NYC "Comfy" Restaurants

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Dining' started by IMGone, Feb 5, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. IMGone
    Original Member

IMGone Silver Member

Status Points:
    I visit NY for work these days and am always looking for a comfortable place to grab a bite after work. I'm usually not interested in a full meal, just something on the lighter side, with an atmosphere that is welcoming.

My most recent find is in the financial district, a bar I recently found called Open Door GastroPub at 110 John Street (www.opendoornyc.com). Friendly with a wide (atypical for a Pub) variety of food on their menu. I'm slowly working my way through their tapas offerings at the moment.

Any suggestions of other places ? (for me, preferably near the downtown area - around union square and south but anywhere in the City is fine)

doc and JALPak like this.
  2. TrueBlueFlyer
    Original Member

TrueBlueFlyer Silver Member

Status Points:
    I have discovered this place thanks to a "expiring Groupon" donation from boxo (thank you boxo!!!)

If you like Tony Luke's in South Philly for their Cheese Steak, you will really like Shorty's in Hell's Kitchen, Manhattan on 9th ave a block from the Port Authority. Essentially it was once a franchise that didn't work out, and now sells essentially the same cheese steaks in NYC.

doc, snap, JALPak and 1 other person like this.
  3. Mangy
    Original Member

Mangy Gold Member

Status Points:
    I think that this place should be right up your alley:

http://cornerbistrony.com/

Great burgers and a good place to grab a beer to go with it.

doc, wiredboy and JALPak like this.
  4. wanderlust
    Original Member

wanderlust Silver Member

Status Points:
    I don't like the waits at Corner Bistro personally.

5. dhammer53
    Original Member

dhammer53 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Look for any Blarney Stone. There was a time they littered NY the way Starbucks does now. Old fashioned Irish bar with good food at a price.

McSorleys, down in Greenwich Village. They have a limited (very limited) menu, but the beer makes it worthwhile. This place is 100 years old +.

SC Flier likes this.
  6. mhnadel
    Original Member

mhnadel Silver Member

Status Points:
    Thre's a Chock Full of Nuts coffee shop on 23rd Street. These used to be all over the city and were a mainstay of my teenage years. I particularly recommend the Chock Classic sandwich - cream cheese on date nut bread for a bit of noshtalgia (i.e. nostalgia for the snacks of yesteryear). But they do various sandwiches and platters, too, at reasonable prices.

And some say their coffee is heavenly.

7. wiredboy
    Original Member

wiredboy Silver Member

Status Points:
    I like a place on Eighth Ave at 18th St, Gascogne. It's country French. It can seem a little snooty at first, but if you sit at the bar and chat up the bartender you'll soon be among friends. They have a special little bar menu with several small plates or you can order an appetizer from the regular menu.

8. Tenmoc
    Original Member

Tenmoc Gold Member

Status Points:
    There are a ton of places that would fit the bill in the east village.

Agozar is nice for drinks and light eats and is also an Idine.

Frank for Italian is a favorite.

A bit of a trip, but my favorite restaurant in the city is out in Astoria. Ornella. Its cheap by many standard, excellent and also an idine.

9. swisshera
    Original Member

swisshera Silver Member

Status Points:
    My friend recently brought me to this place
    http://www.shakeshack.com/

and it is quite good, seating is not very comfortable because the place is always jam packed, but the food is actually quite good. Burgers, fries and some milk shake!

I personally like Jack's Bistro by University place
    http://jackbistronyc.com/

and I love their brunch. Seating is comfortable.

IMGone likes this.
  10. sophiegirl
    Original Member

sophiegirl Silver Member

Status Points:
    Ok, this is more of "comfy food" than comfy ambiance......but I ate there last week and was blown away. it is really, really good...even if it is not a place one would want to hang about for hours.

http://www.smacnyc.com/what.html

Try the Alpine or a sampler....

Go.

11. SK2868
    Original Member

SK2868 Silver Member

Status Points:
    If you take the L-train to Bedford Ave. in BK (one stop from Manhattan), there is a nice uruguayan place called Tabaré, just a couple of blocks away from the station. Great food, wine and staff. It's also inexpensive. :)

12. ducster
    Original Member

ducster Gold Member

Status Points:
    S'mac is really great comfort food- how much better does it get than good ol' Mac-n-cheese with so much variety (buffalo chicken mac-n-cheese- yum!)?

Another place we go for comfort food is a Spanish/tapas place like Txikito (9th Av and 25th) or Bar Jamon (125 East 17th).

13. doc
    Original Member

doc Silver Member

Status Points:
    No bar, of course, but quick, good, somewhat 'healthy', & so darn cheap... try Burritoville..
    Several locations.. 9th Av in Midtown West & downtown, 23rd ST I believe..
    I've been going for 10-15 yrs now I think.. n' still alive! I like the place anyway ;)

14. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    There are differences of comfy and I'm somewhat of a foodie, but it sounds to me like you'd like a nice bar with interesting appetizers. Early in the week, the living room at the W on Union Square could work. Thee's a French Bistro on the opposite side of Union Square. Further down around Wall Street, Club Quarters has a good restaurant, but you should be able to get lighter things from the same kitchen in their bar.

Are you willing to do the student-oriented places around NYU?

15. IMGone
    Original Member

IMGone Silver Member

Status Points:
    Club quarters has good food? My client had a rate there but I didn't stay or visit. I thought the road was too dark and area too deserted before the W opened. By then, I was used to the Hilton/Embassy (and then migrated to the Andaz - what a step up!).

As far as what I was looking for (I'm done with the weekly NY for awhile), it wasn't necessarily a bar, just a place where you can go to hang out and be comfortable.

16. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    When I last stayed at the one near Wall Street, the restaurant in there was very popular. We felt fortunate to get a reservation and were pleased with the meal, although it wouldn't rival the very best in NYC. At that time, both the restaurant and bar were obviously extremely popular with young professionals working in the area.

17. IMGone
    Original Member

IMGone Silver Member

Status Points:
    How were the rooms? I'm curious, everything I saw about it seemed like it would be fine but it was geared towards a male clientele somehow

18. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    The rooms are small but have what business travellers need. They also have an interesting system of closets on each floor with extra items you might need, such as an iron and ironing board IIRC. There's also a self-service check in system where you insert the credit card guaranteeing the reservation into a kiosk.

19. ctporter
    Original Member

ctporter Silver Member

Status Points:
    A few of my favorite comfy places to eat in NYC (comfy meaning good food & relatively inexpensive)

Cucina de Pesche @ 87 East 4th Street
    Lucien @ 14 First Ave
    Jimmys 43 @ 43 East 7th

and if you want French Fries and don't mind standing in lines, definitely check out Pommes Frites @ 123 Second Ave

20. LIH Prem
    Original Member

LIH Prem Gold Member

Status Points:
  21. ctporter
    Original Member

ctporter Silver Member

Status Points:
    Did you know there is a web site for McSorleys? http://www.12darks.com./ It is by a group of regs that have been coming there for ages, no need to wait in line for this group :)

22. KENNECTED
    Original Member

KENNECTED Silver Member

Status Points:
    I remember whe Cucina de Pesche opened. Remember it's sister restaurant Frutti Di-Mare?

Cucina de Pesche is a decent middle of the road restaurant but the spaces is "tight" to say the least.

Some of my comfy places:
    Lima's Taste Ceviche Bar
    Mary's Fish Camp
    Sazon

23. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    I remember being taken to McSorleys by some elderly aunts as a kid and then going to one in Washington DC a few times when I was there for a student summer job. I didn't realize they were still around.