NYC to Paris - MR points

Discussion in 'Newbies' started by drjla, Aug 4, 2015.  |  Print Topic

1. drjla

drjla New Member

Status Points:
    I have a large number of MR points - can anyone suggest best way to use them to go from NYC on 8/19 to Paris and return 8/28 to NYC? By my calculations what the points sell for is more than, or equal to, the standard economy fares. Any insight would be appreciated. Thank you.

satman40 likes this.
  2. chrislacey
    Original Member

chrislacey Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    Hi @drjla and welcome to MilePoint! Are you looking to travel in economy or a premium cabin? Also, do you have elite status on any airline?

satman40 and Newscience like this.
  3. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    There are saver level coach and biz seats on United metal from EWR to CDG on the 19th (1 coach, at least 2 biz). You should be able to redeem those via Aeroplan or KrisFlyer. I'd open an account with them, call to confirm they see the same inventory and then transfer the points over to complete the booking.

On the return flight there are at least 2 economy seats at saver levels on UA's CDG-EWR flights. Again, redeeming via Aeroplan or Krisflyer is probably best. If you redeem as a round trip ANA might be a decent option, too, but I don't know how their new award charts fare in this case.

Pizzaman, satman40 and Newscience like this.
  4. satman40

satman40 Gold Member

Status Points:
    AA has some super saver openings, Avois might work...I do know AA goes direct JFK on the return, from CDG.

Always a learning experience.

5. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Status Points:
    BA is not showing the AA non-stop flight on the 19th. Also, BA will charge hundreds of dollars in fuel surcharges which Aeroplan should not charge for the UA flights. The return trip could book via Avios on the AA nonstop flights but, again, higher cash component to save a few miles.

satman40 likes this.
  6. satman40

satman40 Gold Member

Status Points:
    AA stops in BOS on the way over, the return is direct.

I did not know the amount of the fuel sur charge.

This is all a learning experience for me,and even then things change.

7. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Which costs more points than the non-stop thanks to the way Avios awards price.

satman40 likes this.
  8. satman40

satman40 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I have used Avois one time PEK/LHR, many years ago it was a give away ticket, Graduating Parent, at Cambridge, wife's sister's boy.

Never used them myself, International,

They are great Domestic especially from the Mid-west.

9. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Probably different rules if it was many years ago.

10. satman40

satman40 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Everything is different in today,

When I started flying the planes drug their tails, and we flew them with a stick, now they have nose wheels...and we have a yoke to push or pull.

11. Jammin

Jammin New Member

Status Points:
    Hello, thank you in advance for your help- I have just 1 card I opened to build miles to travel internationally, the Chase Sapphire Preferred card. I have spent the minimum spend and now need to find a new card in a hurry! I am not wanting to spend more on the Sapphire card beyond the minimum, but I am going to be in a position to spend a lot of money in the next few weeks and I want to use other cards' intro bonus offers to take advantage of my spending and build miles I can turn into airplane tickets and/or hotel rooms abroad. The problem is I am very new and don't know what I am doing. If I apply for American Airlines' card or United Airlines' card, will I be able to pool together the miles from those? What about combining those with the miles from the Sapphire card?

12. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    Welcome! I am sure someone will help you in your own thread over here: https://milepoint.com/forums/threads/a-first-timers-quest-to-get-it-right.131785/

Wandering Aramean likes this.