Now earn frequent flyer miles for Bing searches with Bing Rewards

Discussion in 'Other Loyalty Programs' started by Max M, Apr 22, 2014.  |  Print Topic

1. Max M

Max M Gold Member

Status Points:
    Bing Rewards just added new rewards partners, including the following airlines and hotels: American Airlines AAdvantage, Frontier Airlines EarlyReturns, Hawaiian Airlines HawaiianMiles, Icelandair Saga Club, IHG Rewards Club, LifeMiles, US Airways Dividend Miles and Virgin Atlantic Flying Club. Plus a couple of others that aren't airlines/hotels.

The redemption of Bing Rewards points for miles is only 100 miles/points at a time, so it's not a ton of frequent flyer miles.
    But least it's a way to get some miles for free to prevent miles from expiring, or top off to get over a reward level. :)

Last edited: Apr 22, 2014
  2. pointshogger

pointshogger Silver Member

Status Points:
    Definitely something interesting to look into, especially the part with helping us keeping our accounts active. Thanks!

But unfortunately (of course), it is unavailable in Canada and maybe some other countries as well.

B1BomberVB likes this.
  3. B1BomberVB

B1BomberVB Silver Member

Status Points:
    When I read your post, I thought, "Darn it! I just transferred my 950 points to Swagbucks, then to a $10 Red Lobster GC. But now I see that it takes 385--400 Bing points to get 100 miles. IMO $10 I'm getting > 250 miles I could have had!

4. Max M

Max M Gold Member

Status Points:
    Yeah, the Swagbucks or Tango Cards seem like a much better redemption option in terms of value.

But if you don't have a way to keep orphaned miles alive, it's better than having to fork out cash or to paying for a partner activity to keep miles from expiring.

Mrlasssen and B1BomberVB like this.
  5. pointshogger

pointshogger Silver Member

Status Points:
    With Swagbucks, you can get Southwest and Hyatt gift cards.

Max M and Sunshine7 like this.
  6. dayone
    Original Member

dayone Silver Member

Status Points:
    To me, the easiest and best-value Bing award is 475 points for a $5 Amazon gift card. It's a direct redemption so no transfer is necessary.

I agree with the above comment that this would be a good scheme to keep a dormant account active.

I'm a bit surprised that Alaska Airlines is not one of the partners, considering both Bing and AS are based in Seattle and that MSFT has a corporate contract with AS.

Max M likes this.
  7. WilliamQ

WilliamQ Gold Member

Status Points:
    Not available here yet.
    Is it only for North America?
    I remember waiting for Google's app store for ages before it was finally rolled out to Singapore.
    Made my first purchase while on a trip to US.

8. blackjack-21

blackjack-21 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Seems like it's only for the U.S.

9. newbluesea
    Original Member

newbluesea Gold Member

Status Points:
    I have been getting HA miles for search for quite some time now 8 months???

10. iolaire
    Original Member

iolaire Gold Member

Status Points:
    What volume of points are we talking about, say per month?

11. newbluesea
    Original Member

newbluesea Gold Member

Status Points:
    Not a lot... would say around 50-100 but I don't do a lot of searches just for the hell of it . The good thing about HA is that they are the only FF program which allows you combine miles at no cost from anybody's account and in odd increments, if you have a HA Visa.

Last edited: Apr 23, 2014
    iolaire likes this.
  12. Max M

Max M Gold Member

Status Points:
    Since you're racking up 50-100 HA miles monthly by doing searches, I take it this is from the Hawaiian Airlines search toolbar? [which is completely unrelated to Bing Rewards]

I do both searches with Bing to earn Bing Rewards, as well as using the Hawaiian Miles toolbar [which does Yahoo searches]. As previously mentioned, I usually redeem my Bing Rewards for Tango Cards, and then still get free Hawaiian Miles by using the toolbar you use.

Instead of directly going to a website, I use either of these search rewarders first to get some free swag. Doing this maybe adds 5-10 seconds to the process of going to a website. However this pays off in the course of a year.

With Bing Rewards the longer you search with them, the more searches and points you earn. Once you earn elite status with Bing Rewards they increase your search allowance, and once you hit top tier elite status--- Gold--- they provide a nice 10% point redemption discount on all reward options.

[I've been using Bing Rewards for 3.5 years, and the Hawaiian Airlines search toolbar for over 3 years]

Last edited: Apr 24, 2014
  13. Max M

Max M Gold Member

Status Points:
    The Hawaiian Airlines search toolbar gives you one Hawaiian Mile for every 3 qualifying searches. The key here is qualifying.

The toolbar uses some sort of algorithm to determine whether your search is worthy. Sometimes legitimate searches using the toolbar, even when not repeated during the same day are not counted as a search. This means it's not truly 3 searches= 1 Hawaiian Mile. More like 4-5 searches= 1 Hawaiian mile.

However, using Bing Rewards, every search counts towards your points. Some people get 2 searches to equal 1 rewards point, others 3 searches to equal a 1 rewards point. The difference is that Bing Rewards algorithm will still count a search for "93kaiseeewtwer2", whereas often a search using the Hawaiian Airlines toolbar for the same search query "93kaiseeewtwer2" or even a search such as "groupon" or "Mcdonalds" will result in a "invalid" search using the toolbar.

The Hawaiian Airlines search toolbar is VERY finicky and VERY stubborn. Bing Rewards is a very easy rewards generator.

