NRT/HND October Trip

Discussion in 'American Airlines | AAdvantage' started by timfrost, Sep 13, 2015.  |  Print Topic

1. timfrost

timfrost Silver Member

Status Points:
    Hi all, looking for some advice or insight.

I would like to travel to Tokyo with my partner Rob, leaving Los Angeles after 2200 on Oct 23rd or anytime on the 24th with the aim of being in Tokyo by 5-6pm on the 25th, but earlier if possible. I have PLT with AA, so Sapphire OW or however you want to look at it.

My partner has a genetic protein deficiency and is prone to DVTs in his legs - he shouldn't spend more than 2 hours seated in a conventional chair. The normal solution to this on longer trips is to make him get up every few hours for 5-10 minutes of laps around economy, which works fine. On the other hand, he's prone to motion sickness so it's better if he can sleep for a majority of the flight. (I sure can pick'em, eh?)

I don't have Business Class money, and unfortunately this late in the game I don't even have business class miles. 155k each way per person just isn't going to work - I have 267k available and will use every one of them if necessary, but buying thousands of miles is also illogical. Here's the other catch - I need to actually EARN miles on these flights to keep my status for next year. If I need to burn miles for Rob, I'm happy to do so, but I at least need to be a revenue passenger, possibly on my own PNR sitting in Y.

The place we are staying is closer to HND than NRT, and we would like to take advantage of the international dateline to experience Halloween in Tokyo and at home by flying out of HND on the 0005 flight of 01Nov to SFO, connecting there to LAX and arriving around 9pm on the 31st. :rolleyes: I have paid for the night of the 31st so we can stay up until 11am on the 1st if necessary.

If anyone can find anything more brilliant than I can or has any suggestions, I would be very appreciative. The $1076 round trip on AA LAX-NRT, JAL HND-SFO and AA again SFO-LAX is acceptable but I would like to get Rob in Y+ or J if at all possible. Sorry for the rambling and over-explanatory post, but I value any expertise or advice on something I might be missing.

Thanks! :D

Dublin_rfk and MX like this.
  2. Dublin_rfk

Dublin_rfk Gold Member

Status Points:
    Lots of luck, being just short of exclusively UA I can't help. But I am extending to stay in the area around Tokyo station area ( Akihabara ) just for Halloween. PM me if you think we could meet up.

Newscience likes this.
  3. timfrost

timfrost Silver Member

Status Points:
    Have you done Halloween in Tokyo before? I hear it's quite the event.

Newscience and Dublin_rfk like this.
  4. Dublin_rfk

Dublin_rfk Gold Member

Status Points:
    About ten years ago I experienced Halloween in Roppongi (at the HRC) and had a fabulous time. Since then I have train'ed through Tokyo around Halloween several times. The normal(?) level of Cosplay dress up explodes! I have a reoccurring project in the area. My Tokyo schedule this year is 24OCT / 2Nov.

Last edited: Sep 15, 2015
  5. Dublin_rfk

Dublin_rfk Gold Member

Status Points:
    I just looked at LAX/SFO to HND on your dates and saw @ $850.00usd. Shame you need AA credits as they are on UA metal. But if you decide to go the UA route I will offer UA GPU's for the correct fare class.

6. estnet
    Original Member

estnet Gold Member

Status Points:
    Wow that is a generous offer - but is the $850 fare gpu eligible? (just curious it never was when I was flying UA)

Dublin_rfk likes this.
  7. timfrost

timfrost Silver Member

Status Points:
    Wow, that's very generous - thank you @Dublin_rfk!! I ended up booking LAX-SAN-NRT, HND-SFO-LAX last night with the long hauls on JAL. We got bulkhead on the 788 upon request and the 773 has the new seats with extra pitch. I'll bug Rob to get plenty of exercise during the flights and his doctor recommended some different compression socks and said everything would be fine. I'm known to over-worry things.

8. Dublin_rfk

Dublin_rfk Gold Member

Status Points:
    Not sure either. My luck has not been good with TPAC upgrades but it doesn't hurt to offer.

9. estnet
    Original Member

estnet Gold Member

Status Points:
    Do you mind saying what the fare was? (I assume it gets AA credit since you mentioned that - did you check if the fare gets full credit - or are the long hauls codeshares (which I think always get full mile credit?)
    Also - compression "hose" or at least full length (feet to upper thigh) are more comfortable than "socks" and probably better protections as well ;)

Dublin_rfk and timfrost like this.
  10. timfrost

timfrost Silver Member

Status Points:
    It was $1030 each. It's AA flight number on JAL metal for the long haul flights and from what I read I believe it gets full credit, although the AA site is a little bit vague.

I'll have to see what comes. It may have been hose and not socks - I didn't order them so I'm not sure. :p I will definitely pass that along. Thanks! :)