NYC dining options

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Dining' started by MSYgirl, Dec 9, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. MSYgirl

MSYgirl Gold Member

Status Points:
    I just booked my annual work trip to NYC but was able to add two extra days (yay!). A friend is coming to meet me on Saturday afternoon and I'm looking for some suggestions for a Saturday night meal + entertainment/fun. Any suggestions?

I've been to NYC before so know the area, but I haven't been able to fully take advantage of it. I'll check out the Broadway offerings and restaurant reviews, all the while secretly wishing that @Sweet Willie was here with me.

Restaurants
    Katz's Delicatessen (deli)
    Barney Greengrass (deli)
    Nougatine (lunch tasting menu)
    Yopparai (robitayaki)
    Cuba (Cuban)
    MSG (Korean)
    The Breslin/John Dory
    Eataly market
    Via Emilia (Italian)
    Boqueria (tapas)
    Chez Napoleon (French)
    Hell's Chicken
    Crema (Mexican)
    Onya (Japanese)
    Sakagura (Japanese)
    Seo Japanese
    Ippudo (ramen)
    Zuckers (bagels)
    Kaskaval on 56th & 9th or Balkanika on 47th & 9th for Balkan/Mediterranean food
    Cellar58 on the Lower East Side. Good wine selection and the staff has been great to me and my friends.
    Strand Bistro (Midtown) - Good place with intimate atmosphere. I really like the millcrepe desert here.
    Japadog (St Marks) - Hot Dogs with a Japanese twist to it; grab one to go.
    La Bateau Ivre (Midtown East) - a charming french wine bar.
    Maialino (Italian, quinto quarto)

Burger Wars! :mad:
    Shake Shack
    Island Burger

Last edited: Jan 7, 2014
    anileze, Newscience and Sweet Willie like this.
  2. Sweet Willie
    Original Member

Sweet Willie Gold Member

Status Points:
    Last edited: Dec 9, 2013
  3. LarryInNYC

LarryInNYC Gold Member

Status Points:
    Can you give us a tiny hint of what you like? Are you looking for a hole-in-the-wall Chinese restaurant in Flushing with dishes so unusual they have a small box on the last page of items labeled "Chinese Food"? Or a full-on name-chef tasting menu? Drinks -- wine, cocktails, beer? Price range?

4. MSYgirl

MSYgirl Gold Member

Status Points:
    I'm looking for relaxed and fun/interesting, and almost any cuisine would work. Nothing too out there, but no need for famous chefs either.
    I'll be bouncing between the Upper East Side and Madison Square Garden most of the trip.

Tenmoc, anileze and Newscience like this.
  5. Newscience

Newscience Gold Member

Status Points:
    I'm hoping that you get more tips from the New York natives shortly! There are no shortage of superb dining options in NYC!
    I'll just mention a lunch favorite, that we enjoy before heading to a matinee performance on Broadway: Jean George's Nougatine Restaurant:
    http://www.jean-georges.com/restaurants/united-states/new-york/nougatine/
    Located at Trump Hotel Central Park, their fixed-price lunch menu is superb! It's a great and relatively inexpensive way to experience the top shelf of New York City dining! And, if the tables are full, you can eat lunch at the bar - with the rest of the patrons! ;)

anileze and MSYgirl like this.
  6. MSYgirl

MSYgirl Gold Member

Status Points:
    I would love to go, but I don't think I'll make it in time on Saturday before lunch service ends (I have an afternoon arrival flight). My friend leaves Sunday before their evening menu, and I'll be too busy during the week with work to even dream about getting there (my days start around 7am and end around midnight-2am). I'll definitely bookmark this for future trips, thanks.

anileze and Newscience like this.
  7. viguera
    Original Member

viguera Gold Member

Status Points:
    How do you feel about robitayaki / izakaya? There are a couple of really awesome places in the city that you can go to... Yopparai on Rivington Street might be one of the best by far.

Or you can do some serious Cuban food... Cuba on Thompson is nice, with a guy rolling cigars in the front and live music on most nights. Although parking is going to be a chore -- or expensive as hell, but it's NYC so... :)

anileze and Sweet Willie like this.
  8. LarryInNYC

LarryInNYC Gold Member

Status Points:
    MSG is very close to Koreatown, the block of 32nd Street between 6th and 5th avenues, which is lined with Korean restaurants of various stripes. I often eat at a Korean food court towards the 5th Avenue end (north side of the street) with numerous choices of Korean and Japanese food. Also, Mandoo Dumplings across the street is recommended. There are probably close to 100 places to choose from on this block.

A short-ish walk down Broadway from MSG will bring you to the Ace Hotel with two destination-ish restaurants The Breslin and John Dory, both supervised by English chef April Bloomenfield. A little further and you'll come to the Nomad hotel with a restaurant of the same name under the auspices of the Daniel Humm and Will Guidara who also operate Eleven Madison Park, which is possibly the best restaurant in New York. Eleven Madison Park is a little further down Broadway at Madison Park but you'll need reservations and several hundred dollars a person for a meal here (which makes the very-not-cheap entrees at Nomad look a little less fearsome).

Also at Madison Park is the original Shake Shack (outdoor eating) and Eataly, the high-end Italian food and drink indoor mall which is worth a visit (there are several restaurants on the ground floor and another on the roof).

Crossing 23rd Street, you can turn left at 21st for Via Emilia, an excellent northern Italian restaurant or right on 19th for the Boqueria tapas restaurant.

Let me know if you want to continue further downtown!

