Nude-O-Scope Opt-Out Experiences

Discussion in 'Travel Security' started by FriendlySkies, Feb 5, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. FriendlySkies
    Original Member

FriendlySkies Gold Member

Status Points:
    How was your latest opt-out? Did the clerk seem hostile and prevent you from opting-out, or did they understand the reasons and tell you that they too are worried about TSA?

Chimpy likes this.
  2. Traveller
    Original Member

Traveller Gold Member

Status Points:
    I've had 2 Opt-Outs in the last 2 weeks. First TSA officer told me she is returning to school to get a better job. Second one told me she believes in free choice and what I choose (NOS or pat down) is my choice. Officer #1 seemed sincere, officer #2 seemed sarcastic, "if you don't like it, don't fly".

3. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    Two opt-outs so far (no nudoscope walk-throughs for me):

1. SFO International Terminal. It was back in Nov or December and the supervisor asked me for the reason; they were apparently keeping statistics on why people chose to opt out. Overall, TSA agents (or rather "Team SFO" agents) were professional about it.

2. SAN. I thought I wouldn't have to opt out because the nudoscope wasn't in use until about three passengers before me. When they started directing people into the machine, I told the officer that I would opt for the pat-down. She seemed a bit annoyed that my carry-ons were already in the xray machine, but I told her that my wife would take care of them (she had walked through the nudoscope... not gonna argue that with her) on the other side. Took them a while to find an agent to do the pat-down, but I wasn't in a rush. I do wonder what they'd have done in regards to my carry-on bags if I had been by myself. I'm already consolidating all my stuff INTO my bags (no loose items other than laptop and ziplock bag), but I still wouldn't feel good about having that stuff sit around unattended.

Chimpy likes this.
  4. joesmoe
    Original Member

joesmoe Gold Member

Status Points:
    I've opted out a couple times at DEN, both times I remember they just patted me down and let me through without much other issue.

The one time, on a separate note, they did harass me because all my liquids wouldn't fit into a single ziplock back, but I believe this to be unrelated.

Chimpy likes this.
  5. Firefly
    Original Member

Firefly Silver Member

Status Points:
    HaveMilesWillTravel, I've been traveling weekly through SAN and luckily haven't seen the NOS in use at all in Commuter Terminal, and only rarely in Terminal 1. Which Airline were you flying/Terminal?

6. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    United Airlines main line. That's Terminal 1, I think.

7. Firefly
    Original Member

Firefly Silver Member

Status Points:
    Yes indeed. Good to know, thanks.

8. Kelsey
    Original Member

Kelsey Silver Member

Status Points:
    NOS was running for 2 of the 3 lines in A Terminal at SAT earlier this week, were directing me to the lines with the NOS but asked to go in the non-NOS line (along with a couple other people) and they were fine with that.

Declined at MSY, completely professional, no complaints. Declined at MCO, made me while for a bit more than I'd like, but agent was quick and fine. Had to tell them I was not going to let my items out of my sight though so they kind of got huffy, but this was right at the beginning of the enhanced patdowns.

No one ever asked me my reasons or wanted more information.

9. GUWonder
    Original Member

GUWonder Silver Member

Status Points:
    At some airports where I opt-out, I notice the screeners act as "oh no, another one -- my bad luck" when I opt-out and they hear the shout out "opt-out" or whatever they say to get things ready for me. Perhaps I am not as hot as the run of the mill person who excites their loins.

10. FriendlySkies
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Seems like many of the screening clerks are annoyed at the thought of touchings another person, multiple times per day.. I don't blame them! If it's not my girlfriend/wife, I don't want to feel your parts :eek:

11. aviators99
    Original Member

aviators99 Silver Member

Status Points:
    I fly in and out of SFO almost weekly. I used to opt out just about that frequently (when I couldn't finesse my way into another lane). Now I haven't had to in several months. I think they're starting to recognize me and leave me alone.

12. Lucky
    Original Member

Lucky Silver Member

Status Points:
    Past two times I've been selected for the NoS the agents signaled me to go through the metal detector as soon as they saw my enthusiasm for the NoS. Just tell the agent "can't wait for my massage" and stretch a bit, and they'll send you on your merry way.

