Odd AA Upgrade Issue

Discussion in 'American Airlines | AAdvantage' started by Pizzaman, Sep 14, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. Pizzaman
    Original Member

Pizzaman Co-founder

Status Points:
    I have a connecting flight that departs at 12:30 PDT today (so, outside the 4-hour window for airport control). My first flight had cleared right at the 100 hour window, but my connecting flight still had not. I went and looked at Expert Flyer, and it showed 1 seat in sticker inventory. I called AA to ask about my upgrade (which showed requested online), and she was able to go ahead and process the upgrade.

As an EXP, I've never seen this happen. It's not the same thing as the 4-hour window where you could use the automated system to jump the line. Have others seen this behavior before?

2. NYBanker
    Original Member

NYBanker Gold Member

Status Points:
    Interesting. I've had a similar situation on DL twice in the last year (involving sticker upgrades), but not AA on stickers. I have had problems with waitlists for AA SWU upgrades (principally J to F on transcon) not clearing, despite the inventory opening. (I use EF's alerts for the inventory now as AA has proven unreliable for SWU waitlisting for me.)

Two questions:
    1) Did the agent see the "upgrade request" as well? Or did that topic not come up?
    2) Could you explain this four hour jump the queue tactic? I'm not familiar with it.

Tenmoc likes this.
  3. Pizzaman
    Original Member

Pizzaman Co-founder

Status Points:
    Back in the day (others will correct me if this is still around, but I don't think it is), you could call the automated line somewhere between 4 and 3 hours from your departure time. Some people used to say 3, I had I work as far out as 4. Using the automated system, you could request your upgrade again, and there was a high degree of likelihood the system would clear it regardless of your status or place in line.

The agent did acknowledge that had requested an upgrade and said it would most likely clear later. I politely asked her to double-check it right then, and she confirmed me. Afterwards, EF showed the new inventory as 0.

4. gemac
    Original Member

gemac Silver Member

Status Points:
    This anomaly has been present for many years. The creation of X inventory is a batch process. The assigning of X inventory to those who have requested upgrades is a separate batch process. The running of the first batch program does not automatically trigger an immediate running of the second batch program. If you call in after the first program has been run, but before the second has run, the AAgent can upgrade you. The AAgent is supposed to check the upgrade list to make sure that you are first on the list. We have no way of knowing whether that check actually takes place in a given instance, but we suspect that it does not always take place.

5. Pizzaman
    Original Member

Pizzaman Co-founder

Status Points:
    gemac, thanks. Always a fountain of knowledge. You would think I would have seen that by now.

6. sukn
    Original Member

sukn Silver Member

Status Points:
    Phone agents, including the EXP desk, do not have access to the domestic sticker upgrade list. However, they do have access to the eVIP waitlist, but most will not share that information with passengers per protocol.

7. manfromkrypton
    Original Member

manfromkrypton Silver Member

Status Points:
    Actually they do have access to the full list - had an agent tell me exactly where on the list I was, and where on the list my father traveling on the same flight was with only his name, nothing else. When I asked, they did say they could see the full list.

8. sukn
    Original Member

sukn Silver Member

Status Points:
    Don't know what to say about the accuracy of what you were told. I certainly did double check before posting.