Observed at the SFO International Terminal

Discussion in 'United Airlines | MileagePlus' started by Infinite1K, Nov 19, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. Infinite1K
    Original Member

Infinite1K Silver Member

Status Points:
    If someone had been away from planet earth for the past two years and had returned today, judging by the tail paint jobs of the planes parked at the gates at SFO International Terminal G, they would have been very confused and would have thought that Continental had displaced United and moved in as the new tenant ;)

[​IMG]

The other thing that is striking about this photo is the lack of the normal cadre of 777-200s and 747-400s that you would normally see. It appears that United has started using the International Terminal G for quite a few domestic flights in the mornings/evenings, including flights to Chicago, Kona, Las Vegas, Los Angeles, Phoenix, San Diego, and Seattle.

The good news is that to support these new domestic departures, the International Red Carpet Club United Club is now open at 5am (UA.com hasn't been updated yet and still says 8am), so you don't need to trudge back and forth from the Terminal 3 club.

jupper, HeathrowGuy, Switch2 and 11 others like this.
  2. lhrsfo
    Original Member

lhrsfo Silver Member

Status Points:
    My last two domestic flights have arrived in the G concourse. It's a long trudge to the baggage reclaim, only then to have to retrace my steps to go to the car rental area. Despite the long trudge, there's still a long wait for the bags at SFO - I cannot understand why it take so long.

The picture is fantastic - normally it's such a mess with three different liveries for United, and usually a peeling one at that.

ducster, Scottrick and hulagrrl210 like this.
  3. hulagrrl210
    Original Member

hulagrrl210 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Yeah, where are all the 744's? What time of day was this taken?

ducster and NYBanker like this.
  4. unavaca
    Original Member

unavaca Gold Member

Status Points:
    I believe UA uses A320s and such for Mexico flights, which have to use the International terminal.

hulagrrl210 likes this.
  5. NYBanker
    Original Member

NYBanker Gold Member

Status Points:
    Based on the shadows, fairly early in the morning.

hulagrrl210 and Infinite1K like this.
  6. Infinite1K
    Original Member

Infinite1K Silver Member

Status Points:
    Taken around 7 in the morning.

hulagrrl210 likes this.
  7. Infinite1K
    Original Member

Infinite1K Silver Member

Status Points:
    Nicely done.

flyer_o, hulagrrl210 and NYBanker like this.
  8. Infinite1K
    Original Member

Infinite1K Silver Member

Status Points:
    And now the CO 738s that fly to Guadalajara. But there are also 752 and 763s in addition to Skywest CRJs.

hulagrrl210 likes this.
  9. hulagrrl210
    Original Member

hulagrrl210 Gold Member

Status Points:
    They do use a lot of A320's for Mexico but there's only 1 in the picture. I haven't flown SFO-Mexico in a while but in Denver they leave from the domestic gates.

10. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    I think they can depart from whatever gate they want at SFO, but they need to arrive at the international terminal.

I wonder if -- given the time -- some of these planes were simply parked overnight at the international terminal. That said, the OP is definitely right that there are domestic flights arriving and departing from the international terminal -- and I think it's increased in recent months.

hulagrrl210 and Scottrick like this.
  11. Rob
    Original Member

Rob Gold Member

Status Points:
    When PMCO moved over to T3, UA didn't really gain any other gates (maybe 1 I think from AC temporarily moving to the international terminals) to offset the increased usage, so more flights had to move to IT-G.

12. Scottrick
    Original Member

Scottrick Gold Member

Status Points:
    I've also noticed some of my domestic UA/CO flights arriving at the international S satellite in SEA. With the merger, I can never predict what gate I'll be at anymore.

13. hulagrrl210
    Original Member

hulagrrl210 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Domestic flights out of the International terminal is definitely nothing new- I've seen some of the Hawaii flights leave from there on occasion and I left on a 757 red-eye to Chicago long before CO moved to T3. That does make sense though after the move, that UA might be a little short of space now. I wonder what will happen to American's old gates now that they moved in with Virgin America. That would be the perfect place for UA/CO domestic flights to take over, however by no means am I complaining about the current set-up. Access to the International RCC or "United Club" is a plus.

14. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

Status Points:
    I thought US is moving in and AC moving back, to bring all "domestic" *A carriers under one roof.

hulagrrl210 likes this.
  15. EWR764
    Original Member

EWR764 Silver Member

Status Points:
    The 60-67 gate area is currently undergoing renovation. When that is completed, US and AC are to move in. It is widely speculated that UA will also have space there, since the combined US/AC operation would leave several gates unoccupied. I have not yet seen official confirmation that UA will take some of the gates, though.

That area would be a good spot for a much-needed 3rd UA club at SFO.

FriendlySkies likes this.
  16. bungalow1225

bungalow1225 Active Member

Status Points:
    Agree!! There's usually a gray be-tuliped 737 taxiing nearby, with TED livery visible through the peeling paint.

meFIRST likes this.
  17. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Quite unlikely given that UA's 737 fleet was retired years ago. And The TED fleet was exclusively Airbus A320s. And I don't think they ever paint a new livery on top of an old one (the old livery gets stripped off).

But otherwise you're right, there are still some gray livery aircraft around.

LETTERBOY likes this.
  18. hulagrrl210
    Original Member

hulagrrl210 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I was sorting through pictures this morning and found this one taken a few years ago at SFO IMG_1336.jpg

19. Scottrick
    Original Member

Scottrick Gold Member

Status Points:
    I hate to say it, but I sort of prefer the new livery now. I'm so easily brainwashed.

Of course, I still like the tulip. It would have been nice if they could have incorporated it somehow. And the red carpet instead of the invisible blue one. But maybe those concerns will also disappear as the SMI/J continues working his magic on me... :eek:

20. hulagrrl210
    Original Member

hulagrrl210 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I always kind of liked the CO livery too, but on CO planes. On United...not so much.

21. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Now those are real airplanes ;)

hulagrrl210 likes this.
  22. Hartmann
    Original Member

Hartmann Gold Member

Status Points:
    You mean the grease smeared tulip isn't to your liking? ;)

hulagrrl210 likes this.
  23. ducster
    Original Member

ducster Gold Member

Status Points:
    That's a great picture too, hulagrrl210!

Speaking of liveries, I was driving on 101 today, and I thought I saw a United with the old grey body and the new tail, as if the plane was pulled into services in the middle of getting its paint job. I didn't pay that much attention because I didn't want to crash the car, but I'm wondering if I was just seeing things.

hulagrrl210 likes this.
  24. Infinite1K
    Original Member

Infinite1K Silver Member

Status Points:
    I'll take the planes that have the seats with 34-36" of legroom (even if the outside paint had some grease on it) over a plane that looks clean on the outside, but has rock hard 31" pitch seats on the inside.

hulagrrl210 likes this.
  25. Hartmann
    Original Member

Hartmann Gold Member

Status Points:
    When the E+ conversion is finished you can have both. Not sure why you have to be such a new UA grinch. :p

lhrsfo and HaveMilesWillTravel like this.