Now they're gonna fix seats on the Seven-SIXTY-Seven

Discussion in 'American Airlines | AAdvantage' started by kansaskeith, Oct 12, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. kansaskeith

kansaskeith Gold Member

Status Points:
  2. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    'Crews will add a "secondary locking device" to seats in most of American's Boeing 767s, spokeswoman Andrea Huguely said Friday.'

I don't understand this. Didn't they just move the seats around a little? Why do they suddenly need a secondary locking device? Adjusting seat pitch isn't a new thing, even for AA (MRTC, anyone?).

3. Mapsmith
    Original Member

Mapsmith Gold Member

Status Points:
    Maybe they need to go back and set the seats to MRTC. That way they will fit the way they were designed. And they can just raise all the prices to the "premium seating" classification. Then they would not be getting hammered by not having families sit together.

I'd pay for MRTC.

4. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

Status Points:
    I am with you on being willing to pay. But many other people wouldn't. Which is why MRTC failed. They'd rather complain about the tight seat pitch, I guess.

newbluesea likes this.
  5. NYBanker
    Original Member

NYBanker Gold Member

Status Points:
    More room throughout PART of coach has proven to be the winning formula. They missed by one word.

6. newbluesea
    Original Member

newbluesea Gold Member

Status Points:
    Your second sentence as quoted is quite far from the truth.

7. kansaskeith

kansaskeith Gold Member

Status Points:
    Aside from the discussion of Mr. Carty's admirable but failed plan for MRTC a decade or so ago, I like havemileswillhopeseatissecure am curious back to the original subject:

why now, with no apparent incidents of failed 767 seats is AA going to this new effort on a different type of plane from the 757?

Obviously, it is a good thing to take safety measures before incidents occur. But why, and why now? Is it as simple as using a similar type of seat structure base that the 757s had and begun to fail? Is it more discussion-worthy such as those 767s had begun to be routed through the same Outsource providers as the 757s? Was there a particular morale issue involving AA personnel working on 767 interiors? Were 767 coach passengers in the cattle-car, post MRTC era also infamous for spilling their sodas? And what does this tell us about other airlines flying 757s and 767s?

Like havemiles, I just don't know, and we may never, I guess.

HaveMilesWillTravel likes this.
  8. guberif

guberif Silver Member

Status Points:
    "Secondary locking device" = bolt

9. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

Status Points:
    And why was that bolt not needed before? What changed?

10. Bay Pisco Shark
    Original Member

Bay Pisco Shark Gold Member

Status Points:
    Perhaps they already had the bolt, but not the nut? ;)

kansaskeith likes this.
  11. kansaskeith

kansaskeith Gold Member

Status Points:
    Pretty funny. But are you suggesting there haven't already been enough nuts at AA?

12. Canadi>n
    Original Member

Canadi>n Gold Member

Status Points:
    Dropping MRTC was one of AA's biggest missteps. Curious none of the news stories referenced the 757 issue was around the introduction of the new spacing of several rows of coach seats. I surmised that may have been the reason.

13. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

DestinationDavid Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    How so?

14. kansaskeith

kansaskeith Gold Member

Status Points:
    Actually, while I am too lazy to surf it now, I did see at least one story on the 757 loose seat issue that mentioned the revamping of coach for Main Cabin Extra; however, as with you and me, it was someone surmising that it might be related, not saying firmly that it was connected. Or disconnected and loose, heh heh.

15. Canadi>n
    Original Member

Canadi>n Gold Member

Status Points:
    Because it gave UA a competitive advantage with E+. And now with DL having adopted a similar approach to the economy cabin, AA has had to bring it back (in a more practical fashion). It should have been scaled back to the UA model at least rather than being abandoned completely. It's one of the reasons I dropped AA for my US flying and moved to UA. I am back because one of the benefits of ExecPlat is exit row seating with extra leg room when not upgraded to domestic F.

16. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

Status Points:
    I agree that it's clear offering extra leg room in a portion of the Y cabin seems to be the winning combination for the time being.

Saying that AA dropping MRTC was a mistake is a different issue though, it wasn't working and clearly needed to go.

newbluesea likes this.
  17. newbluesea
    Original Member

newbluesea Gold Member

Status Points:
    AAs introduction of MRTC was ahead of its time if the pax who are now embracing the UA model where just not prepared at the time to pay the extra cost.
    What I do find a bit perplexing in this whole discussion that posters here have completely missed the fact that it was YEARS after AA eliminated MRTC that it even crossed mind UALs to introduce E+

So to say that one abandoned AA when they eliminated MRTC in favor of UALs E-plus seems a pretty tenious stretch IMHO.

18. kansaskeith

kansaskeith Gold Member

Status Points:
    Hey, newbluesea, you using the new math, heh heh?

According to these, American eliminated MRTC in 2005 http://seatexpert.com/blogs/ask_the...-airlines-more-room-throughout-coach-product/ , and United began using Economy Plus on some planes in 1999: http://www.aircraftinteriorsinternational.com/news.php?NewsID=36362 .

(The reason your post jumped out at me is that I haven't flown United <except for CO> since the millenium began, and I remember flying Economy Plus with them a time or two when UA was still my airline.)

19. newbluesea
    Original Member

newbluesea Gold Member

Status Points:
    Not new math ...perhaps poor memory :) bolstered by the fact that I rarely flew UAL or prehaps the number of converted aircraft were not fleetwide..... anyway I stand corrected.:)

Assuming 1999 Its interesting that its seems to have taken over a decade to fully take hold with the flying public.

20. Canadi>n
    Original Member

Canadi>n Gold Member

Status Points:
    Among those that really mattered to UA, and some which it managed to attract away from competitors (the business traveller and dedicated FFer) it was a major factor. So major retention factor. But it was only in recent years that UA began to heavily promote E+ to the occasional traveler and non-elite MP members. And with the merger after CO execs took the helm, it wasn't at all that certain E+ would continue and be extended to the CO fleet because its two major competitors didn't offer the product (this was pre-DL announcement). E+ was heavily promoted and appears to have generated enough incremental income for UA to make these execs decide to keep it and convert CO planes. (Pop ups at OLCI and airport check-in more aggressively promoted E+ at a given price which had not always been the case. Packages containing E+ upgrades and fast track airport services were pushed.) And it did help that DL announced the introduction of a similar coach product. All of which have pushed AA into adopting the similar seating in coach...particularly beneficial on overseas flights (where US carriers have resisted the true and most costly Premium Economy model).

In any case, this is a true benefit for non-ExecPlat elites who will get this seating in lieu of using 500s to upgrade into F on NAmerican flights...and offer more seating options for ExecPlats whose upgrades don't clear. Not to mention a welcome few inches more on overseas flights in coach.

But we digress...

21. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

Status Points:
    For PLTs, sadly the gravy train for GLDs won't last very long since their access is removed at the end of next year.