Now I am least bothered about Diamond membership

Discussion in 'Hyatt | Gold Passport' started by kayjay, Mar 18, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. kayjay
    Original Member

kayjay Silver Member

Status Points:
    Since there is no Hyatt promotions since Jan 2011, I am not keen to maintain my Hyatt Diamond membership. I'd rather give my business to SPG where atleast I earn points thro' stays and SPG Amex card. I miss the Hyatt nice breakfast but at what cost? I don't see any good value with these recent promotion.
    Any thoughts on this?

Gargoyle likes this.
  2. sealiz
    Original Member

sealiz Silver Member

Status Points:
    I think that if there is a chain that makes sense for your travel patterns then go for it. I just hope that next year you aren't posting saying "I wonder if Hyatt will GIVE me Diamond since I didn't make it. . " ;)

seaflyguy likes this.
  3. kayjay
    Original Member

kayjay Silver Member

Status Points:
    I personally don't care about status!

4. Toula
    Original Member

Toula Gold Member

Status Points:
    You have to do what is right for you.

We determined sometime ago we would not pay the money to maintain status. Not having any status means not getting upset when you don't get what you think a program owes you. That said, we have managed to maintain Plat status with Hyatt which we do enjoy because of the free internet. We also have Gold with Hilton and Plat with Priority and that is without putting all our business in one direction.

We aren't bothered about not getting upgrades, we aren't bothered about getting free breakfast or club access because we are not big breakfast eaters and we are happy to go and eat where we choose and not get upset at the club offerings. On occasion we have been upgraded and given club access but with the exception of the Grand Hyatt in Hong Kong we have not even bothered going to the lounge.

However, this only works for us because of the way we like to travel. If I was a road warrior staying in a hotel 5 nights a week I may feel differently.

TheBeerHunter and kayjay like this.
  5. kayjay
    Original Member

kayjay Silver Member

Status Points:
    I like free Internet and I am road warrior as well. But my company provides me a verizon wireless card which I can use anywhere in the US.

6. efox

efox Member

Status Points:
    That removes a big hurdle for you to switch to SPG. For me, not having free internet access before reaching Platinum is the reason that prevents me from fully embracing SPG.

kayjay likes this.
  7. kayjay
    Original Member

kayjay Silver Member

Status Points:
    I have Platinum with SPG as well. Giving my business to Hyatt just to maintain status is stupid. Rather earn SPG valuable points.

8. swisshera
    Original Member

swisshera Silver Member

Status Points:
    Hyatt diamond definitely has some pluses over SPG plat. When I was an SPG plat, I felt like I had to beg or twist some arms at the front desk for a suite or upgrades most of the time. Sure enough it has to do with which property at what time of the year, but I never had that feeling with Hyatt. The confirmed suite upgrades, especially at high end properties outside of the US, are definitely worthwhile. That said, the coverage of Hyatt properties in Europe is just not enough.

9. kayjay
    Original Member

kayjay Silver Member

Status Points:
    Yeah agreed. Hyatt could really expand their properties in Europe. Except for Best Western hotels, it is hard to find other US chains that common in Europe esp. in Italy, where I am heading to in couple of weeks. Atleast SPG properties are few but in the main attractions of all the major cities there.

10. joanek
    Original Member

joanek Silver Member

Status Points:

Really? I find that SPG always upgrades me to a better room category, and Hyatt sometimes needs to be prodded---especially on points stays. But I do place my Hyatt true upgrade rate at about 80% without having to beg...which really isn't too bad. And I think my international upgrades are always better than the US ones.

11. Sam Axe
    Original Member

Sam Axe Silver Member

Status Points:
    I'm giving them a few more months. There are a couple of places for work where Hyatt is my #1 choice simply on a reasonable rate and a great location, and I'm giving them that business. But otherwise, they're having to compete on mileage-adjusted price against Hampton/HGI, HIX/Staybridge, and Priceline 3.5* bids. And they are rarely winning.

