NY Times Article on Mileage Running

Discussion in 'Mileage Runs/Travel Hacking' started by downhillcrasher, Sep 13, 2014.  |  Print Topic

1. downhillcrasher

downhillcrasher Gold Member

Status Points:
    Haven't seen this posted here, but I thought it was a good run down on mileage runs with all the recent changes to Delta and United. Some nice qoutes from the distinguished Gary Leff and overall a good read if you haven't seen it. Although, I disagree with the author's overall assessment that the mileage run is doomed, I know I'll still be making them!

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/09/14/upshot/the-fadeout-of-the-mileage-run.html

Last edited: Sep 13, 2014
    jbcarioca, Sammich and gleff like this.
  2. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    It is a mediocre article using a 10 year old example about RDMs as a reason the industry is changing.

Running for RDMs became a questionable value a while ago; these changes are not nearly as significant vis a vis the value proposition there.

8MiHi, jbcarioca and Sammich like this.
  3. 8MiHi

8MiHi Silver Member

Status Points:
    All too true. However, as the article suggests, MRs remain an important tool when there is a small mileage or segment difference that is needed to jump to a higher status level. MRs for RDMs is, as you suggest, not usually a good idea.

4. downhillcrasher

Status Points:
    I respectfully disagree. He cites a lot more than just the RDM mileage run as reasons why the mileage run is different now. Notably, the first few paragraphs of the article he mostly discusses running for status and the new minimum spend requirements now required to reach elite status (and yes I know there are way around this using a foreign address or certain credit card spend, but many people won't bother with that). This is a relatively recent change in the industry.

Overall, I give him some slack since its the New York Times not a boardingarea blog. With the RDM runs he is not making his main point, but rather giving background for a general audience (as opposed to milepoint members), hence it being buried at the end of the article.

For me this article has led to some nice discussion with non-frequent flyer friends who know I mileage run but don't quite understand why.

5. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Status Points:
    The CC option is so trivial and obvious that it deserves mention. Especially if the focus is on people who were already playing games with the programs. Leaving it out was a terrible mistake IMO.

And the RDMs discussion almost doesn't even belong in the story. People gaming award points mostly gave up on MRs a long time ago.

6. downhillcrasher

Status Points:
    'Terrible mistake' is a little overdramatic, maybe a minor oversight, but probably a judicious omission. While he could mention the CC option, he would have to point out its only good up to Plat on UA. Then he's forced in to a discussion of the various elite levels and a much longer, drier article. While you love to dwell on it in your blog and its fine for that small audience, the fine print doesn't really make for a good read in the New York Times.

I think that's the point he is making: the game for RDM has already changed and the game for status is now changing as well.

HaveMilesWillTravel likes this.
  7. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Except that RDMs were specifically mentioned in the article, and not as a "things changed long ago" bit. And the game for status hasn't really changed in the past 3-6 months. If the point was to tell a story about last year's news then I suppose this was a decent article, but it seemed to me that it was focused on the recent changes - revenue-based earning at DL/UA - and their impact on MRs. And, as we seem to have agreed on, that ship sailed a while ago.

8. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points: