Nude-o-Scope As Compliance Test

Discussion in 'Travel Security' started by ItsADryCold, Mar 13, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. ItsADryCold
    Original Member

ItsADryCold Silver Member

Status Points:
    I just completed a series of flights around the country (ANC-MSP-NYC-BOS-JAX-ATL-SFO-SLC-ANC if you're curious) and noticed that --so long as I was willing to stand in the nude-o-scope line-- I never had to actually go through the nude-o-scope. I walked through the WTMD every single time.

Radiation and moral dangers aside, the nude-o-scopes are so inefficient that the TSA appears to use them as a compliance test. If you appear to be willing to go through a 'Scoping, then you must have NothingtoHide™ and are therefore cleared for metal detector use.

Scottrick likes this.
  2. Flag_November
    Original Member

Flag_November Silver Member

Status Points:
    Oh, no, let's hope the evildoers don't frequent Milepoint!

3. DesertRose
    Original Member

DesertRose Silver Member

Status Points:
    Except for the case when you are a female traveling alone, and you try to be helpful and friendly to other passengers, and you are 'randomly' selected with a smile (like they are doing you a huge favor...) because the TSO thinks you will cooperate and not create a fuss.

I really don't think there's any way to win. I've tried both strategies (actively trying to avoid vs just going with the flow and see what happens) and they fail pretty consistently. If there's a Scope operating at the checkpoint, somehow they always direct me through it. And I really don't think it's an attractiveness issue - I wish I had the kind of body where I could wear a bikini through a checkpoint, but alas, no. I think it's an 'easy prey' issue.

I really wish they would implement a system like Mexican customs, where you push a button, and if the light turns red, you have been randomly selected and will get a detailed search, but otherwise you walk through. When humans make the selections, they will always have a bias. The possibility of either attractiveness or vulnerability as subconscious criteria seems to mean that women traveling alone get selected disproportionately.

Scottrick likes this.
  4. alpinesoccer
    Original Member

alpinesoccer Silver Member

Status Points:
    I have been flying a lot this past month and I would say it is about 50/50 for going though the new detectors. The one place where I couldn't avoid them was in Amsterdam getting on my flight to Lagos. They were the only option. No option for a regular metal detector. This was also done at the gate prior to boarding. Most US domestic travelers aren't used to having to go through metal detectors at the gate and then into a secure "holding area". But more often then not when flying in/out of Africa this is the case. Also, if anyone was wondering....out of Lagos (where the Underwear bomber originated) the security is ridiculous. I usually get 2-3 pat-downs and go though both a new and old metal detector. Trust me those pat-downs are thorough ( I haven't been touched like that in a while:()

Dorlee likes this.
  5. Scottrick
    Original Member

Scottrick Gold Member

Status Points:
    I think it depends a lot on which airport you're in. Flying out of SEA, I never have a problem. If anything, when the nude-o-scope gets turned on, most passengers move to the metal detector line, which starts to back up. No one complains, and eventually the nude-o-scope gets shut down so that passengers will use both lines again.

Other places, particularly airports that are on my less-than-friendly list for a variety of non-security reasons, too (LAX is on here), they will pull you from the metal detector line and try to put you through the nude-o-scope, then lecture you about how it's for your own safety and you should feel so bad for daring to opt out.