Noticing ad banner glitch

Discussion in 'Beta Feedback [Archive]' started by Lufthansa Flyer, Feb 4, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. Lufthansa Flyer
    Original Member

Lufthansa Flyer Gold Member

Status Points:
    Noticing that if I select to go into my user area (clicking on my user name on top right), the ad banner covers part of the drop down menu once I highlight my name. Also wondering if it would be more suitable for your profile to pop up when you put your mouse pointer on your user name, and then have pop up disappear if your pointer leaves the drop down area. Seems a little awkward to click the arrow to close the profile, but that may just be me getting used to the interface.

2. Tim
    Original Member

Tim Admin

Status Points:
    What browser/OS are you using? Also, what content do you see in the ad slot there?

3. Lufthansa Flyer
    Original Member

Lufthansa Flyer Gold Member

Status Points:
    using safari on Mac snow leopard OS. its an AMEX ad.

4. NorFlyer
    Original Member

NorFlyer Silver Member

Status Points:
    Also some of the banners (flash) cover the posts - see attached image

Latest Firefox on latest MacOS

Attached Files:

• bug.png
      bug.png
      File size:
      194.4 KB
      Views:
    G_G likes this.
  5. J.Edward
    Original Member

J.Edward Silver Member

Status Points:
    Seeing the same thing on my browser as well -- using Safari Version 5.0.3 (6533.19.4) on a MacBookPro running 10.6.6. The ad that covers the information is the American Express Cardmembers can travel on their own terms, etc.

6. Thanks for the screen shot, we are working on that now.

7. Tim
    Original Member

Tim Admin

Status Points:
    Very odd, I'm not seeing this problem with the same version of Safari and Mac OS as J.Edward. I'll have to keep an eye on this, maybe it is a different Amex ad. Have you both updated your flash versions recently as it sounds like your OS and Browsers are both quite up to date.

8. eap
    Original Member

eap Silver Member

Status Points:
    This problem is not "fixed". I just experienced an ad covering up pop-ups when trying to upload a file or insert an images. Basically, if there is ever a flash ad near where a pop-up should be, things go wrong.

This is incredibly annoying given the ads directly above all of the reply boxes.

9. Can you send me a screen shot?

10. JALPak
    Original Member

JALPak Gold Member

Status Points:
    Safari 5.0.3 (6533.19.4)
    Mac OS X 10.6.6
    Flash Player MAC 10,1,102,64

Looks like there's a newer version of flash player. Let me try that out.

Screen shot 2011-02-11 at 6.07.34 PM.png

11. JALPak
    Original Member

JALPak Gold Member

Status Points:
    Updated to Flash Player MAC 10,2,152,26 but problem persists

Screen shot 2011-02-11 at 6.12.54 PM.png

12. ArizonaGuy
    Original Member

ArizonaGuy Silver Member

Status Points:
    I still have no ads, period. Doesn't matter what browser I use or whether I have an adblocker enabled or even installed, I've never seen an ad. FF 3.6.13, Chrome 9.0.597.94, IE9 RC. Even looking at it in IE8 with No add-ons enabled, without logging in, there are no ads. I'm trying to help you guys generate some ad revenue and I can't. :)

I do see ads from my Android through the Dolphin browser.

Am I just lucky?

13. Gargoyle
    Original Member

Gargoyle Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    Did you ever set up a hosts file (if you're on a windows system)? That will block them.
    Google hosts file for info.

14. ArizonaGuy
    Original Member

ArizonaGuy Silver Member

Status Points:
    There's an etc/hosts on Mac and *nix too, of course. :) While I have a custom one it's specific to work IP's, no custom list of addresses resolving to home. But now that you mention it, I need to go check out the firewall. I may have configured that to block a bunch of stuff ages ago and plum forgot. Now if only I can remember the password. ;)

15. eap
    Original Member

eap Silver Member

Status Points:
    Screen shot 2011-02-15 at 2.39.01 PM.png
    Here is a screen shot, from this very thread, of showing the problem with flash ads near pop-ups. In this case, I chose the insert picture option in the editor.

I am using Safari on OS X with Flash 10,2,152,26.

16. eap
    Original Member

eap Silver Member

Status Points:
    And, just for kicks, here is the ad on top of the screenshot of the ad...

Screen shot 2011-02-15 at 2.41.07 PM.png

17. Tim
    Original Member

Tim Admin

Status Points:
    Thanks again for all the reports and screen shots you guys have provided. The one common thread I'm seeing here clearly is you are all on Mac OS X and Safari. In our testing we have been unable to reproduce these problems at all using Mac OS X/Safari though. One thought that could be something to look into though, could you each list of any/all Extensions you have installed in Safari?

Also does this seem to be a problem that always happens for you? Or does it happen on occasion? If not all the time is there anything that you can see that is associated with it happening that we might be able to reproduce? Does length of time on site or with the browser open seem to have any relation to the problem for you? Thanks again for your assistance with investigating this.

18. JALPak
    Original Member

JALPak Gold Member

Status Points:
    It have no extensions installed. At least the Safari preference window says so.

If I remember right, it only happens occasionally. I don't think length of time on site is a relation but I post quite a lot so it could be related to the number of times I load the ads.