NY Times on Noise Canceling Headphones

Discussion in 'Travel Technology' started by tondoleo, Jan 19, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. tondoleo
    Original Member

tondoleo Gold Member

Status Points:
  2. FlyingBear
    Original Member

FlyingBear Silver Member

Status Points:
    I would've liked to see them test lower end NC headphones as well. It would've been interesting to compare $50 vs. $200. I would expect the difference (sometimes) to be there, but not necessarily enough to justify the price difference. Also, would've been good to have the blind test, I suspect that it might effect some of the findings.

I am still impressed with Bose doing that well. Considering how cheap (and few) the components are in them, I do have to wonder how much of the benefit comes from people simply putting on something they "know" is high quality.

jbcarioca and AnthonyB1609 like this.
  3. DTWBOB

DTWBOB Silver Member

Status Points:
    I use a pair that I got from Brookstone for about $60 and they work fine -- I even use them at U of M games and they drown out some of the crowd noise (at times at least) .... but not the band.

DTWBOB

goalie and jbcarioca like this.
  4. AnthonyB1609

AnthonyB1609 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Ya I also would like to see a study in the cheaper ones. I have a pair of Sony that I got from the bestbuy kiosk at LAX for about $40. And I think they are fine.

jbcarioca likes this.
  5. 2wheels

2wheels Silver Member

Status Points:
    I've had a few different NCHs, from cheap $30 no-names ones to a pair of ~$100 Sony ones. After awhile, I got to notice the white noise though. Each pair would last me 6-9 months before I figured that it was more comfortable without them than with them. Then I got a pair of Bose QC15s... and fell in love. The difference is night and day. That was a year ago, and I don't go anywhere without them now.

From my experience, you do get what you pay for.

jbcarioca likes this.
  6. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    I got a pair of Bose QC2 (?) over-the-ear NC headsets and love them. They are comfortable and work well. I don't like their size and the amount of space they take up in my carry-on, though. So I take Shure earbuds on shorter trips.

Before buying the bose I had two different pairs -- one from Brookstone or Sharper Image and one from Sennheiser. Both were on-the-ear headsets and my ears started hurting after wearing them for five or six hours.

sobore and jbcarioca like this.
  7. jbcarioca
    Original Member

jbcarioca Gold Member

Status Points:
    Since the Bose 901 they have always used dirt cheap low quality generic components and somehow made magic with them. I do not understand, but I have used Bose Aviation headsets because they are simply more effective than any others IME. I say that reluctantly because cheap generic components should not do such wonderful tings, but they do.

sobore and tondoleo like this.
  8. tondoleo
    Original Member

tondoleo Gold Member

Status Points:
    Of course the NCHs I bring with me are not on the list. I have the Sony MDR-NC40s. They do the job for me.

IDGflygirl likes this.
  9. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Bose -- Better Sound Through MarketingMagic

IDGflygirl and tondoleo like this.
  10. Gargoyle
    Original Member

Gargoyle Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    I suspect good fitting ear pieces and a well designed spring loop (or whatever it's called) to hold it comfortably to your head are as important as the internal components. The Bose are so much more comfortable than any low end ones I've tried, that even if the internals were the same they'd be way more effective.

11. tom911
    Original Member

tom911 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Can anyone with Bose comment on battery life? How long do they last between charges?

12. Pizzaman
    Original Member

Pizzaman Co-founder

Status Points:
    I've had mine in my bag for two weeks of travel where I probably used them for collectively 15 hours and never got the low battery flashing light. I'm sure others have gone longer.

tom911 likes this.
  13. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Mine uses one AAA battery and it lasts maybe 20 hrs. I haven't really bothered to time it, because I don't change the battery that often. I usually carry a couple spare batteries in the Bose carry case, together with the two-prong adapter. And I don't bother with rechargeables for this (mostly because I don't want another item to carry around... the charger).

tom911 likes this.