NYC Marathon

Discussion in 'New York Area' started by jpruzins, Apr 26, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. jpruzins
    Original Member

jpruzins Silver Member

Status Points:
    I'm running the NYC marathon this fall. I live locally in NJ.
    I'd like to use points for a hotel stay the night before the race since start time is very early.

A friend of mine said there is a shuttle from the library to Staten Island for the start. The race finishes in central park. I have 79K hilton points and $1k in marriott gift cards and planning to get some more Hilton points from daily getaways. I'm looking for a midtown hotel.

Does anyone have any recommendations or suggestions?

NYRR is using Anthony travel for discounted rates, but I like free.
    http://www.anthonytravel.com/nyrr/ing-nyc-marathon/?ShowAll=No#

2. KENNECTED
    Original Member

KENNECTED Silver Member

Status Points:
    I'm going to say in Midtown Manhattan both programs have quite a few properties east or west of Rockefeller Center. And scattered properties north or South of that area..

I'm not a Marriott person but, I think you can use points at Ritz-Carltons. There is a Ritz right on Central Park South which would be nice to come back to after the race. If not the Times Square properties might do well or if you want to be in a less touristy/quieter area, check the properties in Midtown East. The Waldorf is over.

I'm going to suggest that you check the Hilton and Marriott forums for more details on NYC properties.

Good luck and I might see you running the race as I live right on the race route!

3. wiredboy
    Original Member

wiredboy Silver Member

Status Points:
    And I might see you the night before. I live a block from Paragon Sporting Goods, where they have a carb-loading meal every year!

4. KENNECTED
    Original Member

KENNECTED Silver Member

Status Points:
    I dont run the marathon. I cheer on runners and party as I live at the best location along the course - Mile 22 - all the runners are uplifted as the head toward the finish line.

[​IMG]
    NYC Marathon Mile Marker 22 by Kennected1, on Flickr

rwoman, sobore and wiredboy like this.
  5. jpruzins
    Original Member

jpruzins Silver Member

Status Points:
    As a runner, your enthusiasm is much appreciated at mile 22!! That's when you really start to feel the pain of distance and depend on adrenaline and the crowd to bring you to the finish! Thank you!!

I'm going to book a room tomorrow - probably Marriott since my Daily Detaways GC came yesterday and I'm on a roll for Marriott stays this year.

6. Analise
    Original Member

Analise Silver Member

Status Points:
    Just know that the shuttle from the NYPL leaves VERY early. Make sure that it's worth it to you to burn those miles. I'm a marathon "cheerer" too. 26.2 miles....you have my respect!