelly1110 Silver Member

Status Points:
    I did rent at an off-airport location in Boston (near the train station). Like you said, the obvious savings is in a lot of the airport fees that are tacked on at most airports.

3. Yep, there is a ton of fees involved, airport locations totally take advantage of you!

4. Sweet Willie
    Original Member

Sweet Willie Gold Member

Status Points:
    Agreed, I've used the downtown Chicago location a number of times. Also, one can pick up at the downtown Chicago location but drop off at ORD w/o a drop fee or increase in per day rate.

The only downside personally is the hours of most off airport locations. I usually am picking up a car in the evening or very early morning so there are quite a few times where an off airport location won't work.

chestercat likes this.
  5. ssullivan
    Original Member

ssullivan Gold Member

Status Points:
    One of the best off-airport locations for saving on taxes and fees is Washington DC's Union Station. You can get a real bargain there redeeming free rental days – unlike most locations, especially airport locations, the taxes and fees on a free rental day redemption at that location work out to a whopping $0.00. I've redeemed free days many times when we needed a car for a day or two (live in DC, don't own a car) at the Washington Union Station location and have returned the car with a full tank and been given a receipt with a total of $0.00 on it. I've never redeemed free days at any other location that was 100% tax- and fee-free on free day redemptions.

6. SteveCMI

SteveCMI Active Member

Status Points:
    This is on the same topic but it's about an Enterprise offer and, since they own National, I thought I would share here. Enterprise is running a $9.99 weekend special. I'm staying at the Scottsdale Hilton Resort and Villas this weekend and will shuttle to the hotel and PU my weekend rental at the on-site Enterprise location for $23.42 AI vs. $30+++/day at the airport.

7. chemist562
    Original Member

chemist562 In Memorian

Status Points:
    I did that about 9 years ago in Austin, Took a bus to DT (I lived there for 6 years in the 1980's) and snagged the same 9.99 weekend special. Cost me 1/3 what it would have cost at the airport. [​IMG]

I rent alot from Hertz Local Edition (HLE) because there are alot around where I live. I dislike high taxes/fees. [​IMG] I also rented a few times from local National offices and were decent.

8. Sweet Willie
    Original Member

Sweet Willie Gold Member

Status Points:
    Just FYI, the $9.99 special only allows 100 miles per day, otherwise it is $0.20 per mile above limit. My weekend rentals typically go into the 600+ miles so they don't work for me. I think they took into consideration people like me as I used to use the $9.99 specials all the time because there were not any mileage limits years ago.[​IMG]

9. rustyr
    Original Member

rustyr Active Member

Status Points:
    You are lucky to be able to do that- there must be a small # of renters that do that between the 2 locations as it would be a hassle for them to go out to ORD to get back their cars to replenish their fleet and eventually charge you for that.Can you rent from ORD and do a one-way dwntwn w/out drop charge?

10. Sweet Willie
    Original Member

Sweet Willie Gold Member

Status Points:
    yes you can, BUT one incurs the extra airport taxes ~$16, so a rental from downtown-ORD would be a more economical choice.

11. Sam Axe
    Original Member

Sam Axe Silver Member

Status Points:
    I do the ORD/MDW-downtown a couple of times each summer. Typically I'll fly back from a client site on Friday night, keep the rental for the weekend and drive a couple of hundred miles away, drop it off downtown on Monday and walk the five blocks to the office, then take Metra home and a $12 cab from there. Third day is usually free. I don't do the reverse because that would require me to haul luggage on Metra and that's a big PITA.

I also use DC Union Station for one way rentals, as I do a lot of IAD/BWI open jaws in both directions, usually mixing friends and clients as I have a lot of both in the general area. Union Station lets me segregate my work and leisure expenses, keep the weekend rate for those pesky Fri-Tue or Wed-Sun four-day rentals, and get an extra rental credit toward EEE, 1-2-Free, etc.

12. Sam Axe
    Original Member

Sam Axe Silver Member

Status Points:
    I just booked a car out of Chicago downtown for a business trip next week - $34/day plus 20% + 3.50/day tax. Only problem is that they didn't accept premium/luxury, so I'm stuck with a full size, and hopefully they won't play games with me and try to get me to take a Malibu.

But if they do, my car is only five blocks away (I have monthly parking, so I'll just let the car sit in the lot and take the rental) and I'll walk away from the reservation if they give me any grief.

13. 2soonold
    Original Member

2soonold Gold Member

Status Points:
    Back in the day, I think I remember National having a location on the northside that had an office in a trailer:D.
    But nowadays it's all at the airport.