Also, from MSG, you can walk west to 9th Avenue. Food options are a little sparse in the 30s, but if you walk north, once you cross 42nd Street, 9th Avenue becomes a dining heaven, lined with endless restaurants cheek-to-jowl up to 57th Street. I aim on trying Larb Ubol (Isan Thai) at 37th, and can recommend El Centro (Mexican) at 54th.

Let me know if you might venture into other neighborhoods as well.

9. MSYgirl

MSYgirl Gold Member

Status Points:
    Thanks! I'm looking forward to Italian and Japanese the most I think, but I'm open to any options. I will have a look at the map and my plans and bring these suggestions with me.

10. viguera
    Original Member

viguera Gold Member

Status Points:
    I'd definitely go for the Shake Shack as an option for casual lunch, even if it's on the run because of the weather.

Looking at the Shack Cam is a must though, otherwise you get there and the lines are incredible...

http://www.shakeshack.com/location/madison-square-park/#shack-cam

MSYgirl likes this.
  11. anileze

anileze Gold Member

Status Points:
    LarryinNYC has covered a lot of ground, and then there is the hole-in-the-wall great one signature dish places in the city. There are two clusters apart from what Larry wrote - One is Hell's Kitchen/Chelsea contininum, and then there is the Upper East Side/Midtown East fare.

In Hell's Kitchen which is essentially north of 42nd, and Chelsea which is south of 23rd. You can find Turkish, Italian, Greek, Thai, Japanese, Cuban, Tapas, Japas. et al.

Uncle Nick's on 9th Ave Hell's Kitchen, Hell's Chicken a Korean fried chicken with good wines on 10th Ave, 44-1/2, 44th & X, For french, the old time favorite Chez Napoleon, Real Pam Thai, TotoRamen.

Salinas, Co Ba, Tia Pol are all good Chelsea places. There is Bar Volce and for mexican there is Crema. However, if you do not mind the noise and the crowd; Chelsea market is a great place to eat and snack anytime of the day or night.

Newscience and MSYgirl like this.
  12. MSYgirl

MSYgirl Gold Member

Status Points:
    Great suggestions keep piling in. I will be in the Hell's Kitchen area during this trip as well as Park/Times Square/MSG/restaurant row, so it looks like I'll have plenty of options (which I can narrow down with this list). Shake cam - funny but will check it out!

EDIT: Love the Shake menu and giggled at the pet snacks. Check out the root beer brewing company, somewhat near my neck of the woods. :)

Last edited: Dec 10, 2013
    viguera likes this.
  13. viguera
    Original Member

viguera Gold Member

Status Points:
    Don't discount the usefulness of the Shack Cam... it's there for a reason. On a nice day it can take you well over an hour to get a burger. Whether they're that good is another story, but the lines are known to be quite ridiculous.

http://nummynims.files.wordpress.com/2009/04/p4190303.jpg

anileze and MSYgirl like this.
  14. anileze

anileze Gold Member

Status Points:
    I'll take Island Burger on 9th anyday over Shake Shack.

15. LarryInNYC

LarryInNYC Gold Member

Status Points:
    Hell's Kitchen is the 9th Avenue area that I mentioned in a previous post.

Newscience likes this.
  16. MSYgirl

MSYgirl Gold Member

Status Points:
    Yep. :)
    Ooh, burger war! :mad:

anileze and viguera like this.
  17. viguera
    Original Member

viguera Gold Member

Status Points:
    There's no question though... the Shack has some nice burgers, but a lot of it is reputation. And when you see a line that long, you automatically assume that the food has to be ridiculously good. The burgers are decent, but if you wouldn't make a 30 minute line for In-n-Out then you wouldn't make a 30 minute line for the Shack.

Me personally I have a Shake Shack nearby here in CT and I rarely go. I'd rather drive out of my way for some Smashburger.

I'd say try them both if you can though, it never hurts.:)

Espan, MSYgirl and anileze like this.
  18. anileze

anileze Gold Member

Status Points:
    Shake Shack is a schlep for me, Island Burger is on my way. The later has been around even before Danny Meyer opened the first one on Madison Park :) Danny Meyer is now an industrial operation with a shack in every corner and airports too :D

Espan, MSYgirl and viguera like this.
  19. viguera
    Original Member

viguera Gold Member

Status Points:
    Don't forget baseball stadiums too :)

Espan and anileze like this.
  20. MSYgirl

MSYgirl Gold Member

Status Points:
    You guys are funny. Now I'm going to have to write down both places and try both their burgers to settle this. :p

21. anileze

anileze Gold Member

Status Points:
    He opened one @Terminal 4 near the DL gates.

Espan and Singapore Flyer like this.
  22. anileze

anileze Gold Member

Status Points:
    For Danny Meyers, wait till he opens one in MSY, for the other..... 9th Ave.

Espan likes this.
  23. MSYgirl

MSYgirl Gold Member

Status Points:
    I'll be schlepping over to 9th Avenue before that happens. MSY people don't like to do anything in a hurry.

Espan likes this.
  24. Singapore Flyer

Singapore Flyer Silver Member

Status Points:
    We had one right before our flight to BCN/CDG.

25. Singapore Flyer

Singapore Flyer Silver Member

Status Points:
    For Japanese, 3 favorite spots that range from "cheap" to "not at all cheap" are Onya for freshly made udon on site, Sakagura for a really nice ambience/food/sake experience and across the street for sushi at Sushi Yasuda - though he moved back to Japan. These are all relatively close by to each other in the mid 40s close to Lex and 3rd respectively.

Espan, anileze and MSYgirl like this.