Odd Delta Award issue (Self-canceling Award)

Discussion in 'Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles' started by Andyandy, Sep 20, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. Andyandy
    Original Member

Andyandy Gold Member

Status Points:
    I recently booked a TATL award on Delta's website. (cue gasps of amazement) The award was in O (cue look of shocked disbelief) and was at the "low" miles level. (Okay, now you've stopped reading entirely, because I must be lying.) I put the award on hold and transferred in some Starpoints. Last night I logged in and saw that the starpoints had arrived and the itinerary was good 'til today. So I transferred in the remainder of the miles I needed from Amex MR.

Here's the odd part. When I went back to Delta, my itinerary was GONE and the flights were no longer available at "low". I fixed myself an Irish whiskey and prepared for battle. Called DL and got nowhere with the ticketing folks, but eventually (after escalation to a supervisor) my itinerary was restored. She told me that I (or "someone online") had cancelled the award thirty minutes previously. No way, didn't happen. Where it gets really weird is that this exact same scenario happened to me last year on a TATL "low" O booking.

So, am I under a curse, or is this some sort of tactic to discourage redemptions, and enhance revnue?

Andyandy

marcwint55 likes this.
  2. marcwint55

marcwint55 Gold Member

Status Points:
    sounds like someone at Delta is canceling your reservations.

3. ballardFlyer

ballardFlyer Gold Member

Status Points:
    I've had held DL awards cancel before the listed time myself but not since last Nov.

On TOBB in the delta.com bug thread I recall talk of awards being easily lost when just on hold.

I don't trust DL.com until I see the etix.

4. redtailshark

redtailshark Silver Member

Status Points:
    Nooo!! * gasp * Hau! Please tell secret of age!

I can't read any more. This proves you must be lying....

Muahaha! This is where you really feel it, girding for battle with DL SMS. This reminds me of an epic two hour battle conducted at KUL airport on Skype.... which didn't get resolved until I had to call SQ general member CS and get myself offloaded before my re-issued DL ticket could be validated. Yes back when we could fly SQ on DL SM awards.... Aaanyway...

A: All of the above.

It certainly is [​IMG] BEST IN CLASS [​IMG]

Good thing that UA don't do this with my award itins....

DiverDave and Andyandy like this.
  5. mattsteg
    Original Member

mattsteg Gold Member

Status Points:
    TATL O has actually usually been pretty easy to find (domestic segments are the killer), although unless it was for next summer you did manage to book during a period where availability had gone to crap.

The site can glitch, also AF/KL were pulling the rug out from unticketed reservations the past few days so you may have hit that.

Andyandy likes this.
  6. Mapsmith
    Original Member

Mapsmith Gold Member

Status Points:
    Never having to deal with a complex Delta Award issue (I am not lying). I am wondering if the 'glitch' is caused by revisiting the 'held' itinerary without completing the booking. My software for my store will cancel holds and quotes by revisiting them. Unless during the 'revisit' you make sure that the hold is reinstated.

Is this what is happening???

Going to a held itinerary and then not 'reholding' it might be what cancels the itinerary.

Andyandy likes this.
  7. Andyandy
    Original Member

Andyandy Gold Member

Status Points:
    Shouldn't be. the "my itinerary" section on Delta.com allows you to revisit without cancelling (I've done so a number of times). There is a "cancel this itinerary" button, but it requires confirmation on a second screen and would be hard do do inadvertently. That's not to say it couldn't be a glitch. We are talking about Delta IT after all.

All on DL metal, so I'm thinking it was a glitch. I suppose I should give Delta the benefit of Hanlon's Razor (Never attribute to malice what can be explained by stupidity) or Robert Conquest's third law of politics (The simplest way to explain the behavior of any bureaucratic organization is to assume that it is controlled by a cabal of its enemies.)

Andyandy

Mapsmith likes this.