Oahu-bound passengers stuck in San Francisco 'ready to riot'

Discussion in 'United Airlines | MileagePlus' started by Infinite1K, Apr 2, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. Infinite1K
    Original Member

Infinite1K Silver Member

Status Points:
    TheBeerHunter and redwoman like this.
  2. avflyer
    Original Member

avflyer Silver Member

Status Points:
    OMG.....

3. mikeef
    Original Member

mikeef Silver Member

Status Points:
    Nothing like a little empathy, huh?

Mike

Flyer1976, LETTERBOY and avflyer like this.
  4. redwoman

redwoman Silver Member

Status Points:
    I had a hard time following the chronology in the article. I thought that it was an FAA rule that pax were to be let off of the plane after 3 hours.

If it were me, before I went to the airport the next morning, I would have checked my flight status. If pax don't do that, then I don't have a lot of support for them when they get upset.

I guess what I'm saying is that this article isn't very well written and I'm not sure if poor handling by UA caused the discontent, or lack of understanding and planning by the pax caused their own grief. I admit I have yet to experience irrops by the new UA; perhaps I will view it differently when that time comes.

5. Anglo Large Clawed Otter
    Original Member

Anglo Large Clawed Otter Gold Member

Status Points:
    Don't worry. The new United has recently put this guy in charge of customer relations at SFO:

[​IMG]

6. Menashe

Menashe Silver Member

Status Points:
    I am always very skeptical of the information I get online, even from the airline directly. If the airline said they should meet a bus at 4 AM to get on their flight and there's a bus there at 4 AM, what passenger will stay at the hotel because they prefer to believe the airline website?

LETTERBOY, redwoman and WanderLuster like this.
  7. WanderLuster
    Original Member

WanderLuster Silver Member

Status Points:
    This! I can't count the number of times the website has been wrong for my flights....I've learned, sadly, to not rely on the website.

Infinite1K likes this.
  8. desamo

desamo Gold Member

Status Points:
    I can't help but feel this is a "hole in the bucket" problem. Clearly, these people were on edge because they needed to be in Hawaii, but couldn't, and thus....

9. kw335
    Original Member

kw335 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Could they have rerouted or rebooked on another UA flight (or even on other airlines given this is a mx case)? Hell, if I were to be delayed for 24 hours, I would have asked to be rerouted via DEN, IAH, ORD, or even EWR for more miles :D

perryplatypus and hulagrrl210 like this.
  10. Infinite1K
    Original Member

Infinite1K Silver Member

Status Points:
    I've noticed that the website/gate departure board information truthiness has been on the decline since 3/3. Particularly when you factor in that a 757 now needs 45 minutes to board (versus 30 minutes before).

Case and point I had a flight that was scheduled to depart at 12:25p, but the incoming flight was delayed and instead of arriving at 11:14a, was scheduled to arrive at 12:02p. The equipment was a 757, so it would be needing the new 45 minutes to board. Incredibly, the website and the departure boards said that my flight was only delayed by 10 minutes and the new departure time was 12:35p.

Any second grader can do the math to figure out that the new departure time was pure fantasy.

And sure enough, the actual departure time ended up being 1:10p.

WanderLuster likes this.
  11. Pat89339
    Original Member

Pat89339 Gold Member

Status Points:
    UA73 is scheduled for departure at 4:20 p.m. If they were held on the plane for 3 hours before returning to the airport, the last HNL bound flight would have already departed. As for other flights the next day, the loads to HNL this week and next are very high with both Easter and Spring Break crowds. Bump opportunities are very good, in my experience, on this route this time of year (as long as you really don't need to get there the same day). :)

It still bugs me that CO took all flight numbers from 1-200 last year. UA73 was my regular PMUA outbound morning flight for more years than I can remember; the same with UA74 return.

12. redwoman

redwoman Silver Member

Status Points:
    Point taken. I should try not to blame the victim. I guess that I don't trust anyone and checking 3 times with another source usually serves me well. I also have low expectations such that when things happen as they should, I'm amazed. I forget that most people expect that things will go well, and they believe what they're told. I just think that approach combined with air travel is a recipe for much wailing and gnashing of teeth.

Believe it or not, I am the type of person who wouldn't have gotten on the bus. I would have spent the night re-routing to avoid the mess entirely, because i would have had no faith that it would have been fixed by morning.;)

Menashe likes this.
  13. desamo

desamo Gold Member

Status Points:
    Unfortunately, they were probably all Y0 or very close to it given the time of year.

Hell, I have flights for Xmas that are already Y0 (and with an un-cleared Y-up, no less).

14. bmg42000
    Original Member

bmg42000 Gold Member

Status Points:
    when I took my hooneymoon to HNL 14 years ago, it took UA 3 tries to find a 747 that could fly to HNL . These things happen.

15. unavaca
    Original Member

unavaca Gold Member

Status Points:
    It seems like loads are insanely high right now. Lots of people left behind on the standby list when the last LAS-SFO left last night. Given that it's LAS, I wouldn't be surprised if many of those were people who missed their earlier flights.

16. HiIslands
    Original Member

HiIslands Silver Member

Status Points:
    Here's a little more information on the chronology of events:

HONOLULU - A United Airlines flight from San Francisco to Honolulu on Saturday was delayed by 28 hours, according to passengers.

United Flight 73 was supposed to leave the Bay Area at 1:40 p.m. Hawaii time on Saturday. The flight arrived in Honolulu Sunday at 5:30 p.m.

Passengers said they were given meal vouchers and hotel accommodations. But, they only spent three hours in the hotel, because they were told to be back for their flight.

Delays were associated to mechanical problems with the plane, according to United officials. That plane was switched out Saturday night but airline officials ran into problems the next day with the new plane.

Passengers ended up waiting on the tarmac twice for several hours each time. Water was served during those waits.

Passengers said they were not given much information about their delays and why they were happening. They said family and friends in Hawaii knew more about their situation.

Source: http://www.kitv.com/news/hawaii/Uni...urs/-/8905354/10067102/-/8yev5lz/-/index.html

17. RestlessLocationSyndrome
    Original Member

RestlessLocationSyndrome Silver Member

Status Points:
    Sorry to hear this happened to these passengers. My guess is that short of being premium members, that everyone on this flight will be flying some other airline in the future... especially to Hawaii.

18. bonnerbl
    Original Member

bonnerbl Gold Member

Status Points:
    Good example of the need to communicate, communicate, communicate.

19. unavaca
    Original Member

unavaca Gold Member

Status Points:
    Whee. This is going to get worse as more sCO planes take over sUA routes on the West Coast. sCO just doesn't have the maintenance ops that UA has out here. At the end of the day, SFO is still an outstation for sCO... which means irrops will be handled accordingly. Blah.

Flyer1976 likes this.
  20. sfogate
    Original Member

sfogate Gold Member

Status Points:
    This route is being flown by sUA metal and crew.

21. unavaca
    Original Member

unavaca Gold Member

Status Points:
    Hm. I'm looking at UA73 later this month and it looks like it's on a 764, which must be sCO, since sUA doesn't have any 764s. Is this right?

22. sfogate
    Original Member

sfogate Gold Member

Status Points:
    Since March 3, PSS day, I have been doing on-the-job training with sUA agents on Shares. I have not been keeping up with who is flying which routes. And I believe you might be right that sUA doesn't have any 764s.

23. Infinite1K
    Original Member

Infinite1K Silver Member

Status Points:
    Yes it is sCO metal and crew.