Now You Enjoy Automatic HHonors Gold Status With Amex Surpass

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Credit Cards' started by NYCUA1K, Nov 14, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. NYCUA1K

NYCUA1K Gold Member

Status Points:
    Just arrived in SIN so I am a bit out of synch. Therefore I am sorry if this has already been posted as a new thread, but a quick search did not turn up anything. The following just landed in my inbox:
    SURPASS-GOLD.jpg
    Now, if the Surpass would just eliminate the darn foreign transaction fee it would be the only card a HHonors member would need, since it would make the Citi Reserve redundant (read: obsolete), while offering 2 more HH points/$. Something else that this does is to reaffirm the near total 'devaluation' of HH Gold status...

Espan and mht_flyer like this.
  2. Muerl
    Original Member

Muerl Gold Member

Status Points:
    Citi Reserve still has the free night and 30,000 points for 20 VRs. And for those who Diamond on Spend, that means you get a free night AS well for you 40k a year.

This is a welcome change, Not that it matter to me this year, a 1. I have both presently, and 2. I will Diamond on spend on my Surpass this year.

Espan, mht_flyer and NYCUA1K like this.
  3. NYCUA1K

NYCUA1K Gold Member

Status Points:
    All fair points. This is does not matter to those who will make Diamond regardless and also have both cards. If one makes Diamond on spend, I can see how the Citi Reserve could be advantageous; as of now, the Citi Reserve is still the winner in my book because it does not have a foreign transaction fee. On the other hand, I do not think that the other perks that come with spending on the Citi Reserve would mean much to me since I do not make Diamond on spend. My pattern of travel is more compatible with making Diamond on base points and spending ~$12k/yr on stays rather than spending $40K on the Surpass or the Citi Reserve.

Last edited: Nov 14, 2013
  4. Espan

Espan Silver Member

Status Points:
    Now if there was just a way to parlay 3 Gold (non stay-based) stati (both cards and MP Premium) to Diamond? ;)

NYCUA1K and Muerl like this.
  5. NYCUA1K

NYCUA1K Gold Member

Status Points:
    A way to convert Gold to Diamond? Hmmm...that would be nothing short of alchemy, which is what it might take to put some value back into the HH Gold status.;)

Last edited: Nov 14, 2013
    Muerl and Espan like this.
  6. havequick99

havequick99 Active Member

Status Points:
    Looks like a great deal! However, I just applied 31 Oct for the regular card. After hearing about this offer, I tried to change the card over to the Surpass card through the phone number on my card but they told me I couldn't upgrade until I have had the card for a whole year. I figured AMEX wouldn't have any problems taking money for a new card, but apparently they won't hook me up, so they lost out on my money this year -- I went ahead and took the HHonors Gold deal available here through Milepoint.

7. ChrisUNC

ChrisUNC Silver Member

Status Points:
    I feel sorry for the poor souls who earn their Gold status the old fashioned way - by actually staying at Hilton Hotels.

8. iolaire
    Original Member

iolaire Gold Member

Status Points:
    I think there is some sort of Card act law that prevents this now, see comment at bottom of this link:
    http://thepointsguy.com/2013/11/credit-card-reward-program-regulations-may-be-on-the-way/
    by Benjamin Szweda

9. havequick99

havequick99 Active Member

Status Points:
    Thanks for the info and link! It seems that may be correct; after reviewing a fact sheet on the CARD Act, it looks like my situation falls into the stability rule for credit cards. But that didn't AMEX from offering to start my application for a second card! I refused - I didn't want my credit to take the hit of applying for two credit cards in 30 days.

iolaire likes this.