DeltaExpert likes this.
  13. gemac
    Original Member

gemac Silver Member

Status Points:
    Thought I was going to find out at LAX T-4, my first encounter with the NOS (my home airport, STL, doesn't have them yet). Went up the elite escalator, saw the line nearest the TSA guy had a NOS. When I got up there, they didn't seem to care which line I got in, so I got in the other line with the magnetometer. If you can choose to go through it or through the magnetometer, what good is it?

Also, if you can choose to fly from an airport without one, wouldn't a really smart (OK, not a total dunce) underwear bomber just do that? Once behind security, you can go anywhere and get on any flight, normally without having to go outside security.

14. FriendlySkies
    Original Member

Status Points:
    I've wondered the same thing. What's the point of having the cancer scopes, if they are turned off so frequently :confused: :rolleyes:

15. giggs
    Original Member

giggs Silver Member

Status Points:
    I have done 1 opt out and it was a most unpleasant experience. They were surly and not very happy about having to do it. Especially when I asked them to put on fresh gloves when conducting the search.

16. FriendlySkies
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Try asking them to swab the new pair of gloves.. That should really get them going!

17. giggs
    Original Member

giggs Silver Member

Status Points:
    Since I'm flying tomorrow, I might get the chance to ask them.

18. FriendlySkies
    Original Member

Status Points:
    With some members reporting that machines are giving out false positives, it never hurts.. Might save you from the back room grope!

19. GUWonder
    Original Member

GUWonder Silver Member

Status Points:
    The following is a very good demand as it is but an effort to minimize the chances of being ordered to go for a "private screening" to resolve a "false alarm" from the op-out-related swapping (which doesn't occur as readily if going through the strip search machine):

New gloves + swabbing of gloves before opt-out ought to be a best practice demand of all passengers who are or whose belongings are being subjected to the ETD. The TSA contamination of you or your belongings resulting in an ETD flag down is worse than making them wear out their supplies/equipment amongst perhaps other things.

Gate-screenings are part of the TSA picture supposedly in part because of strip search machines and related opt-out screening not being in place at all airports that may be feeding another airport with the strip search machines.

20. ddrewboy
    Original Member

ddrewboy Active Member

Status Points:
    Two opt-outs so far. Both were at LAX. Both line attendants did not have a problem with me. The first masseuse seemed a little annoyed when I asked him to change gloves but no big scene. The second masseuse was quite courteous and rather humorous. I have never asked for a swab but would be interesting to see the reaction next time.

21. CJN

CJN

I've never had to go through one, let alone opt out (and I fly a lot!). I purposely avoid Reagan-National now because going through nude-o-scopes is virtually a sure thing. But Dulles is pretty porous, usually about half aren't on at any given time. At LAX T-6 (United premium), where I've gone through about a dozen times in the past few months, I've always been able to avoid them by being in the far right lane, which doesn't lead to one. Here's hoping they don't install any more...I'd probably switch airlines and take my chances with another terminal. Constantly outwitting the TSA with admittedly clever quips about massages, etc, is not how I want to permanently spend my travel life. [​IMG]

22. bluesky
    Original Member

bluesky Gold Member

Status Points:
    Out of JFK T7, and ORD T3, selected for NOS (X-ray device) and opted out.
    No attitude, but they did make me wait for about 10 minutes for no obvious reason.

Despite what I'd read and was expecting, their hands did not reach the top of my thighs on either occassion.

23. Quiet Lion
    Original Member

Quiet Lion Silver Member

Status Points:
    After several uneventful opt-outs I got a bad one at SEA of all places. The agent there whacked his hand upward into my junk three times. I yelled louder each time and finally they got me a different agent, who started the process all over again and didn't whack me. It was very unpleasant and I made quite a scene.

QL

24. Quiet Lion
    Original Member

Quiet Lion Silver Member

Status Points:
    Not being able to see your belongings while waiting for the pat-down is a very common occurrence. I insist every time and have to repeat myself loudly and ask for a supervisor because the SOP seems to be to make you stand far from the end of the belt.

QL

25. FriendlySkies
    Original Member

Status Points:
    If they do make you wait for a long time, ask for a supervisor. If you are still waiting after 15-20~ minutes, I'd ask for a LEO, as TSA is detaining you..