NYC Half Marathon Sponsorship - VIP Tent?

Discussion in 'United Airlines | MileagePlus' started by Black Cloud, Feb 14, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. Black Cloud
    Original Member

Black Cloud Gold Member

Status Points:
    I was going to ask this over on UAs Facebook page, only to find that the level of crazy over there makes TOBB look like a hotbed of sanity. So, I'm hoping this is the best bet to get a response from a UA social media stalker.

CO, and now UA, has a long tradition of being a title sponsor of the NYC Marathon in November. I noticed on the NYRR site that UA is also a title sponsor of the NYC Half Marathon. I'm assuming that the sponorship levels are similar between the two events and UA will be able to provide pre-race facilities as well as passes to the finish line grandstand.

Any plans on providing access to guests? Either via FF mile auction, scavenger hunt, or just someone asking really nicely on an IBB?

Thanks in advance, and thanks for your support of NYRR events.

2. canucklehead
    Original Member

canucklehead Gold Member

Status Points:
    Perhaps the best people to ask would be Shannon or Scott (UA Insider). Hopefully they could connect you with the local/inside contacts.

good luck!

3. Black Cloud
    Original Member

Black Cloud Gold Member

Status Points:
    I met UAs third-party social media person at the marathon last year (and of course didn't think to grab a card). I know they monitor these boards and I figured there might be other folks who are interested in getting the answer too, hence the public question.

But yes, I plan on PMing UA Insider in a few weeks if no answer is provided on here.

4. katstarr

katstarr Gold Member

Status Points:
    For a few years, Continental had a spcial VIP tent at the NYC Marathon. For 20,000 or 25,000 miles, people could stay in this heated tent before the race started - could have breakfast and access to special toilets without having to wait on long lines. They did not have it this past year.

(frankly, I never signed up for this amenity. part of the glory of the marathon [to me] is being part of the down and dirty masses.....)

I would suggest that you contact the New York Road Runners Club - if you have any questions on who to contact, or if you have any questions about the NYC half (I ran it 3 times), feel free to contact me.

YULtide likes this.
  5. Black Cloud
    Original Member

Black Cloud Gold Member

Status Points:
    Au contraire mon frere. Instead of doing the auction last year they did a (annoying) scavenger hunt at the packet pick-up on Friday at noon.

Wondering what their plans are for the half (if any). While I certainly don't need the VIP access, a warm tent and access to port-o-johns is always welcome.

Are you fixin' to run it this year?