NYC first trip (7 year old)

Discussion in 'New York Area' started by baglady, Feb 4, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. baglady
    Original Member

baglady Silver Member

Status Points:
    Baglady Jr. (age 7) decided she wants to hit NYC for Spring Break. She is a bit obsessed with the Statue of Liberty, but anyway . . .

What are the must sees? We are probably looking at four or five full days. This is what she's requested so far:

Statue of Liberty/Ellis Island
    Top of the Empire State Building
    FAO Schwarz
    Museum of Natural History
    Central Park
    Lion King on Broadway

Thanks, in advance, for suggestions.

ShopAround and Gargoyle like this.
  2. pokerhammy
    Original Member

pokerhammy Silver Member

Status Points:
    Make sure you reserve the Statue Cruises tickets in advance, if you want crown access.
    The Met Museum is a must.
    Top of the Rock so you can view the ESB.
    Chinatown, crossing the Brooklyn bridge are fun.

3. jar070

jar070 Active Member

Status Points:
    American Girl Place might also be fun.
    And Serendipity 3 for a frozen hot chocolate.

Bob Smolinsky likes this.
  4. Westsox
    Original Member

Westsox Gold Member

Status Points:
    My kids enjoyed a visit to see Grand Central Terminal. Living in a small city with no mass transit, this was a neat experience for them.

5. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    As an adult I MUCH prefer Ellis Island to the Statue of Liberty. I think the Statue of Liberty is overrated as an experience and all the queuing and such just to get out to it is a pain. That said, I know there's no way you can try to fend off the desires of the BLjr so go for it. If she's up for the many, many stairs to the top of the crown that is probably a good idea though, as noted above, you need to reserve those in advance.
    [​IMG]

Depending on what else she's interested in I'd say that a trip to the American Museum of Natural History could easily eat up a full day and might be more engaging than the Met, though both are certainly awesome museums.

Top of the Rock is generally easier and considered to have better views than top of the ESB, though it may not have the cache that a 7 year old would need to share with her friends when she gets back to school and has to explain why the top of the ESB isn't so good.

If you walk the Brooklyn Bridge from Manhattan to Brooklyn you can finish the hike with awesome views back into Manhattan from the parks at the base and there is a Jacques Torres shop over there (the original, I believe) that has awesome hot cocoa and snacks. Plus there are subway stations nearby to get you back into Manhattan.

And, of course, a visit to a pub with all your Box friends. :D

6. dhammer53
    Original Member

dhammer53 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Take a free ride on the Staten Island ferry. It gets you up close to Lady Liberty without all the to do.
    Head down to Soho. At her age, she'll love all the buzz of the neighborhood.

7. Art234
    Original Member

Art234 Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    I agree that the Museum of Natural History/Hayden Planetarium would be excellent for a 7 year old. In addition to the other boats mentioned, you should also consider the Circle Line - which has a short and long trip around Manhattan Island...there's lots to see, and they also get you close to the Statue of Liberty. The Metropolitan Museum does have some special events and programs from time to time-some aimed at children if I am not mistaken.

Depending on her interests as well, there are a few shows such as Lion King on Broadway which she might like too...not sure if Wicked is appropriate at that age....my daughter is a bit older (21--a whole other set of issues)....

Good luck - and I hope the weather is good for your visit...there are plenty of us "natives" to help further....

8. Blumie
    Original Member

Blumie Silver Member

Status Points:
    Both of these recommendations are good ones for a 7-year-old. At American Girl Place, you can make reservations for their brunch (to which the girls are expected to bring their American Girl doll). It's expensive and the food is awful, but the girls love it!

Serendipity 3 is a good place for lunch or dinner, not just the famed frozen hot chocolate. Many don't realize that they accept a limited number of reservations, which will allow you to avoid the ridiculous wait, so once you nail down your dates, give them a call. (P.S. I think their ice cream sundaes are way better than the frozen hot chocolate.)

oklAAhoma and gemac like this.
  9. Lufthansa Flyer
    Original Member

Lufthansa Flyer Gold Member

Status Points:
    The toys R us in times square is quite impressive too if you're going to be in the theater district.

South Street seaport is nice for kids too with the schooners that are docked there.

Central Park Zoo

MACY's at Herald Square for the shopper within the 2 of you

A YANKEE GAME if theres a bit of athlete in her and if Dad of BagLady Jr. is going.

Even a visit to Ground Zero may be something she may remember forever. One of those "I was there when they rebuilt the towers" moments she can reflect on 40 years from now when everyone else has forgotten what happened.

and definitely agree that the museum of natural history is an absolute must.

10. inukshuk
    Original Member

inukshuk Gold Member

Status Points:
    Use TKTS to see more than one Broadway show (there's several that would be appropriate for bljr) - you can get great tickets at significant discounts. And, since shows keep tickets for friends and family until day of you can get some fantastic seats!

11. Robin
    Original Member

Robin Silver Member

Status Points:
    Seeing NYC can involve lots of walking, which is one of the best ways to experience the city. Make sure you plan for breaks along the way.

12. PTravel
    Original Member

PTravel Silver Member

Status Points:
    How about a ride on the Staten Island ferry? It's free, it's great fun and you'll have spectacular views of the NYC skyline (at least lower Manhattan) and the Statue of Liberty.

Wandering Aramean likes this.
  13. cheepneezy
    Original Member

cheepneezy Gold Member

Status Points:
    Depending when your spring break is, Madagascar Live! is at Radio City(in April).

14. IMGone
    Original Member

IMGone Silver Member

Status Points:
    You have some good recommendations above, just walking around the different neighborhoods of the city can be a blast. What are her interests?

BTW, with Ellis Island/Statue of Liberty I recommend not only buying in advance, but paying for whatever priority privileges are available. The wait (esp if during a vacation period) can be absolutely miserable as you have to clear a TSA screening process prior to boarding the boat and it is just a PITA.

15. emajy
    Original Member

emajy Silver Member

Status Points:
  16. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    Whoa....bad idea. Not a fan at all.

I did manage to squeeze in a lunch with the OP and family and they had a great visit. :cool:

17. Gaucho
    Original Member

Gaucho Gold Member

Status Points:
    I think that a visit to the Intrepid Museum would be nice...

(edited to add): Ive just realized this is a young lady.... so maybe this will not be that interesting - although my little 2 year old princess is obsessed with aircraft.... :D

18. Wurm
    Original Member

Wurm Silver Member

Status Points:
    For future reference: If it is playing at the time of the visit, the Metropolitan Opera's family-friendly Magic Flute is perfect to that age group (90-minute condensation, in English). Julie Taymor's puppets and visuals at their best (not her Spiderman worst), and Mozart is good for kids of all ages ;)

Wandering Aramean likes this.
  19. ducster
    Original Member

ducster Gold Member

Status Points:
    American Girl Place, as noted above, might be a good one. When we visited NY a few weeks ago, my wife took our 7-year-old there with another friend and her 6-year-old for afternoon tea, and they loved it. If your daughter doesn't have an American Girl doll, they will provide one!

Another fun stop was Economy Candy on the Lower East Side, which is also great for adults as they have all the candies we grew up on as well as today's stuff.

The kids also loved S'Mac on 12th and 1st- Mac-n-Cheese themed casual restaurant.