Now i know how the credit card companies feel when i churn

Discussion in 'Newbies' started by particlemn, Mar 6, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. particlemn

particlemn Silver Member

Status Points:
    I know this is the "friendly board" and this area is for newbies to post but I am getting a little frustrated. there seems to be a buch of people registering and making one post in hopes of winning an ipad mini and then disappearing, (its kinda like meeitng the minimum spend then canceling the card)
    some are posting questions like "whats the best airline" then some of us get fooled and actually try to give some insight on how to pick an airline but we are only taking to ourselves, others keep starting new threads(yes i know i started a new thread to complain) to say nothing other than i want to win an ipad followed by a bunch of people welcoming them.
    Now I want to be supportive of everyone joining and learning about this hobby, i wonder if all the request and ipad threads can be merged and we can start a "i want an ipad so i poist here thread so i can just skip it and read here to learn and help others.
    sorry for the rant

boondr, misman, marcwint55 and 10 others like this.
  2. mtlfire

mtlfire Gold Member

Status Points:
    On the positive side, if this post hadn't intrigued me... I'd have no idea there was a win an ipad mini contest. Off to search.

3. edekba

edekba Gold Member

Status Points:
    Welcome to MP! .... oh wait sorry. Thought that since was in the newbies forum that would be my first post hah

4. thrashsoundly
    Original Member

thrashsoundly Silver Member

Status Points:
    While I understand the intent of the giveaway to attract new members to MP, I feel like it also defeats the purpose of the community to have one and done posters for events like this. It seems like it would be more appropriate to have the prizes available to those who meet some minimum time frame for membership or minimum membership level.

I guess it would be akin to upping the spend requirement or having an annual bonus on a CC.

marcwint55, Brit, malikguy and 2 others like this.
  5. Sweet Willie
    Original Member

Sweet Willie Gold Member

Status Points:
    nature of marketing and nature of boards such as this.

The % of lurkers that never post is very high on most boards. (one could get into the whole psychology about "takers vrs givers" but that should be saved for another thread).

Hopefully the ipad giveaway attracts consumers who are interested in Travel/Points/Miles and they will stay & become contributors. As you can imagine, most that sign up for a promo are not interested in actually becoming contributors, nor are they even interested really in Travel/Points/Miles.

6. Drive4Show

Drive4Show New Member

Status Points:
    I see where you're coming from particlemn, but the ipad give away brought me here and so far I love this site. I don't know how I've never stumbled across it before as I am a loyalty whore. If I can sign up for points, miles, or even a hug...I will. I'm glad I've found it...even if they suckered me in! :)

7. edekba

edekba Gold Member

Status Points:
    I think then, that you are the type of people that the promotion was aiming to "snare"

enjoy your time here!

hehe I'm waiting for my iPad Mini

marcwint55 likes this.
  8. TravelBear

TravelBear Gold Member

Status Points:
    126 Members online
    556 Guests online
    Totals may not include hidden guests

9. marcwint55

marcwint55 Gold Member

Status Points:
    welcome to Milepoint

10. particlemn

particlemn Silver Member

Status Points:
    welcome to mile point

11. thepointstraveler

thepointstraveler Silver Member

Status Points:
    Glad you found the site! Welcome to MilePoint!