Nozomi/Shinkansen reservation

Discussion in 'Asia' started by olmangsr, Oct 23, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. olmangsr

olmangsr Silver Member

Status Points:
    does anyone knows how to book online Nozomi tickets from Kyoto to Tokyo?i found this JR site(google translated ) but after getting train times and prices there isn't an option to purchase.

Screen Shot 2012-10-22 at 1.52.41 PM.png

2. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

DestinationDavid Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    I don't believe online reservations are allowed on the Tokaido Line, which is what you have above.

See the orange text in the middle of the screen here: LINK.

3. olmangsr

olmangsr Silver Member

Status Points:
    than i guess i should do it first thing when i arrive lol:)

4. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Unless you need a specific train or are traveling during Golden Week , I wouldn't worry about it too much. You can usually walk up and get a ticket that day without any issue, even for a reserved seat. At the worst, you can get an unreserved ticket and stand up for the two hours or until a seat comes open. There are so many trains between Kyoto/Osaka and Tokyo that I only reserve when I need to be somewhere at a specific time.

It also doesn't hurt to get tickets ahead of time though, just in case. :)

NYCUA1K, chrislacey and olmangsr like this.
  5. chrislacey
    Original Member

chrislacey Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    Assuming you don't live in Japan...make sure you check out the JR Pass online. There are lots of different travel sites/agencies that offer them. Keep in mind, you must purchase the pass before you go, but you go to a JR Rail office when you arrive and your time begins then. We received a "vocher" via FedEx or UPS (I can't remember) and had to bring that with us. When we were in Japan (during Golden Week), we made reservations the day before (note: we had the Green or First Class pass) and never had a problem getting seats. So if you're worried about going during a peak time, maybe the Green Car pass is worth it? When we were there...it didn't allow travel on the fastest Shinkansen trains, but the difference in travel time between Tokyo and Kyoto was practically not even noticeable. I'm not sure if that is still the case.

Edited to add: This is only cost effective if you'll be traveling on JR Line trains enough. Make sure you compare the costs. For example, I think we had to pay for the local trains in Kyoto. In Tokyo, I'm pretty sure that JR Line operates the 'local' trains so the pass worked for those.

Sweet Willie and artvndlay like this.
  6. olmangsr

olmangsr Silver Member

Status Points:
    @chrislacey i'm only planning on using JR for the Kyoto -Tokyo trip so no point on getting a jr pass...i think i'll just try when i get there.worst case i'll book a last minute JL flight for 4,5k avios:)but still want to try the nozomi.thanls for the advice !

chrislacey likes this.
  7. artvndlay

artvndlay Active Member

Status Points:
    I was in Japan two years ago and took the trains pretty much everywhere I went. I definitely second the idea of getting a rail pass. They are much more reasonable than the European versions I've seen. If I remember right, one way Shinkansen from Tokyo to Kyoto was almost the same price as a rail pass that was good for almost all of my train travel while I was there for two weeks.

There is a quirky step that Chris mentioned about getting a voucher and having to redeem it for the actual pass once you get to Japan. However, I found that process relatively easy in Tokyo as there was basically an international/english speaking office for this purpose.

There are a couple exclusions, the fastest of the super fast trains, but they are very limited and did not affect my plans at all. You can still take 95% of the bullet trains.

The information at seat 61 is right on.

And I noticed you were looking at Nozomi trains, I think they are one of the exclusions on rail passes!

8. Sweet Willie
    Original Member

Sweet Willie Gold Member

Status Points:
    excellent overall post chrislacey, having a First Class pass we had no worries about getting on any train, Mrs Sweet Willie & I still talk about the experience whenever we ride a train. "now arriving Shin-Chicago":D

chrislacey and tebfunk like this.
  9. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

Status Points:
    You can use the pass on just about any JR operated transit, including buses and the Miyajima ferry boat. JR does run local trains in the Kyoto area, but they're not always the most convenient for sightseeing. The JR line isn't too bad for getting out to Fushimi Inari for example, nor the longer hop from Kyoto to Nara. Moving around the main area of Kyoto would mean using another rail company though.

Tokyo does have a JR line that circles the city (Yamanote Line) and a few other useful line (Chuo and Sobe) that you can use the JR pass on, but again, it's not always the best method of getting to some locations. The local transit system in Tokyo consists of a huge number of operators with JR, Tokyo Metro, and Toei being the most popular.

Sadly the rail pass will not work on the Tokyo Metro or Toei lines, only the JR Yamanote, Chuo, and Sobe lines

Yes, the Nozomi (and Mizuho) is still excluded from JR pass usage, but as chrislacey notes, the time difference is not that large at all when you take the Hikari/Hikari Rail Star (major stops only), but is noticable on the Kodama lines (all station stops).

chrislacey likes this.
  10. spaced2
    Original Member

spaced2 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Second getting the JR Pass. I did the math when i was in Japan (~2010), and from what I remember it was economical if you were planning on taking one Shinkansen trip, and obviously increasingly so if you utilize it for ad hoc JR operated transit as well.

11. HiIslands
    Original Member

HiIslands Silver Member

Status Points:
    On your trip from Kyoto to Tokyo, try to sit on the left side of the train. If the weather is clear, you might be rewarded with a beautiful view of Mt. Fuji. I shot this photograph from the Shinkansen last year:

J112_012612_4701bw2.jpg

(Copyright 2011, all rights reserved.)

chrislacey and DestinationDavid like this.