NRT - > HND

Discussion in 'NRT/HND/KIX/ITM/CTS/FUK | Japan Regional Airports' started by edekba, Aug 18, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. edekba

edekba Gold Member

Status Points:
    An itenerary I am looking at lands me @ NRT at about 3pm. My flight out of HND isn't until midnight. I saw the thread & read a few things about the new skytrain between the two airports that take about 2 hrs however I do have a question.
    • Since its booked as one trip A -> NRT; HND -> B do I myself have to move luggage from NRT -> HND?
    • If not that means customs/immigration at HND again?!?
    Thanks!

2. CrankyScott
    Original Member

CrankyScott Silver Member

Status Points:
    I have done the airport change many times - there are two options that I know of:
    • Bus
    • Train
    I have not heard of the skytrain between the two - but would love to hear an update on this.

By far, the bus is the easiest. In the arrivals hall just ask for the HND busThe train involves one change and during rush hours can be confusing and overwhelming if you are not sure what to do. But if you have time, its more fun :)

As for customs and immigration and such. When you land in NRT, you will clear immigration, collect luggage and pass customs. Just as if you were staying in Japan. In HND, you will drop luggage and re-clear everything.

Here is a post I wrote about the reverse trip: http://milepoint.com/forums/threads/can-i-get-from-haneda-to-narita.6110/#post-539261

edekba likes this.
  3. edekba

edekba Gold Member

Status Points:
    Thank-you.
    That just sucks... I thought if we didnt have to deal w/luggage we could actually explore the city. But with luggage I dont think this is a good choice.

Thanks though.

4. sendaiben
    Original Member

sendaiben Gold Member

Status Points:
    Both airports are outside the city. Haneda is between Tokyo and Narita :)

5. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    :confused:

Haneda is to the south and slightly west of Tokyo while Narita is north east of Tokyo. How is Haneda between Tokyo and Narita??

I took the bus when I needed to make the transit. I was going to do the trains and visit the temple in Narita town again but decided not to this time.

skyvan likes this.
  6. HiIslands
    Original Member

HiIslands Silver Member

Status Points:
    Japan is one of those countries that is safe enough to still have coin operated lockers at the train stations.

Why not take the short train ride from NRT to Narita town, put your bags in a coin locker, and walk down the charming merchant street to the very large Buddhist temple? There is a beautiful, large garden behind the temples. There are also a lot of excellent restaurants in Narita town. You could have a relaxing dinner before going on to HND. Since you don't have to be at the airport until midnight, take your time over dinner and avoid the evening rush hour.

There is a tourist information window at the JR Narita Town station that can provide you with a map of the town, a list of the restaurants, and information about the temple, Narita-san.

guberif and edekba like this.
  7. Tad's Broiled Steaks

Tad's Broiled Steaks Silver Member

Status Points:
    I appreciate highly the prevalence of coin lockers (if you see "コインロッカ," which says "koin rokka," you're probably good to go) in Tokyo. Many a time they have helped, either being located in a metro station or in some random part of a busy district. Some now have instructions in English too.

8. joejones
    Original Member

joejones Silver Member

Status Points:
    They have direct trains between the two airports now, but only once or twice an hour, and only departing NRT between 7:30 AM and 2:30 PM. The trains leave from the Keisei "Access Limited Express" platforms. After the 2:30 departure, the Access Limited Express trains all go to Ueno, so if you want to take the train to Haneda you have to change trains at either Takasago or Aoto. It is basically a commuter train, so there isn't much room for luggage. The direct trains run later in the other direction -- last direct HND-to-NRT train leaves the Keikyu station at HND at 7:40 PM but you can get trains to Narita City as late as 10:15 PM.

The scheduled time between HND and NRT on the direct train is 103 minutes (slightly less to/from NRT T2 and the HND international terminal).

Generally speaking, I think it's a better idea to either (a) take the bus or (b) take a faster train between NRT and Tokyo and enjoy the city a bit en route.

9. RichardInSF
    Original Member

RichardInSF Silver Member

Status Points:
    And yes, you will go through exit immigration at Haneda before departure. No customs outbound though.

If this is your first visit to Japan, I'd consider just taking the bus to Haneda, checking your bags, and then maybe taking the monorail or train to/from Tokyo for a bit of touring. Note that you will need some Japanese Yen to do this, foreign currency is not generally accepted in Japan, although the bus and train companies do take credit cards.

10. kkosig

kkosig New Member

Status Points:
    Immigration and customs are at your entry airport, Narita Airport, only. The train service is available between Narita and Haneda, but it is not frequent. It runs once or twice an hour. The cost is almost the half price of the bus. It is a commuter train, so if you have a large luggage, you might feel awkward. If you have an ample time, this is you can do: Go to the Haneda Airport by bus, use one of the coin lockers to store your luggage, get on the Monorail, get off Hamamatsu-cho station, and visit Hamamatsu Rikyu park. Stroll the park and get on a water bus (boat) to Asakusa and Sensoji-temple. You will love the area.

11. QSG
    Original Member

QSG Gold Member

Status Points:
    HND is located at the following address: 4-3 Haneda-Kuko, 2-Chome, Ota-Ku, Tokyo 144, Japan , so very much located within the city of Tokyo, NRT is located in Chiba Prefecture ! The rest of what you wrote has no mistakes and just proves that some bloke from Sendai doesn't get out enough ! (joke) .:p

12. sendaiben
    Original Member

sendaiben Gold Member

Status Points:
    Ouch :(

To be fair, geography has never been my strong point! :D

QSG likes this.
  13. ChrisUNC

ChrisUNC Silver Member

Status Points:

Sendaiben probably thought he was on a round-the-world mileage run, in which case Haneda could be between Tokyo and Narita. :)

sendaiben likes this.
  14. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    And Staten Island is technically in New York City. :p

15. QSG
    Original Member

QSG Gold Member

Status Points:
    Apples and bananas baby !

16. QSG
    Original Member

QSG Gold Member

Status Points:
    Come and visit , I will buy you a beer to drown your sorrows ! :D

17. sendaiben
    Original Member

sendaiben Gold Member

Status Points:
    Visit where? And I'd rather have great coffee :D

18. QSG
    Original Member

QSG Gold Member

Status Points:
    A place between NRT and HND, and a great coffee will be not a problem ! I might know of a few people and places !:D

sendaiben likes this.