NYE in Taipei Hotel Help

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Travel' started by edekba, Oct 4, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. edekba

edekba Gold Member

Status Points:
    So I've been looking and looking for a place to stay in TPE for NYE. We Arrive on the 31st and depart for BKK on the 3rd, so I need 3 nights.

Being that its NYE ... price are exorbitant. Spending that much money for 3 nights wants the most bang for the buck. As a result I'm looking at staying at hotel chains that I can at least earn some credit for. However it seems the only chains that has a Hotel in the city is Hyatt (Haunted supposedly) and 3 SPGs. There is a HI but that's sort of in the outskirts.

Does anyone have any opinions of where I should stay ... and maybe possible a good tip to get prices down a bit. I've already created alertspy for the SPG places ... but I doubt anything will open up since it is NYE.

Thanks

2. NYBanker
    Original Member

NYBanker Gold Member

Status Points:
    I've been to Taipei three times this year, and stayed at different properties each time.

I'd comfortably recommend the W Taipei and the Sherwood. I would avoid the Grand Hyatt - not because of the alleged haunting (though most locals/Chinese that I interacted with are believers), but because of the aged rooms.

Here are my reviews of the W and the Grand Hyatt.
    http://upgrd.com/sitinfirst/w-taipei-hotel-rtw-part-10.html
    http://upgrd.com/sitinfirst/grand-hyatt-taipei.html

I haven't written up the Sherwood yet, but I will soon. The Sherwood had a mid-90s Ritz-feel in the lobby and lower-tier Four Seasons feeling in the rooms. It was very nice, particularly when the price point was considered.

You might book a paid room, just so you have a booking somewhere...even if you plan to cancel...just in case!

edekba likes this.
  3. edekba

edekba Gold Member

Status Points:
    Sherwood not Sheraton right? Thanks for the links; I'll be reading them now.