number of fliers or percentage of fliers in each of the medallion tiers?

Discussion in 'Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles' started by miledoc, Jul 27, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. miledoc

miledoc Member

Status Points:
    Does anyone know the number of fliers or percentage of Dl flyers in each of their medallion tiers? Just wondering.

jbcarioca likes this.
  2. NYBanker
    Original Member

NYBanker Gold Member

Status Points:
    Carriers don't publish this sort of information.

Based on absolute number of SkyMiles accounts, the percentage would by very low (<5%) (based on selective releases I've seen from US majors).

I recall having heard stats that DMs represent 2% or so of total MQMs flown, but far less than 2% of the total SkyMiles member set.

On any given flight, you could see just a handful of elites to well over 50% of the flight being elites...depending on day or week, time and route.

jbcarioca likes this.
  3. Traveller
    Original Member

Traveller Gold Member

Status Points:
    I heard approximately, don't know if this is true or not.
    311,456,000 General Members
    33,984,909 Silvers
    3,345,222 Golds
    768,989 Plats
    567,890 Diamonds

Gargoyle likes this.
  4. DeacFlyer1
    Original Member

DeacFlyer1 Silver Member

Status Points:
    No offense, but I can't think of any possible way in which these numbers are remotely accurate. 311 million general members? That would be every single person living in the US being a SkyMiles member...there's no way. Maybe if you move the decimal one place to the left these might be ballpark...

jbcarioca and USAF_Pride like this.
  5. DTWBOB

DTWBOB Silver Member

Status Points:
    Don't forget that Delta does fly to some places outside the US and some people that live there do come here.

Just listen to the announcements at some airports and count the languages you hear.

DTWBOB

mrredskin and jbcarioca like this.
  6. DeacFlyer1
    Original Member

DeacFlyer1 Silver Member

Status Points:
    I can't tell if you're being serious that I may not realize there are SM members who live outside the US, or sarcastic--but either way, I'm aware of that, but I purposely excluded the sentence saying "I'm aware that some SkyMiles members live outside of the US, but as DL is an American carrier, I'm going to assume that the majority of SkyMiles members are American." My use of the US population was merely an illustration of the numbers we're talking about here.

Regardless, the overall sentiment is unchanged. There's no way that 4.4% of the entire population of the world is a member of the SkyMiles program. Delta's a big airline, but they aren't that big.

jbcarioca likes this.
  7. DeacFlyer1
    Original Member

DeacFlyer1 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Was trying to look into this a little further, and while this may not be entirely accurate, it's the closest thing I've found to definitive numbers: Randy Peterson has compiled the following info and has it up on the website of his "Frequent Flyer Services" company (link):

As of January 2006, "...the world's frequent flyer programs boasted more than 180 million members, 120 of whom were U.S. residents." It goes on to say, "American AAdvantage is the largest frequent flyer program in the world...[with] more than 46 million members."

He also said at the time that frequent flyer programs were growing by 11% annually...so doing the math, at an 11% growth rate, that would put the total number of enrolled members of all combined frequent flyer programs in the world at about 336 million, as of 2012. So no way there are 311 million Sky Miles members.

Also doing the math, the 46 million number for AA was quoted as of 2001, and it said that 11,000 new members enrolled in the program each day (which seems really, really high to me). But if we assume that growth rate, that would mean AAdvantage is currently sitting around 86 million total members. Again, no way Sky Miles has 311 million.

jbcarioca and aviator8 like this.
  8. rwoman
    Original Member

rwoman Gold Member

Status Points:
    There's been some recent discussion on this topic on FT as well... LINK

Given there are roughly 350 million people living in the US, I doubt 311 million of them are SkyMiles members...

DeacFlyer1 and jbcarioca like this.
  9. DeacFlyer1
    Original Member

DeacFlyer1 Silver Member

Status Points:
    There aren't quite that many people here yet...309 million as of the 2010 census, and estimated 314 now...so even less likely that there are 311 million SkyMiles members!

10. rwoman
    Original Member

rwoman Gold Member

Status Points:
    :)

11. Traveller
    Original Member

Traveller Gold Member

Status Points:
    ;)

12. Gargoyle
    Original Member

Gargoyle Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    Sorry, you're wrong. It's only 527,890 Diamonds. You typed a digit wrong.
    And it's 39,384,909 silvers, you transposed two digits.

You need to sleep in better hotels, you're not getting enough rest.

USAF_Pride likes this.