NYC-AKL in November, 57k BA miles to burn, suggestions?

Discussion in 'oneworld' started by TrueBlueFlyer, Jun 16, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. TrueBlueFlyer
    Original Member

TrueBlueFlyer Silver Member

Status Points:
    I'd like to book a one way ticket from NYC to New Zealand, AKL seems to be the most accessible airport but I'm open to other options. I have 57k British Airways miles left from the 100k Chase card promo... that I'd like to use for this trip which will take place in November or December.

The best option I have come up with so far was 20k NYC-Santiago, Chile + 37k Santiago, Chile-AKL though if I transit there I'm not sure if I am required to pay for the $140 Chilean visa, which I'd rather avoid.

I could also use 25k NYC-HKG/KUL/PEN/MNL but the last 10 hour leg of the trip seems pricey to NZ, unless a JetStar deal comes along.

Can you guys suggest any other recommendations/routings I may have overlooked?

thank you,

--Russ

2. Saracen
    Original Member

Saracen Silver Member

Status Points:
    I'm not a OneWorlder, but doesn't QF do JFK-LAX-AKL?

3. jmrich1432
    Original Member

jmrich1432 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Yes, but that would cost him 80k BA miles, unless there's an option for partial pay. (I know for BA awards this option exists, I don't know about QF)

ThePointsGuy has some great posts on using your BA miles. I highly recommend checking them out. http://thepointsguy.com/2011/04/how...s-post-3-understanding-the-oneworld-alliance/

Or you could always buy a OW with your BA card for 1.25x the miles and credit the flight to your BA account. Although you'll have to buy a full-fare economy ticket or else you will only receive 25% of the miles flown.

Good luck!

4. ThatJohn
    Original Member

ThatJohn Silver Member

Status Points:
    QF does indeed fly LAX-AKL, but it's on a 330 with suboptimal seats that aren't any better than LAN.

Have you considered getting yourself to HNL on AA and then connecting onto NZ to AKL? Another option is then to connect to SYD for non-AKL destinations in NZ. Hawaiian, Jetstar (Qantas' LCC) and QF fly HNL-SYD.

5. TrueBlueFlyer
    Original Member

Status Points:
    That is precisely why I'm avoiding flying British or Qantas using BA miles because the cost is prohibitive. AA or CX seem much more reasonable on BA miles.

Thank you for the link jmrich1432, I'll read up on it.

--Russ

6. TrueBlueFlyer
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Booked JFK-LIM-SCL SCL-AKL as two separate awards, total 57,500 miles + $44 USD

So now my BA account balance is 1 mile.

I don't plan to get the reciprocal visa for Chile as I will simply transit, is there any issue with that? Can BA or LAN link the two reservations? Most importantly, should I expect any issues checking luggage thru from JFK to AKL?

Any input on these routes would be much appreciated.

thanks,
    --Russ

7. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    Personally, I'd be nervous about doing this without the Chile visa. What would happen to you if the volcano disrupts flights again? I'm assuming that there's no visa on arrival program that applies.

jmrich1432 likes this.
  8. newbluesea
    Original Member

newbluesea Gold Member

Status Points:
    There is no such thing as " reciprocal visa " with Chile .. there is a reciprocal charge matching the fee Chilean citizens pay to obtain a visa for various countries (consequently the fee varies depending on your citizenship) and is collected upon entering the country at SCL only
    ( So if you entered the mainland from say Easter Island there is no fee)
    The fee can be paid at booths ( they accept CC) just before the immigrations check and is valid for the life of your passport.

In the case of the OP unless he is required to lay over then there should not be a concern about the fee.