@ NRT SC Sat 1 yesterday: everyone knows this is BEST IN CLASS

Discussion in 'Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles' started by redtailshark, Jun 21, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. redtailshark

redtailshark Silver Member

Status Points:
    So onwards in BE from NRT to SEA yesterday. Inbound on NH from RGN - yes, you know - and then nine hours at the SCs.

It was interesting to see aspects of the DL operation unfolding during this time. I hung out at the Sky Priority ticketing lines for some time and observed a number of people expressing frustration with the UG policies. In particular, several people were exercise with having bought M fares or above and were being condemned to watch the flights go out with empty BE seats from their EC vantage points.... they could not understand "Why can't we be offered UG when there are empty BE seats and we've bought UG fares and clearly they won't sell the seats?"....to which, I quoted Jeff's mantra about BE cabin integrity.

I told them not to bother with the gate agents or SP booking agents, but communicate directly with the Jeffster. I gave them his email to ensure he remains in close contact with his customers :)

Onboard, it is always good to inhabit the top deck of the 744 although there's been refurb since the days I regularly flew this config and NRT was my home airport. Some of the flight crew - shhh! - confessed to being crew for TheAirlineThatCannotBeNamed. Not surprising, on a B744. They liked my FT D10 retirement flight sweats.

BE cabin and service was good. DL SM, however, was demonstrated to be best in class.

Gtitan likes this.
  2. Gtitan
    Original Member

Gtitan Gold Member

Status Points:
    RTS. while I agree that SM is well .... :rolleyes:, United is not doing the best job of the world in any part of its operations IMHO, and this comes from a once upon time, happy, CO PE, UA Premier Executive1K, and now Premier 1K.:(

redtailshark likes this.
  3. redtailshark

redtailshark Silver Member

Status Points:
    GT, agreed...far from it for me to pretend to be a UA apologist. I don't advocate UA in its entirety as superior to even DL.

There are plenty of operational shortcomings, including lack of schedule reliability, and the sometimes-not-helpful 1K line service. But whenever I deal with these, I close my eyes and picture booking an award on DL.COM vs UA.COM. Or visualize my convos with DL SMS before I quit, when I was still PM.... Or imagine myself in the position of those people at the NRT SC fuming at UG impossibility.... UA ug instruments are a dream compared with those "offered" by SM.

And for me, MP trumps all. This recent 4-week Shark RTW family vac would not have been possible without MP. It was certainly possible without DL SM - our presence on the 744 on this occasion was an artifact of RGN round 2.

Gtitan likes this.
  4. Gtitan
    Original Member

Gtitan Gold Member

Status Points:
    I agree that MileagePlus currency is far superior to SM currency. IMHO, there is no comparison. The GT family trip (three of us) to SYD in IFC last year was certainly evidence of that. However with the addition of spend requirements to elite status, the recent changes to non-elites abilities to tinker with their awards, and the misery of getting UAX to work, MP seems to be losing some steam (of course not as bad as SM).

Besides, we both know old friend (as many on this board do), the GOLD standard in the FFP offered PERKS in a North by Northwest World.;):)

Viva la RedTail!