Obama orders streamlining of foreign tourist visas (The USA wants YOU!)

Discussion in 'Brazil' started by jbcarioca, Jan 20, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. jbcarioca
    Original Member

jbcarioca Gold Member

Status Points:
    http://www.reuters.com/article/2012/01/20/uk-obama-tourism-idUSLNE80J01E20120120

as Reuters reports it. This US seems to want more of the $6bn that Brazilians spend in the US each year, and maybe more of that Chinese money too. Somehow they think that maybe they are losing some money by making Brazilians wait 76 days for a visa interview (SP) and a half day or so for the actual mandatory personal interview. Not to mention the actual out of pocket visa fees of more tahn $100. Whatever makes them think that would be a disincentive?:confused:

2. TRAVELSIG
    Original Member

TRAVELSIG Gold Member

Status Points:
    Brazil and North America (Canada is practically as bad as the USA) "normalizing" their relations regarding visas would be a very welcome step in the right direction. It is absurd in both directions at the moment. Grow up kids and lets get down to business!

OY-JFS, jwsky, canucklehead and 2 others like this.
  3. jbcarioca
    Original Member

jbcarioca Gold Member

Status Points:
    This does not mean visa waiver for Chinese nor Brazilians, but elimination sof the ridiculous interview for repeat issuances and "low risk" applicants, which seems to mean only elderly people and others with lots of money.

TRAVELSIG, canucklehead and Kalboz like this.
  4. jwsky
    Original Member

jwsky Silver Member

Status Points:
    As an American budget traveler, the $100 visa fees to Brazil, Argentina and Bolivia really discourage me. And I am sure they feel the same about coming here to the US. This tit for tat taxing of especially friendly tourists needs to stop.

Kalboz, Gaucho and jbcarioca like this.
  5. jbcarioca
    Original Member

jbcarioca Gold Member

Status Points:
    From our pont of view it is reciprocity. The US started visas for Brazilians in 1978 in retaliation for human rights abuses of our old military government. It, among other things, imprisoned our current President. It is hard to see who is served by making people wait six months for an appointment for a personal interview. At least Brazil is not that offensive to anyone. That Americans get discouraged when they have minimal bureaucracy and a similar fee makes the point. I wish Americans would agitate for an end to this insanity!! The day the US stops with that, Brazil will too. I imagine China will also make life easier, but about that one I do not know.

Kalboz, OY-JFS and TRAVELSIG like this.
  6. TRAVELSIG
    Original Member

TRAVELSIG Gold Member

Status Points:
    Exactly. All three parties (United States, Canada, Brazil) need to repair this situation which is costing all three of them thousands of jobs and millions of dollars a year in lost opportunities due to ignorance and bureaucratic pettiness.

Kalboz, OY-JFS and jbcarioca like this.
  7. jbcarioca
    Original Member

jbcarioca Gold Member

Status Points:
    Frankly, I blame the US. Brazil now has full reciprocity with most of Asia, the entire EU, Russia, etc. The US still acts as though the rest of the world is pining to illegally immigrate. Canada is weird in this respect. I cannot understand why Swaziland and Namibia do not require a visa and Brazilians and Bahrainis do? I understand the US; they fear everyone wants to be there. But Canada actively encourages these same people to immigrate, just not come as visitors. Have any clues about that?

Kalboz, OY-JFS and TRAVELSIG like this.
  8. TRAVELSIG
    Original Member

TRAVELSIG Gold Member

Status Points:
    jbcarioca and Kalboz like this.
  9. Gaucho
    Original Member

Gaucho Gold Member

Status Points:
    Argentina also imposes the Fee on the basis of reciprocity.

Having said this, I have good contacts at the US Embassy in Buenos Aires, and this officer (from the Consular Section) tells me that the current denial rate for Visas in Buenos Aires is well into the required rate to put back Argentina on the Visa Waiver program.... however, its the idiocy of the current K Regime that is blocking this from happening.... apparently, the US State Department wants to accelerate the Waiver program but our Cancilleria is showing no interest. He tells me that is costs Washington an arm and a leg to operate the entire Visa process in countries like Argentina and Brazil.... so apart from Obama wanting the tourists, I guess he also wants to watch the budget....

10. Gaucho
    Original Member

Gaucho Gold Member

Status Points:
    Its the same here in Argentina. My Aunt had to get a Visa for Canada and even though she has had many passports before, all full of stamps and a US Visa in everyone of them, getting a Canadian visitors visa was a huge pain in the rear.... very weird indeed.