NRT Showers and Lounges

Discussion in 'JAL | Mileage Bank' started by moa999, May 29, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. moa999
    Original Member

moa999 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Couple of questions for the friendly JAL board from a fellow oneworlder (Emerald).

Arriving QF21 on Fri Morning - due to land at 0630, although often early I understand

Have a 9.30am meeting near Otemachi so have been told best way is to catch the JR East Narita Express to Tokyo Station.
    Timetable shows I need to get Narita Express 2 Dep T2 07.33 Arrve 08.57, or T4 Dep 07.46 Arrive 09.03 (via hyperdia)

A few questions (my second time to Tokyo)
    1. Do I need to book ticket, or should I do at the airport (am guessing airport best but somewhat worried about queues for ticket)
    - is this map right http://www.jreast.co.jp/e/stations/e611.html
    2. Am guessing the Suica + Nex package is best value (airport only)
    3. Are any showers I can use before train
    This page - http://www.narita-airport.jp/en/guide/service/list/svc_37.html suggests showers only open at 7am, so likely to be very tight for the trains I need. I also have Priority Pass so could access the airside TEI or IASS lounge but again both only open at 7am and don't appear to use showers.

Departing QF22 on Sat night.
    Understand that best lounge for me will be the main First Lounge, then onto new Satellite First Lounge (as QF departs from the Satellite)

2. JALPak
    Original Member

JALPak Gold Member

Status Points:
    Um...Q1-3 aren't really JAL specific

Anyway I don't think you can access the airside lounge after arrival.

3. CrankyScott
    Original Member

CrankyScott Silver Member

Status Points:
    On the topic of NRT showers, does anyone have a report on the Delta SkyClub showers?

4. joejones
    Original Member

joejones Silver Member

Status Points:
    Instead of the NEX, I suggest taking the first Skyliner train at 8:21. This gives you over an hour to use the showers at NRT and would get you to Nippori at 9:10 -- from there you can take the Yamanote Line to Tokyo Station, which should get you to Otemachi at 9:30 sharp.

You should be fine booking at the airport whether you take NEX or Skyliner. There is never a long line in my experience.

The TEI and IASS lounges are landside but are cramped, have no food and poor beverage selections, and are generally just not worth visiting. And no showers. The listed shower room on basement 1 of T2 is going to be your best bet.

sobore likes this.
  5. Simon
    Original Member

Simon Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    I'd recommend you repost in the Delta forums as JAL is in a different alliance not to mention different airline so It is unlikely anyone reading this thread will know the answer.

6. JALPak
    Original Member

JALPak Gold Member

Status Points:
    The whole thread maybe other than the ex-NRT lounge part should be in local point forum!

7. HiIslands
    Original Member

HiIslands Silver Member

Status Points:
    The Suica+NEX deal is a very good one. Plus, you'll find the Suica card quite useful while in Japan. Unfortunately, you must buy this card from the JR Travel Service Center, and they don't open in time for your schedule. (Term 2's JRTSC opens at 10:30, Term 1's opens at 8:15).

I don't think you're going to run into long lines at the JR ticket windows, but you can always use the ticket machines, which have an English language option.

8. moa999
    Original Member

moa999 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Thanks for the tips all - will provide some other answers to my questions.
    JALPak, hopefully this will make this thread fit the JAL forums better.;)

Appears both T2 Satellite Lounges - First and Sakura are operating to restricted hours post earthquake
    Now 0730-1230
    http://www.jalagency.com/news/20110506.html
    so not available for my QF22 evening flight

I have also discovered that NEX is now running to a reduced schedule and seemingly not at all on weekends
    JR East has removed the English timetables from wesbite, only Japanese PDF is available:
    http://www.jreast.co.jp/railway/pdf/nex_timetable.pdf
    Hyperdia does not appear to have been updated for this - eg still shows NEX No. 4
    Jorudan - http://www.jorudan.co.jp/english/ appears more reliable

JR East page also says the SUICA+NEX page can be bought from the Ticket Office before the Travel Centre opens
    http://www.jreast.co.jp/e/suica-nex/

--
    Joejones thanks for the Skyliner suggestion giving me more time but the 5min transfer at Nippori and the 9.27am Tokyo station arrival are too close for comfort given I am not totally sure which way out of Tokyo station

So think it will be NEX2 into Tokyo, and the last Limousine Bus from Conrad out
    For what its worth quite amusing that the NEX and Sobu Line (Rapid) are very similar in time taken 86 v 95min yet the NEX fare is more than double due to the express surcharge

9. joejones
    Original Member

joejones Silver Member

Status Points:
    Don't worry about the timing of the Nippori transfer. There is a train literally every minute between Nippori and Tokyo. If you miss one, the next one is right behind it (sometimes right next to it).

Another option would be to take Skyliner all the way to Ueno and get a cab to Otemachi from there.

NEX should take 60 minutes to Tokyo. The Sobu Line rapid train is the slowest option into town (faster to take the Keisei limited express).

sobore likes this.
  10. moa999
    Original Member

moa999 Gold Member

Status Points:
    NEX seems to be under 60min in the middle of the day, but at least at the moment much slower in the morning peak.
    Would do Keisei if it got me there at 9.15, but at 9.30 cutting it too fine.