33.3%
  1. jar070

jar070 Active Member

Status Points:
  2. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    Generally speaking I'm not a fan. In addition to the smaller, lower quantity portions I've often found the service to be off during those weeks, even if I'm ordering from the real menu.

That said, last night I did dinner at North Square and the food and service were both pretty darn good.

3. dhammer53
    Original Member

dhammer53 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Couldn't be further from the truth at One If By Land on Barrow St in the Village. Beautiful place. Service to the 9's. The food was what you'd expect at a top restaurant in NYC. Beautiful presentation. Healthy sized portion.

Geez. Where can you eat for $35 in NYC. This time around, we won. Oh, corkage is $25. [​IMG]

SC Flier and canucklehead like this.
  4. Blumie
    Original Member

Blumie Silver Member

Status Points:
    I'm totally with you. While, as dhammer reported, it's absolutely possible to have a great Restaurant Week experience, it's a crapshoot.

oklAAhoma and gemac like this.
  5. IMGone
    Original Member

IMGone Silver Member

Status Points:
    I think NY has a rougher time with Restaurant Week for some reason than a place like DC ... I've only had one bad experience with the Restaurant Week menu/service in DC (and have tried quite a variety over the years) and as a result will not visit that Restaurant again EVER. Their loss and a poor business move IMO.

In NY, I've heard from multiple sources that it isn't always impressive and service can be questionable, etc. I had a few reservations and was really looking forward to it, but unfortunately had to cancel my trip this week so missed out.

For me, Restaurant Week is an opportunity to experience a high end restaurant for a reasonable price to determine if you'll be back at regular times. There is an indian place in NY - Ada - that I first visited during restaurant week and went back to multiple times with groups of people because the food and service were superb on that first visit. I never would'e stepped foot in this place otherwise. It was a business opportunity that they capitalized on, and hopefully benefited from (if the final checks were any indicator, they did fine ;) )

6. wanderlust
    Original Member

wanderlust Silver Member

Status Points:
    I agree with everyone saying it can be hit or miss. Seems like the Restaurant Week menu is an opportunity to unload some cheaper chicken or pasta entrees for restaurants, and waiters and waitresses sometimes roll their eyes when you request a RW meal. The best RW I've had was at Lure Fishbar, surprisingly.

7. dkelly1110
    Original Member

dkelly1110 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Good values for RW that I have liked: Bond Street, Mercer Kitchen, Atlantic Grill

Not so much: One if...

8. dhammer53
    Original Member

dhammer53 Gold Member

Status Points:
    RW has been extended.

SC Flier likes this.
  9. IMGone
    Original Member

IMGone Silver Member

Status Points:
    Dang - missed that entirely, could've made use of that!

10. dhammer53
    Original Member

dhammer53 Gold Member

Status Points:
    SC Flier likes this.
  11. IMGone
    Original Member

IMGone Silver Member

Status Points:
  12. jar070

jar070 Active Member

Status Points:
    Went to Bobby Van's Grill (45th St by Times Square last night) - had to request the Restaurant Week menu, which is annoying. Otherwise, a fantastic meal. Granted, it's not such an out-there-fancy place, but it made a nice steakhouse night a better value.
    I am really happy with the combination of more menus being posted on the NYC tourism website (so I can avoid the cheaper chicken, wanderlust!), and opentable's ability to show availability across the entire list.

13. dhammer53
    Original Member

dhammer53 Gold Member

Status Points:
    SC Flier likes this.
  14. jneugeba
    Original Member

jneugeba Gold Member

Status Points:
    I've always had fun on it when I've been in the city during the time (and not on expense account.) I agree though, the service can really suck, but I also think a restaurant's true character comes out.

15. SC Flier
    Original Member

SC Flier Gold Member

Status Points:
    Again and extended...

NYC restaurant week extended through Sept. 5, 2011!! http://ow.ly/5MU7t

Get $5 back every time you check in on foursquare and use any synced American Express® Card to dine out at participating restaurants during the NYC Restaurant Week Extension, July 25–September 5.**​

dhammer53 and canucklehead like this.
  16. canucklehead
    Original Member

canucklehead Gold Member

Status Points:
    I agree with dhammer re: One if by land. Also had good offerings/service at Spice Market and Kittichai.

SC Flier likes this.