Obscene T-Shirt Gets Man Banned From Flying

Discussion in 'Travel Security' started by sobore, Sep 20, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. sobore
    Original Member

sobore Gold Member

Status Points:
    http://www.myfoxphilly.com/dpp/news/local_news/Airline_Bans_Passenger_Over_F-Bomb_T-Shirt_092011

A man wearing an obscene T-shirt says he was banned from getting on his flight at Chicago's O'Hare International Airport.
    Mike Bahari was passing through O'Hare the other night on his way from New York to Oklahoma .
    When he missed connections, he was stuck in Chicago overnight without his luggage. The only shirt he had was the one he was wearing.
    We can't show you what it says, but it has the "F" word printed on it in bold lettering. It wasn't a problem flying into O'Hare

But when he got there, the people at American Airlines didn't think the T-shirt was so cool.
    Bahari did turn his shirt inside out, but he was still denied.
    The airline says they are within their rights to reject passengers "clothed in a manner that would cause discomfort or offense to other passengers."

Read More: http://www.myfoxphilly.com/dpp/news/local_news/Airline_Bans_Passenger_Over_F-Bomb_T-Shirt_092011

Lufthansa Flyer and uggboy like this.
  2. milchap
    Original Member

milchap Gold Member

Status Points:
    If the shirt was turned inside out and the offensive material disappereared what is the problem?

3. uggboy
    Original Member

uggboy Gold Member

Status Points:
    Would like to have a look too! NO? YES!:D

4. Mapsmith
    Original Member

Mapsmith Gold Member

Status Points:
    I have to applaud AA for rejecting him and his shirt (even inside out). His behavior as demonstrated by even wearing such a shirt, shows that he wants to shock other people.

In my opinion, the wearing of "Shock" Apparel has gotten out of hand. In a polite society, a person considers the others around and should not intentionally "shock" them. In my business, I have asked people to leave because of what they were wearing (or even being shirtless).

The Shirt the guy was wearing should not be even produced.

Again, all of this is my own personal opinion. But I think the guy was being a supersized jerk even wearing such a shirt.

chrislacey, MissBurrill, Sagy and 3 others like this.
  5. sobore
    Original Member

sobore Gold Member

Status Points:
    Agree. When you enter a confined space with numerous people it’s time to enter ‘neutral mode’ for a few hours.
    Once you de-plane you can go back to your causes, shock apparel or any other behaviors you have been suppressing during flight.

6. Dovster
    Original Member

Dovster Gold Member

Status Points:
    Why is this a TS&S issue? Shouldn't it be on the AA Forum?

mht_flyer and Tkey like this.
  7. PhlyingRPh
    Original Member

PhlyingRPh Silver Member

Status Points:
    So, if the T-shirt was inside out, I would be extremely offended if I were a reverse dyslexic with mirror x-ray vision. Good call AA and thank you for your "cuffing" service (not)

8. mrredskin
    Original Member

mrredskin Gold Member

Status Points:
    alright, i'm wondering how many on here are going to say this guy deserved not to fly but the "guy" that flies US in women's underwear is acceptable.

9. kansaskeith

kansaskeith Gold Member

Status Points:
    Boy, how times have changed! About 25 years ago I was flying AA first-class domestic (like a 727 or an MD-80) and took a walk to the rear of the cabin. When I returned forward to the "curtain," a coach F/A stopped me and said only first-class passengers could proceed. I told him I was one, pointed to my seat, and that was that. Except he came by five minutes later to graciously apologize, making it was clear that my (clean and neat, not ripped) Levi's 501s had made him assume I was a coach passenger. What would he have done had I had this guy's shirt on? lol (Still, I can't really blame AA for what they did this week in Chicago, particularly before he turned it inside out.)

Mapsmith likes this.
  10. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    I just flew through ORD yesterday. There were plenty of t-shirts for sale. If it was important for him to fly, surely he could have bought a new one? In fact, if I had been stuck there overnight without my suitcase, I would for sure have bought one and made AA pay for it (no matter what my original t-shirt was saying).

Mapsmith likes this.
  11. Travel2Food
    Original Member

Travel2Food Silver Member

Status Points:
    So a shirt with the "F" word is sufficient to get a guy tossed from an AA flight? Why didn't they do anything about the (attractive) woman wearing a loose T-shirt with ripped off sleeves, ripped halfway down her torso, and no bra? She'd have covered more of her breasts if she were wearing a smock. It was amusing to watch every guy in the gate area angle to get a couple of eyes full.

BWI-DFW about 2-3 years ago. My how times have changed.

12. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    Because these decisions are made by humans (gate agents), and AA has thousands of them that make these decisions based on their own interpretation of guidelines given to them.

13. gobluetwo
    Original Member

gobluetwo Silver Member

Status Points:
    Would it be inappropriate to say that this comment is worthless without pics??? ;)

Chamonix and rwoman like this.