Nov. 19 UA Route Changes

Discussion in 'United Airlines | MileagePlus' started by Rob, Nov 19, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. Rob
    Original Member

Rob Gold Member

Status Points:
    Last edited: Nov 19, 2013
  2. mherdeg
    Original Member

mherdeg Silver Member

Status Points:
    That's really sad about the elimination of SEA-NRT. This was one of the last UA mainline flights that was not from a hub. (Some count NRT as a "regional hub" but with all the equipment downgrades lately it's hard to say.)

3. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    The all-widebody EWR-LHR is seasonal. I'm sure we'll see 75s on the route still during the off-season.

4. Flyer1976
    Original Member

Flyer1976 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I'm bummed about UA ending service to Bangkok but I can't say I'm really surprised.

Max M likes this.
  5. rggale
    Original Member

rggale Gold Member

Status Points:
    Every time I have flown that flight, Business has been half full, and I'm sure Y has been just as full.

6. Hartmann
    Original Member

Hartmann Gold Member

Status Points:
    We've been asking for IAH-MUC for a while.

Timing kind of sucks for the flight though. Hate 3-4pm departures.

Last edited: Nov 19, 2013
  7. Seacarl
    Original Member

Seacarl Gold Member

Status Points:
    timing not awesome either way 9ish am departure from muc not so great either.

8. Seacarl
    Original Member

Seacarl Gold Member

Status Points:
    with 10 788's next year I was expecting more new international routes, not downguages and reshuffling the deck chairs. Seems like Jeff is running a bit scared

9. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Status Points:
    :confused:

Perhaps you should look at what is actually happening. They ARE increasing international flights, not cutting them. Yes, SEA-NRT and NRT-BKK are being cut. But look at where they are adding international routes in the past few years. There really are some out there.

mht_flyer likes this.
  10. Captain Oveur
    Original Member

Captain Oveur Gold Member

Status Points:
    He should be.

11. Misplaced Texan
    Original Member

Misplaced Texan Gold Member

Status Points:
    Oh boo, just sexy international destinations and not the realization that they need to service MLB because me, me, me. :p

Sent from a place using a fruit thing.

Phudnik, Flyer1976 and rggale like this.
  12. meFIRST

meFIRST Silver Member

Status Points:
    Smisek "one trick pony" has lost it.

Richard Anderson wants more NRT capacity? And UA is looking to cut?

I don't understand. There goes more customers

13. mwg25
    Original Member

mwg25 Gold Member

Status Points:
    ...and the collective mwg25-tjtenor4 family goes ouch, ouch, ouch. :(

14. rggale
    Original Member

rggale Gold Member

Status Points:
    United would not cut a route that is profitable--would you cut one of your best customers?
    US-NRT is very profitable. BKK-NRT is obviously not. I don't think Richard Anderson will be adding that route.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 20, 2013
    mht_flyer and Wandering Aramean like this.
  15. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Sortof. UA is looking to increase service into Asia on non-stop flights from the US rather than via connections. And they're actually keeping the lift into NRT from the USA the same. The one route getting cut is SEA-NRT and it is replaced with IAH-NRT (on a planea with more seats, actually). They're dropping an onward flight to BKK and cutting capacity on NRT-ICN. UA was NEVER going to be competitive in that market so the NRT-ICN is for local feed. And it seems like they're pushing more of that to non stop flights.

Where? The few who are connecting in NRT on to BKK will be mostly pushed to the JV where UA will continue to make money off of them. The others - those flying to TPE or CTU or elsewhere in Asia - will take the non-stop flights from the CONUS instead.
    Please provide some coherent data to show what I'm missing.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 20, 2013
    Flyer1976, ella, rggale and 1 other person like this.
  16. ballardFlyer

ballardFlyer Gold Member

Status Points:
    Well DL already flies NRT-BKK. They have a hub at NRT.

