NYT Says New York Should Close LaGuardia

Discussion in 'Blogstand' started by BoardingArea, May 8, 2015.  |  Print Topic

1. BoardingArea

BoardingArea News Feed

Status Points:
    As a resident of the other, considerably warmer coast, I don’t have much of an opinion of LaGuardia. I do my best to avoid it at all costs as the food options have been abysmal there for years (decades, even?). The New York Times, on the other hand, seems to think LaGuardia should die immediately. That’s the message of an op-ed published today by transportation planner and civil engineer George Haikalis, who used to be a member of what is now the NY Metropolitan Transportation Council. Haikalis argues that LaGuardia is basically hamstrung based on its location and the multi-billion dollar projects that New York is considering to improve the 75+-year-old airport would be better spent upgrading transit and improving Kennedy and Newark (JFK and EWR), two airports that can handle their weight and are already seeing upgrades. As Haikalis says: By avoiding the costly replacement of outmoded terminals at La Guardia and by creating a new express rail link and upgrading terminals at Kennedy, the increased economic activity could more than make up for the lost jobs (not to mention the jobs that would be created by redeveloping the La Guardia site). Sounds like a good plan, especially considering that LaGuardia looks like it’s still living in the Koch administration. Read the full op-ed at the New York Times over here. Photo: Some rights reserved by tlillis4 The post NYT Says New York Should Close LaGuardia appeared first on Fly&Dine.

Continue reading...