That's not to say the Hawaiian Airlines search toolbar is worthless--- it just can be a pain when 10 different legitimate searches are disqualified, whereas with Bing, a simple mix of letters and numbers still count for a qualifying search.

iolaire likes this.
  14. Max M

Max M Gold Member

Status Points:
    The Amazon Gift card for 475 points is not a bad redemption. [the 475 rate is for Bing Reward Gold members, which reflects a 10% reward redemption discount]

However for 5 points less--- for 470 points [again with the Gold redemption discount factored in], you can get a $5 Tango Card, which you can redeem for a $5 Amazon Gift Card.

Sure, it's only a measly 5 fewer points, but if you skip a few searches, the 5 points can sometimes make a difference.

15. okrogius

okrogius Silver Member

Status Points:
    Comparing 475 points for $5 amazon and 385 points for 100 miles, you'd have to value each mile at >4cpm to have this make sense.

boondr likes this.
  16. Max M

Max M Gold Member

Status Points:
    True, about the average mileage value being >4cpm based on this metric.

However if you buy miles from the airlines to keep a dormant account alive, most airlines charge at least a $25 processing fee, in addition the the mileage purchase cost, even if you only the minimum amount of miles--500 miles or 1,000 miles. So even if you're only paying 2cpm for miles, that cpm spikes big time when buying a the minimum amount of miles, with the $25 "mileage processing fee" tacked on.

Whereas most people have no issue paying $5 to Amazon for a purchase.

For some people it would be a better redemption option of the Amazon gift card, for others it would be the miles if you want to keep an account active for free.

17. chef4u
    Original Member

chef4u Silver Member

Status Points:
    BING offer not available in Canada :mad:

blackjack-21 and B1BomberVB like this.
  18. Max M

Max M Gold Member

Status Points:
    My suggestion is for all Canadians to lobby Bing to include Canadians' searches to count for Bing Rewards via commenting on their Twitter and/or Facebook page:

http://twitter.com/bingrewards
    http://www.facebook.com/bingrewards

Of course, being polite helps. ;)

If enough people flood their Twitter feed and Facebook feed with the request to expand Bing Rewards to Canada, hopefully they'll listen.

I actually sent a tweet to Bing Rewards about a year ago, asking Bing Rewards to start offering frequent flyer miles as an option.

I encourage anyone residing outside the U.S., besides our friends to the North in Canada that wants to earn Bing Rewards to work outside North America to also contact them via their Facebook and Twitter page.

Last edited: May 10, 2014
    blackjack-21 likes this.
  19. Max M

Max M Gold Member

Status Points:
    For Tuesdays during the month of May, Bing Rewards has decided to double the number of searches one can perform for points!

20. dgreen12
    Original Member

dgreen12 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Canadians are too polite.

That's why so many offers exclude them.

:D

pointshogger likes this.
  21. Winningflyer

Winningflyer Member

Status Points:
    OP Max:
    Thanks for posting. I noticed I have a few hundred of these (how did I get those, anyway?) points. I think I am 100 US miles short of 70K. Might be the ticket (pun intended!)! :)

22. Max M

Max M Gold Member

Status Points:
    Winningflyer:

If you've already been doing searches on Bing, it's very possible that your searches on Bing have been tallying, even if you haven't officially registered for the program. I'm guessing since you said you noticed you have a few hundred of these points, you're seeing a screen similar to this:

[​IMG]

Notice that there is no name assigned, but there is a number assigned next to the ribbon.

This means that you've been doing searches on Bing, and getting points, but haven't officially register for Bing Rewards. [it may be a result of having a Outlook.com/Hotmail email account--- but just because you have one of these does not mean you're automatically registered for Bing Rewards; you still need to officially register for Bing Rewards]

Not until you officially register for Bing Rewards, do the searches actually get saved/assigned to your Bing Rewards account.

Note: One search does not equal one mile. Each search you do gets Bing Rewards points. The more searches you do as a registered Bing Rewards member, you get "elite status" similar to that of elite status with airlines:

[​IMG]

Once you earn Silver status, Bing Rewards gives you an additional 50 points as a "thank you" for free.

Once you earn Gold status, Bing Rewards gives you a discount on reward redemptions.

As a regular member, it takes 400 Bing Rewards points to get 100 free points or miles from selected programs. Once you're a Gold member, you get a slight discount, with it only costing 385 points:

[​IMG]

So as you can see, once you get to Gold Status, not only does Bing Rewards allow you to do more daily searches [and thus increase your Bing Rewards points] but there's also a reward discount on all rewards for Gold members.

Last edited: May 25, 2014
    daninstl likes this.
  23. Max M

Max M Gold Member

Status Points:
    As a reminder to everyone that does Bing Rewards searches, today is the last Tuesday of the month in May.

During Tuesdays in May, you can do double the number of searches for points. The double searches are not offered every month.

As a data point, it appears that Bing does this promotion only once a quarter, as the only other time they've had a month with double searches for points was in March 2014.

Being able to do twice the number of searches means you can reach elite status with Bing Rewards faster.

24. Max M

Max M Gold Member

Status Points:
    Today, June 3, 2014 is Bing Rewards 5th anniversary.

As a result, today only, they're giving 5 times the normal amount of searches to count for points for searches done on desktop computers!

daninstl likes this.
  25. JRC

JRC Active Member

Status Points:
    It does not work in Puerto Rico.