NY Pizza Help

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Dining' started by zshanlon, Dec 14, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. zshanlon

zshanlon Silver Member

Status Points:
    Not the most important topic in the world but im with my family in NYC this week and we are looking for some good NY style pizza. C'mon milepointers, give me a good recommendation.

2. MLW20
    Original Member

MLW20 Gold Member

Status Points:
    If you want really good NY pizza then come to Brooklyn! lol

For Manhattan- check out Lombardi's, Motorino, Pulino, Keste & Rubirosa
    For Brooklyn- Totonnos, DiFara, Paulie Gee, Lucali, Frannys & Spumoni Gardens

3. misterbwong

misterbwong Silver Member

Status Points:
    My two favorites are Grimaldi's and Lombardi's, in that order. Both are coal oven pizzas and taste best when eaten fresh.

If you get a chance, also check out Katz's Deli. Truly awesome pastrami.

rwoman, Sweet Willie and MLW20 like this.
  4. MLW20
    Original Member

MLW20 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Grimaldi's is very good. They actually just had to leave their space and moved either next door or a block away, I can't recall. I've been wanting to go again but the lines of tourists make it kind of an annoying trip to make.
    I read that the original Grimaldi's space (with the original oven) is being reopened under a new name by the original Patsy Grimaldi.

Katz is amazing! The pastrami and egg creams are ridiculously good!

rwoman and misterbwong like this.
  5. misterbwong

Status Points:
    I had no idea they're moving. Must keep that in mind the next time I'm in NY.

The lines are definitely absurd but if you go during an off time, you won't be waiting too long. The one in Queens has shorter lines but it's a little out of way unless you're going to be there anyway. I like the original's pizza slightly better but I don't know if it's just psychological :p

rwoman and MLW20 like this.
  6. MLW20
    Original Member

MLW20 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I personally would not eat in any Grimaldi's but the one in DUMBO. It only moved like a few doors down or maybe a block at most so if you go to the original location, you'll find it pretty fast!

7. Sweet Willie
    Original Member

Sweet Willie Gold Member

Status Points:
    maybe not to you....:D;)

Mrs Sweet Willie & I like Lil' Frankies www.lilfrankies.com

I look forward to other input on this topic!!

I was honored to be taken by dhammer53 to L&B Spumoni Gardens in Brooklyn for a lighter than air Sicilian square slice of pizza. Delicious !

dhammer53 and MLW20 like this.
  8. MLW20
    Original Member

MLW20 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I haven't tried Lil' Frankies but have walked by it many times! I've heard some good things about it. It's also a close walk to Katz's. :)

Sweet Willie likes this.
  9. Sweet Willie
    Original Member

Sweet Willie Gold Member

Status Points:
    Katz's is a regular stop before we depart NYC.

MLW20 likes this.
  10. MLW20
    Original Member

MLW20 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I need to go to Katz's again soon! What do you usually get?

If you love pizza, there are a couple in Brooklyn that you need to try- Paulie Gee in Greenpoint and Roberta's in Bushwick.

Sweet Willie likes this.
  11. Sweet Willie
    Original Member

Sweet Willie Gold Member

Status Points:
    always the pastrami, you?

MLW20 likes this.
  12. MLW20
    Original Member

MLW20 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Same! I usually get an egg cream too. The matzoh ball soup is also really good.

misterbwong likes this.
  13. misterbwong

Status Points:
    Man. All this pizza and pastrami talk is making me want to make a MR out to NYC and pick up some food!

I can't bring myself to buy anything but the pastrami at Katz's. It's just too good.

MLW20 likes this.
  14. MLW20
    Original Member

MLW20 Gold Member

Status Points:
    If you decide on a MR to NYC, maybe we can put together a Milepoint Pizza & Deli DO! lol

misterbwong likes this.
  15. dhammer53
    Original Member

dhammer53 Gold Member

Status Points:
    If you're a tourist in our city, you can eat at any (yes, I said any) pizza place in the city and you'll find it most enjoyable (compared to what they serve in your city).

Now, if you want a true NY pizza experience, I'd go with the above mentioned places. If you do go to Di Fara's, be prepared to wait. Google Di Fara's to see when they're closed. You don't want to go to Brooklyn only to find out he's closed. :eek: FYI, they're #1 on my list. If you go with 2+ people, it may be cheaper to call ahead and order a pie.

Sweet Willie, now I'm hungry.

SC Flier likes this.
  16. DCAview
    Original Member

DCAview Silver Member

Status Points:
    I agree that the Brooklyn Grimaldi's was far superior to all the other locations, but a word of caution: The new location that they're trying to move to will apparently not have a coal oven due to city regulations, so the pizza may not have the same flavor.

Grimaldi's founder Patsy Grimaldi, who sold the restaurant about a dozen years ago, has leased the DUMBO location -- including the coal oven -- and plans to open a new pizzeria named after his mother sometime soon.

17. MLW20
    Original Member

MLW20 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Thanks for the info-I had mentioned in one of my above posts that Patsy Grimaldi was taking over the original space again with a new name very soon.
    I think there has been some news regarding Grimaldi's trying to get an illegal oven into the new space... I guess the DUMBO pizza drama will continue for a while.

18. MLW20
    Original Member

MLW20 Gold Member

Status Points:
    DHammer- you forgot to mention that asides from DiFara's being closed on Monday & Tuesday you also need to check when they get closed by the DOH which happens quite frequently!
    The pie strategy to me works even if you are with one other person. I never buy a slice there. I'd rather spend $30 for the pie and take a slice home. I can't go to DiFara and wait a half hour to only have two slices!

I can't agree that all NYC slice places are good. I find pizza in Manhattan be really crappy unless it's a known place. However if you go to Brooklyn, Queens I do believe almost any place will have a good slice.

I also forgot to mention what I'd consider to be the best slice in a normal, not fancy & over-priced place.
    New Park in Howard Beach, Queens is totally awesome and won't cost $30 for a pie but it is a bit of a trek for a tourist.

19. dhammer53
    Original Member

dhammer53 Gold Member

Status Points:
    <<< stops at New Park when I park4free at Howard Beach when I fly from JFK.

SC Flier likes this.
  20. rwoman
    Original Member

rwoman Gold Member

Status Points:
    I was thinking this as I read the thread...I'll be in NYC 17-18 Feb on a MR.

:)

21. rwoman
    Original Member

rwoman Gold Member

Status Points:
    We like Lucalis near Carroll Gardens in Brooklyn.

:)

MLW20 likes this.
  22. MLW20
    Original Member

MLW20 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Lucali is awesome! I mentioned it earlier but have only been there once due to ridiculously long waits. They have a second location, owned by the Lucalis owner's brother called Giuseppina which is also very good.

rwoman likes this.
  23. rwoman
    Original Member

rwoman Gold Member

Status Points:
    I saw it after I posted...lol. We always go when they open to enjoy less of a wait! : D

MLW20 likes this.
  24. MLW20
    Original Member

MLW20 Gold Member

Status Points:
    No harm in mentioning a great place again! I like your plan of going early. I did that on Saturday when I went to Frannys- arrived a couple minutes before they opened at noon. I've been meaning to do that for Grimaldis again but haven;t had a chance and now with the move i'll wait and see if it is worth it.

25. Pizza Suprema on 8th Ave. across from Penn Station also gets high marks.