Odds of keeping upgraded room when combining paid + award bookings?

Discussion in 'Hyatt | Gold Passport' started by TheBeerHunter, Aug 2, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. TheBeerHunter
    Original Member

TheBeerHunter Silver Member

Status Points:
    Hi,

I'm brand spanking new to Hyatt and was wondering what are the odds of keeping the upgraded room when one does a combined paid + award bookings, when using your suite upgrade on the paid night?

I have a reservation at the GH Tokyo later this month using my 2 free nights from Chase. I was considering spending one extra night here before that reservation starts, paying for the room, and using my Diamond upgrade certificate for it. Will they downgrade me for the reward stay portion of my reservation, or let me keep the suite?

uggboy and JohnDeere19 like this.
  2. JohnDeere19
    Original Member

JohnDeere19 Gold Member

Status Points:
    If they need the room, they'll probably bump you out, but if not, I wouldn't be surprised if they let you stay in the upgraded suite.

uggboy and Kaanapali like this.
  3. Kaanapali
    Original Member

Kaanapali Gold Member

Status Points:
    This is probably the best answer you can get from anyone here. If you really wanted to help your chances, you may want to think about booking the same number of paid nights as free nights (since the upgrade cert will work up to 4 nights) and then contacting the GM of the hotel via email and respectfully requesting can anything be done to keep you in the suite for the extra 2 nights.

uggboy and JohnDeere19 like this.
  4. TheBeerHunter
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Thank you JohnDeere19 & Kaanapali for your responses. I realize that no one can tell me exactly what will happen; I was more wondering whether Hyatt brands in general tend to let you stay in upgraded rooms, or have some internal policy specifically disallowing this, since I have no experience with this at this brand at all.

Unfortunately, I can't book the same amount of revenue nights as award -- one night is the max additional I can do. I've got to go spend time at one of the InterContinental hotels as well. Chasing status is tough work! ;)

I will probably go for it and see what happens. Getting downgraded to exactly what I booked isn't the end of the world!

uggboy, Kaanapali and JohnDeere19 like this.
  5. BurBunny
    Original Member

BurBunny Silver Member

Status Points:
    I've had good luck with that type of situation when the paid room is the first night of a stay. It's hassle for the hotel to move you as well, so unless they have need for that category, and nothing else to put others into which is at or above that room category, they usually will let you stay where you are.

TheBeerHunter and uggboy like this.
  6. uggboy
    Original Member

uggboy Gold Member

Status Points:
    I would bet the same!:)

7. flyer_o

flyer_o Gold Member

Status Points:
    This has been my experience as well. I frequently split my 2 night into 1 paid/1 award night and apply a suite UG. I've never been asked to move out after the first night

TheBeerHunter and uggboy like this.
  8. paladin87
    Original Member

paladin87 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Generally they will find a way to keep you in your room. As others have said, they CAN move you if they have to, but I have found that they will let you stay. I have never been made to move when I have confirmed a suite for x nights and 1 night was not possible to confirm, or on your type of situation.

9. TheBeerHunter
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Well, I am sad to report back that I am at the Grand Hyatt Tokyo now, and at check in they informed me that we need to switch rooms today as our suite room is "sold out" :( We only got here around 5PM last night, so we'll have our Exec Suite for less than 24 hours when all is said and done. (Great room, btw!)

Maybe other properties are more generous, and of course I can't fault them if they really sold the rooms. They're putting me in what I booked, after all. But I'm still a bit disappointed. I'm a new (doing a challenge) DIA, I'm a Royal Amb with InterContinental, and I have never been moved rooms when I booked a higher level with cash and the remainder with points at ICs, so I'm a wee bit surprised by this.