NYC traffic- 3-Way Street -watch your step!

Discussion in 'New York Area' started by Gargoyle, Jun 12, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. Gargoyle
    Original Member

Gargoyle Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    A New Yorker, RonConCocaCola, created this video as part of a campaign to point out that NYC traffic/pedestrian/bike interactions have grown out of hand.

By focusing on one intersection he wanted to show "our interconnection and shared role in improving the safety and usability of our streets."

2. secretsea18
    Original Member

secretsea18 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Excellent video demonstrating not only the pitfalls of trying to drive in Manhattan, but also the issues of pedestrians and the evil bicyclists. :eek:

This is an entirely accurate shot of what happens at nearly every intersection every day... It looks like this is Park Avenue (the only two way Avenue), and could be any street that crosses it.

Watching carefully you will see that the bikes travel anywhere they damn well please... even going the wrong way and on the sidewalk... Car drivers (and pedestrians, too) have to constantly be watching for these annoying gnats, as the car driver is the one that will be blamed in any accident, even if the bike crosses against a red light going the wrong way on the road....:mad:

Grrrr..... can you tell I hate people on those bikes????

And the city has decided to respond to the issues with bikes by making... designated bike lanes (which have taken away one car lane on streets and avenues) that are NEVER used by those on bikes.... :rolleyes:

savydog, Chimpy, bobsgt and 2 others like this.
  3. Kaanapali
    Original Member

Kaanapali Gold Member

Status Points:
    Hard to actually ticket someone on a bike.,..Unless NYPD starts to use officers on bikes (sounds like a really bad B movie title!)..
    Agree the bike lane is a joke; although I do see pedestrians starting to use the bike lanes during rush hours on the sidewalks .....

savydog, Chimpy, bobsgt and 1 other person like this.
  4. NYBanker
    Original Member

NYBanker Gold Member

Status Points:
    For years, my office was on a low floor at 6th and 54th. I saw a number of bicyclists get banged up pretty bad. At least one appeared dead following an accident. (We also had two jumpers across the street, one from the Warwick hotel and one from the coop above the Ernest Klein market. Both had similar endings.)

Despite the chaos shown in this video, I'd put forward that this is an outlier - and the situation is not as bad on one-way avenues as it is on these two-way thoroughfares.

Driving in New York is still, in general, easier than Paris or Rome - cities dominated by multiple-lane roundabouts and a million scooters which are both faster and less maneuverable than bikes.

5. Gargoyle
    Original Member

Gargoyle Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    Secretsea18 pegged it- this was 28th Street and Park Avenue.
    Here's the website of the guy who made the video; he explains some of his intentions and motivations.

savydog, Chimpy, bobsgt and 1 other person like this.
  6. bobsgt
    Original Member

bobsgt Gold Member

Status Points:
    What a brilliant piece of cinamatography! Thank you for sharing it :)

7. canucklehead
    Original Member

canucklehead Gold Member

Status Points:
    The pedestrian-motorist problem is bad enough, but the addition of cyclists running the lights without looking and going in the wrong direction and then terrorizing pedestrians on the sidewalks in my mind is pure idiocy!

As a pedestrian, I have probably had an equal number of cars and bicycles try to run me over while crossing the street (legally). As a motorist, I have had my fair share of pedestrians dart in front of me when I have right of way.

As the person who made the video says

REDESIGNED STREETS CALL FOR NEW BEHAVIOR
    BUT CHANGE IS HARD AFTER DECADES OF BAD BEHAVIOR

8. SC Flier
    Original Member

SC Flier Gold Member

Status Points:
    And here in the upper-left we see two pedestrians risk a 3-way bypass...
    [​IMG]

9. Tenmoc
    Original Member

Tenmoc Gold Member

Status Points:
    Nice video.

Couple of things.

We should be adding bike lanes to all streets. Sorry drivers, but the roads are not only for you. That said, it is currently against the law to ride a bike against traffic, avoid traffic control devices, to ride a bike on the sidewalk and even to ride a bike in traffic lanes when a bike lane is available.

I personally hate most bike riders in the city. The majority of them, regardless of what streetsblog wants to claim, violate the law regularly.

Also, i'm willing to admit that my point of view on traffic/pedestrian interactions changes depending upon if I am in a car or walking. But this video is not unique other than someone actually captured it.

What this city needs is to have more traffic lanes removed. Time to start cracking down on drivers. Get more cars out of the way and we can start tasing bikers as they run a-muck.

canucklehead likes this.
  10. secretsea18
    Original Member

secretsea18 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Sorry Ten, there is no point to putting in more bike lanes when almost no bikes are in them... just a waste of valuable street space. Since there is nobody giving out tickets to the bike riders, they do whatever they want; even though it is against the law, as you said. Most of the folks on bikes here do not slow down or even look when they cross streets against the light. :mad:

If you lived in the city, they you would not want fewer car lanes... we need taxis here, and we need lots of them... especially when it rains or you have to transport a bunch of heavy stuff, like groceries or air conditioners, for example.

In addition to putting in these useless bike lanes, the city has 'brilliantly' decided to put in some "bus use only" lanes... :rolleyes: They would be great if the buses stayed in the lane driving the route. But ... noooooo.... the bus then pulls out of the 'bus only' lane taking up to 3 lanes doing so... blocking the traffic in the other 2 lanes as well. So the city has put in these special bus lanes on many avenues, but the buses they are for do not drive in them, and cars are not allowed in them, and the bikes... well ... the bikes go where ever they please.