By early June, I'll have to decide whether to abandon ship with Hyatt and focus on regaining HH Diamond, which I gave up after 8 years because of their devaluation last year and the insane rates at some Hampton/HGI locations.

kayjay likes this.
  12. MilePointInformed
    Original Member

MilePointInformed Silver Member

Status Points:
    Thanks for the thoughts in this thread I hear regularly from a large number of members I stay in contact with around the world.In particular the folks I hear from in North America are taking a more negative stance towards Hyatt Gold Passport this year which I found surprising considering the benefits and consistency in program treatment overall.
    That of course as in every program will depend on where one stays and if in full service vs limited service properties.There is little to expect in a Hyatt Place or SummerField Suites when it comes to recognition of any kind.............

The leisure travel folks in particular have sounded outright hostile.
    The issues I hear about in no special order are
    No promotions since January as previously stated (true can't debate that)
    (Except the good folks from Hyatt are launching one at the end of the month)
    Outright anger over the loss of G bonuses one of the most popular Gold Passport program incentives of all time
    lol I guess those complaining about them never posting might reconsider now if they were to return :D
    Higher costs of rooms in general.
    Higher rates for AARP and lower rates for seniors yet they are the same group essentially
    Increase in pricing of stay certificates with no prior notice
    And a massive increase last year in redemption rates for award rooms
    A number I hear from think the barage of promotions were essentially a smokescreen to counter members who might leave for another program.

I have tried to reassure the corporate customers and the leisure folks that the year is still young
    Would be surprised if Gold Passport on the whole doesn't build momentum as we turn into Summer and Fall with some more exciting promotional efforts that we have come to expect over the past decade..........I really don't think we should judge a program by Q1 alone.
    Having said that I agree with many others that the loss of the G bonus remains troubling.
    I thought it was a bad time to do cut this long time popular aspect of the program off during a sleepy Q1 promotionally...........I am keeping the faith in the folks that run this exceptional program and their past track record at present.

Should the program promotionally go into decline I may seek other options.
    But for right now I am sticking with my gut instinct and planning another reasonably good year as a Diamond member
    I predicted that there was no way to essentially top 2010 and so far my instinct was correct.
    In my 20 years in these programs I had never seen anything like the generosity of 2010
    The reigns had to pulled in to some degree as painful as that is for many who became accustomed that this would be the ongoing standard.

peteropny, Kaanapali and kenbo like this.
  13. Lalala
    Original Member

Lalala Silver Member

Status Points:
    I will probably maintain PLT with SPG again this year and drop down to PLT with Hyatt. Why? No real options for Hyatt in places I will most likely stay this year. I love them both, I love Hyatt more, but I can't make up the difference between paid work stays and leisure stays with 59 dollar stays at a Hyatt Place, like other folks have managed to do.

I am using my AMEX SPG card for most every purchase I make these days to boost back my pathetic point balance.

14. gleff
    Original Member

gleff Co-founder

Status Points:
    Hyatt faces a lot of backlast because they were so generous last year and this year isn't as much. But nobody is. The hotel industry isn't dying the way it was. They don't seem to feel the need to be as extremely generous.

But that's the bonus side of things. I still think that Hyatt Diamond is a far more generous level than Starwood Platinum or of course Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Priority Club Platinum.

Hyatt Diamond gives confirmed suite upgrades, Starwood it's catch-as-catch can. Now, if you stay at Starwood hotels in Asia or at nothing but the Diplomat then you'll do better maybe as a Starwood Platinum for suite upgrades. But for most, the ability to choose to have the suite when you want it is a killer app benefit.

Hyatt Diamond gives breakfast, Starwood does not, occasionally you'll get it out of Priority Club. Marriott generally gets you breakfast, Hilton does.

Hyatt Platinum gets you internet. Starwood doesn't match that.

I do think that the elite status benefits of Hyatt are pretty compelling. The only thing that matches is Intercontinental Royal Ambassador, love that 8am guaranteed checkin!, but while there aren't that many Hyatts there really aren't that many Intercontinentals.

Then value of points. Hyatt is pretty decent for in-hotel spend, they're more rewarding than Starwood. The Hyatt Visa is fine but I really still like the Starwood Amex. Personally I'd stay at Hyatt and earn with the Starwood Amex. Starwood is pretty poor earning for in-hotel spend, Platinum 500 point amenities help a little especially for Plats who do mostly 1 night stays but otherwise not so much.

And they did give us something in terms of a promo, coming in a week and a half finally. It ain't no Faster Free Nights sadly. But Free Night promos aren't out there much right now (though Best Western has one).

karung99, efox, DYKWIA and 4 others like this.