Octopus card - how long is it valid?

Discussion in 'Asia' started by taiwaned, May 6, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. taiwaned
    Original Member

taiwaned Silver Member

Status Points:
    How long does the Octopus card stay valid? We have to go to HK every year at least once and was wondering if it was worth buying and keeping the card.

savydog likes this.
  2. milchap
    Original Member

milchap Gold Member

Status Points:
    The Octopus Card is deactivated if it has not had value added to it (ie "top-up") for a period of 1000 days or more. It can be reactivated at any MTR station Customer Service Centre.

3. taiwaned
    Original Member

taiwaned Silver Member

Status Points:
    Thanks - reactivation means they will reactivate whatever funds that is still on the card? Is this indefinite? For example, if I don't go back for 10 years, would they still be willing to reactivate the card with the funds still in it?

4. milchap
    Original Member

milchap Gold Member

Status Points:
    I don't know.

5. wingspan
    Original Member

wingspan Silver Member

Status Points:
    Good question. I do the same thing with my Octopus card but I usually make sure that there is just enough to get me back to the airport and I top back up again when I land in HK.

taiwaned and savydog like this.
  6. savydog
    Original Member

savydog Gold Member

Status Points:
    yes I have 2 I keep and just came back from HK at easter. They were last used in 2009, no problem. A good idea is to put them in an envelope with a few hundred HK$ and then when you head off again you have options at the airport.

hulagrrl210, Horse and taiwaned like this.
  7. Maros

Maros New Member

Status Points:
    I have used my Octopus card after not using it almost 4 year. I used it first time in May 2009 and then again in March 2013. After I left Hong Kong in 2009 there was small negative balance on it (around 10 HKD). It was no problem to add value on it right on the airport on the desk (where Airport express ticket are sold) and use it again.
    Not sure if it was deactivated or something. So I dont know whether it was possible directly to add value on it in an Add value machine.