Odd Problem booking award on CO.com

Discussion in 'United Airlines | MileagePlus' started by nova, Feb 17, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. nova

nova Silver Member

Status Points:
    OK, first off I'm currently on hold, and have been for nearly an hour, trying to talk to a person who can maybe book my flight.

My wife and I have a four city European trip coming up this summer. I booked the outbound as a first class one way some weeks ago and am now trying to book the return again as a one way.

Wife really wanted to hit Switzerland so I found a pretty decent itinerary from Zurich to HSV again in first class, passing through EWR and IAH. UA979 -> CO1178 -> CO4146

When I get to selecting seats, I can pick a first class seat on UC979 but can't pick anything but economy on CO1178. CO4146 is economy only so it really doesn't matter.

I'm afraid to book as is with seats in coach on the chance I can't get it sorted out later.

Does anybody know whats going on here? I'd appreciate any information....

2. Mackieman
    Original Member

Mackieman Gold Member

Status Points:
    Specific dates would help facilitate accurate information, but it sounds like one segment has First/Business space and the other one is economy only. You can book this and pay the first/business rate, but you'll be on the waitlist for the fare bucket to open on that particular segment.

nova likes this.
  3. nova

nova Silver Member

Status Points:
    Whoops. 27 July 2012.

That information helps significantly though. If I'm dropping the miles for a first award I don't want to be in coach for a decent portion of the trip.

I just noticed there's a not quite as desirable (leaves a little earlier than I want) itinerary from Geneva that I may go with...

4. Mackieman
    Original Member

Mackieman Gold Member

Status Points:
    [​IMG]

The mixed cabin alert is the key there. The I fare bucket is not open for the EWR-IAH flight (this is common with the hub flights) but may open at various times before your flights. Were it me, I would go ahead an book it and watch it like a hawk, prepared to call in as soon as the fare bucket opens.

Or head out of Geneva. :)

nova likes this.
  5. nova

nova Silver Member

Status Points:
    OK that makes sense. I thought the mixed cabin alert was only for the final leg that's an economy only flight. I'll have to file this information away for future use.

I just booked the Geneva flight though. I want everything confirmed and it was only leaving 1.5 hours earlier anyway. Plus we get to see a little more of the Alps on the train trip from Vienna to Geneva.

Mackieman likes this.
  6. 2wheels

2wheels Silver Member

Status Points:
    I think EF allows for a free alert now as well.

7. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    If you hover your pointer over the "mixed cabin" alert it will tell you exactly which flights are in which buckets. And, in addition to watit, you can call in and have the CO metal segments wait-listed for the better cabin.

nova likes this.
  8. nova

nova Silver Member

Status Points:
    You know, I'm a fairly smart guy, I sure didn't get to be an engineer based on my looks, but sometimes this airline stuff just does a completely flyby (no pun intended) on me. You would think I could find that out myself without having to be told.

Anyway, more good info to file away for future use.

9. redtailshark

redtailshark Silver Member

Status Points:
    Be happy. Be very happy that CO.COM is this easy to use, this transparent and this information-rich. Try this on DL.COM and report back.

10. nova

nova Silver Member

Status Points:
    I have played around with DL a bit because being in the SE, the few times I've had to fly for business, they've had the most options. Never done anything with award travel though.

It honestly blows my mind how these systems can be THIS poorly implemented. In the last 15 years, legions of software engineers have reshaped the internet so that any idiot can log on and do just about anything effortlessly and yet you still have to fight the infrastructure for airline tickets.

To me, it seems like that would be some low hanging fruit for efficiency improvements and cost cutting. A little bit of capital investment on the IT system letting the customer do more themselves would cut the continuing expense that is having employees sitting on the phone, without undercutting service....

genemk2 and Flyer1976 like this.