NOTICE: For Yahoo Mail users attempting to verify their account.

Discussion in 'Beta Feedback [Archive]' started by Tim, Feb 7, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. Tim
    Original Member

Tim Admin

Status Points:
    We have had many people using Yahoo mail report that they are not getting their account verification emails delivered to them timely. From what we know so far there are two ways to work around this so far:

1) Add the email address "webmaster@milepoint.com" to your contacts and attempt to verify your account again.

2) Use a non Yahoo mail email address.

Going forward we are working to fix this problem, but for now the two options above are the only things we have that will work for Yahoo mail users, other than waiting for the confirmation email to eventually arrive. If you have any other ideas for workarounds do tell! Thanks!

ben regelshore likes this.
  2. kellio
    Original Member

kellio Gold Member

Status Points:
    I signed up again using a different email address but of course had to create a new handle as well. Who should we contact to delete the yahoo handle?

3. Tim
    Original Member

Tim Admin

Status Points:
    No need to contact anyone as there is not a need to remove the first account. :) If you decide you want to use that first account either of the steps above should open up that handle for you to use.

4. Jasper2009
    Original Member

Jasper2009 Silver Member

Status Points:

Just for your info:

I did add this address to my contact list, but I still didn´t receive the confirmation e-mails (or to be more precise, they arrived 36h later), so it seems the bug isn´t consistent.

5. Tim
    Original Member

Tim Admin

Status Points:
    Thanks for the report Jasper, that is good to know. Did you click the link to resend the verification email after you added the contact?

6. studio253
    Original Member

studio253 Silver Member

Status Points:
    I added the webmaster to Yahoo address book but it didn't help. I went into my profile and changed my e-mail to my gmail account and received the e-mail confirmation instantly. This is the first time I have ever had any issues with Yahoo.

7. tomh009
    Original Member

tomh009 Gold Member

Status Points:
    On a related topic ... I finally went and looked, and Google's Postini service (which my email provider uses) thinks pretty much all email from milepoint.com is spam. :(

8. My initial attempts using my yahoo.com account eventually turned up after 2-3 days.. they do come.. eventually....

9. ThatJohn
    Original Member

ThatJohn Silver Member

Status Points:
    I had a good few hours' lag between application and email confirmation receipt using my Google Apps domain.

10. Same here. The confirmation email showed up on Tuesday, although I registered on Sunday. The email came in my inbox, and not in the junk mail box.

11. Tim
    Original Member

Tim Admin

Status Points:
    That is a bit surprising to me, we also use Postini/Google Apps at MilePoint and we haven't seen the same. It should be an easy fix on your end though to whitelist address the emails are coming in from in Postini. :)

12. tomh009
    Original Member

tomh009 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Absolutely easy to do -- if you know to do it. By default some new members' emails will get caught, though.

I wonder whether Google Apps has different default spam settings than the standalone Postini service?

13. Tim
    Original Member

Tim Admin

Status Points:
    Probably not, right after I posted that I noticed a few MP messages in my Postini, so it was happening to me as well, but not for the registration email.

14. tomh009
    Original Member

tomh009 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Maybe some fine-tuning of the message content could ensure that they make it past Postini, even at its default settings ...

15. Gargoyle
    Original Member

Gargoyle Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    Yes, look at the bayes count on the e-mail. I know spamassassin will show you the points, base on their algorithms, I'm sure there are other tools designed to run an e-mail through and see the score. Perhaps it has 60% html and 55% would clear the filters, or you have three hyperlinks and if you drop to 2 you'll look better, or you used a couple bad keywords. (like "free" or "unsubscribe").

16. sc801
    Original Member

sc801 Gold Member

Status Points:
    So the question is now this. If I changed my email contact to a non-yahoo account, once I am verified, do I understand that if I change it back to a Yahoo account, I will need to be re-verified. I prefer not to receive any mailings at my personal, private email.

Thanks in advance.

17. Jaimito Cartero
    Original Member

Jaimito Cartero Silver Member

Status Points:
    It took a couple of days for my original confirmation to come in. By then, of course, I had hit the "resend verification" a couple of times, and it didn't work to activate the account. I had gotten a general, "If you have problems" email, and contacted MP that way, and they activated my account.

18. Tim
    Original Member

Tim Admin

Status Points:
    My first thought was that it would require another verification, but it turns out it doesn't so good news there. This does require another validation after all.

Good point to bring up, requesting a second activation email does invalidate the original request (or any requests before it).

19. DoubleJ
    Original Member

DoubleJ Gold Member

Status Points:
    Having not seen this thread first, I waited and then requested a second activation email. A couple of hours later a verification email arrived to my Yahoo Mail account, I clicked on it, and it worked to verify me. Am I to assume the second activation email arrived before the first?

20. Bobofoosh
    Original Member

Bobofoosh Silver Member

Status Points:
    FYI - It worked just fine for me today.

21. kenbo
    Original Member

kenbo Silver Member

Status Points:
    I think I received my confirmation within 30 minutes to an hour.

22. Bob Smolinsky
    Original Member

Bob Smolinsky Gold Member

Status Points:
    Got the email OK, but verify link address did not work.....Mr. Ederer thankfully did it for me :)

23. aitchly
    Original Member

aitchly Silver Member

Status Points:
    Has someone from m. contacted Yahoo to get off the blacklist?

ben regelshore likes this.
  24. Oiuyt
    Original Member

Oiuyt Silver Member

Status Points:
    Added to the contact list and requested a resend. Still no go.

It (obviously) eventually came through.

Annoying, but not a deal breaker. If anything, at least during the Beta, having people wait a day to be able to post might be beneficial.

25. RKG
    Original Member

RKG Silver Member

Status Points:
    This is exactly what happened to me. I even tried a second yahoo account.