But a UA mainline wide body route at a non-hub location is nonsensical at this point. That UA SEA-NRT was the last vestige of the past days.

meFIRST likes this.
  17. tjtenor4
    Original Member

tjtenor4 Gold Member

Status Points:
    But isn't it the case that even with the JV that if one were to purchase, say, an IAD-NRT-BKK ticket on UA stock, with IAD-NRT on UA metal and NRT-BKK on NH meta (UA codeshare), that one would only receive a prorated portion of PQDs for the IAD-NRT segment, and no PQDs for the NRT-BKK segment on partner metal? Wasn't it established that when flying on codeshares, even under the JV, we don't earn PQDs for segments on partner metal?

Also, of course, NH doesn't have E+.* And NRT-BKK is a ~12% longer flight than NYC-SFO.

*Yes, they have premium economy, but it's not free to United elites (or ANA elites), unlike E+.

18. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    Delta is flying NRT-BKK if I can trust my Delta.com booking skills...

meFIRST likes this.
  19. rggale
    Original Member

rggale Gold Member

Status Points:
    :oops: i type corrected

HaveMilesWillTravel likes this.
  20. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Status Points:
    You will earn full PQDs if purchased on 016 stock. You'll earn no PQDs if purchased on OAL stock.

You'll only earn towards MMer on UA metal. You can only upgrade reasonably on UA metal. You can only SDC on UA metal.

There are LOTS of things about the JVs which are not actually metal-neutral. Unfortunately, however, that's not sufficient for UA to justify running a hub at NRT (or many other places) where there are partners who will meet 80% of the needs for the customers who need the service.

21. meFIRST

meFIRST Silver Member

Status Points:
    I'm not buying the baloney that's coming from Chicago

- I don't see Richard Anderson cutting flights NRT flights. Quite the contrary, he wants more slots. NRT is DL's most profitable hub
    http://www.startribune.com/228753861.html

- Also what is not discussed here is the loss of cargo revenue. UA currently flies, I believe a 747 between NRT and BKK.
    The EWR-TLV flights among others, make $$$ on cargo, which should not be discounted. Everyone seems to be discussing this impact from passengers only

- The non stop argument : I don't see UA adding a non stop SFO-BKK ( a 787 route? )

Jeff, the one trick pony is basically trying to shrink UA's Asia network as his next move, since UA basically can't compete.
    Beyond, lame.

I don't own anymore UAL stock, but if I did, I would be dumping UAL based on the last investor conference. I'm sure Jeff is a very smart lawyer, but he is a very unimaginative airline CEO. And based on the numbers, underperforming.

As for numbers, lets revisit this EOY 2014, 2015 vs the rest of the industry. Then other folks can STFU

Captain Oveur likes this.
  22. meFIRST

meFIRST Silver Member

Status Points:
    BTW, Can UA ever get the NRT-BKK route back?
    Japan has no open skies, the authority was basically inherited from PA, which UA got from PA in the 80s.
    I think once UA lets this go, its gone.

I could be wrong.

Jeff has officially lost it. I would imagine ATL is looking at this with glee......

Captain Oveur likes this.
  23. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Cargo revenue is down YoY. Dedicated cargo operations are having a field day with the shared operations carriers, offering better connectivity and lower rates.

Nope, but they are adding lost of non-stop service elsewhere in Asia. What makes you think that BKK is so profitable that it needs to stick around??

The coverage of Asia is increasing in a manner which better serves the HVFs flying from the USA. UA was never going to connect passenger within the region in any material manner. And they never did.
    Sure. But in the meantime I'll keep using data from the real world to draw conclusions. Hardly delusional. Bring some real data if you want to have a real discussion. If your goal is just to take cheap shots at me then, well, don't get too upset when I point out how ridiculous the claims made are.

24. avflyer
    Original Member

avflyer Silver Member

Status Points:
    Not for long...aren't the 75s supposed to be gone by 2015?..That gives them 2 seasons at best. What do you project the replacement A/C will be? 738s or 788? OR 767 Ghetto Birds?

25. Misplaced Texan
    Original Member

Misplaced Texan Gold Member

Status Points:
    Only those pmUA 752s not part of the p.s. sub-fleet are being retired.

The international configuration (pmCO) and p.s. birds will still be around.

I can't decide if the announcements have been confusing or if it's just that folks on WhinerTalk and the bloggers have been accidentally (or purposefully) stupid on the issue. But it's always been clear that this was the plan.

Sent from a place using a fruit thing.