11. Tenmoc
    Original Member

Tenmoc Gold Member

Status Points:
    Bikes are getting ticketed. Even in senseless cases where they pull out of the bike lane to avoid a MFing cop who parks in the bike lane. The fine is $50 currently.

And as for living in the city or not is not relevant. Enough time is spent in the city to know that the city has too many car lanes. You need taxis. That's fine. They should have dedicated lane next to the bus lanes. Its all the people who drive their personal cars around the city because they're rich enough to do it and wouldn't be caught dead on the bus or train. You're very right the real estate is too valuable to waste lane space. A bike lane helps mobility more than yet another lane of traffic. All another lane of traffic causes, is more traffic.

And don't get me started on the tolls on the East River crossings or congestion pricing. Both ideas that only idiots (the pols) more worried about getting reelected than public good are against.

12. secretsea18
    Original Member

secretsea18 Gold Member

Status Points:
    After living here for 6 years, I have never seen a bike get a ticket. I really do not think that there are that many bikes that get ticketed compared to the huge number of infractions they ought to be caught for.

Since the buses do not use the bus lane, and are constantly in the 'car' lanes, how would keep taxis in a designated lane.. they pull over at any place and stop in lane to let in/out people.

All another lane of traffic does is allow the traffic to move along. it does not cause more traffic.

The city does not have too many car lanes, it has too many cars, as you rightly stated.

How do you rectify that? I do have a car. I find it to be something that I pay dearly to garage because I want/need to have it. Perhaps there ought to be no street parking?! And make all the people cross the street at the same time, all directions. Then cars turning right and left would actually make it through the intersection.... there are more traffic cops driving around and blocking traffic than doing anything helpful to get it going well.

Tenmoc likes this.
  13. Tenmoc
    Original Member

Tenmoc Gold Member

Status Points:
    Some really good points here. Yes, most bikes are not ticketed and I actually supported Assembly Member Demdecker in his desire to require all bikes to be licensed. That would allow video enforcement. But NYPD is cracking down on bike infractions. Sometimes going WAY overboard. See this link.

Bus lanes or my idea of bus and taxi lanes should be two lanes total. Let them in and out of that lane to the other.

I completely disagree that more car lanes will allow traffic to move along. It encourages more driving and actually increases traffic.

I am for keeping "foreign" cars out or taxing them (tolling) to come into the city. The B&T crowd if you will.

The parking costs in lots sadly has little to do with traffic. Its more a factor of the environment of the city.

Less on street parking would be good. Pricing the on street parking more accurately would also help. Some neighborhoods are already doing this. Park Slope, the upper east side. And a few others, where they're increasing the cost of meters when traffic and spots fill up.

Many of my recent trips into the city require me down on Wall. Most times this leads me to drive because it is easier and cheaper. This is another problem with the system. It should not be cheaper and easier for me to bring my car into the city. The Harlem River bridges are free. The FDR is free. Parking after 4pm on Wall St even in an IKON lot is cheaper than a round trip just to GCT from home. When the costs are the same, I take the car. Everyone else does too. And this leads to the problem.

As for street crossing at the same time I really don't like that from both a pedestrian (my walk to work has intersections like this) and driving point of view. The wait is longer for all people when you close traffic completely in an intersection for 30-60 seconds to allow peds to cross at the same time. The mid block crossing they tried in the city on 3rd I think (somewhere on my walk from GCT North to the V train's old station just before heading into Queens) look like they'd work, but I only have practice from foot with those.

And then there are the cops. We agree here as well. I see it as typical of unions. They protect those who shouldn't be under the name of protecting all.

14. Analise
    Original Member

Analise Silver Member

Status Points:
    It's not a "3 way street". We are seeing cyclists who see the law does not apply to them. This isn't about the "car culture". It's about cyclists who endanger pedestrians of all ages. I was hit by a bike rider on Mother's Day in 2000—total hit and run. I've seen several run into older people as they were walking on the sidewalk and I've also seen CHILDREN riding on the sidewalk hit people with their parents nearby yelling at the people for not moving away so their precious Merritt or Jordan could ride without falling off their bikes.

Tenmoc likes this.
  15. iolaire
    Original Member

iolaire Gold Member

Status Points:
    (I’m completely pro biking.) The issue here is there needs to be enforcement of existing laws. Just as the police can and will ticket for jay walking in some areas they should be doing the same for bikes which disobey traffic laws.

In that video I see numerous people jay walking and creating safety situations, cars not yielding, pedestrians walking against/during/after the lights, yet everyone focuses on the bikes (which are more outrageous in this video).

16. Tenmoc
    Original Member

Tenmoc Gold Member

Status Points:
    It is because everyone on this list can say that more than half the bikes they see on a daily basis are breaking basic traffic laws.

I agree with you. All laws should be enforced, and I even gave an example of the NYPD crackdown on bikes going way too far.

I am pro bike lane, but those lanes need to be enforced to keep donut shop cops out of them. Buses out of them. Taxis out of them.

Its a bad situation.

But we all should remember. A bike lane has capacity for 5 times more traffic than a lane for cars.