Notes on my recent TAM flights connecting in GRU

Discussion in 'American Airlines | AAdvantage' started by Seat6A, Jul 13, 2014.  |  Print Topic

1. Seat6A

Seat6A Silver Member

Status Points:
    I just returned from a flight to Iguassu, Brasil and wanted to let folks know about a few things I encountered when connecting with TAM in Sao Paulo (GRU). I flew the new 777-300ER to and from DFW and loved the new plane. Put Iguassu on your bucket list as all I can say. Two days will do it, but just do it. This is why we fly.

1. I was on a TAM Airbus 320 from GRU to IGU and though I couldn’t book my seats online the EXP agent could. But the first three rows were blocked out. I couldn’t get better than row four on the way down but got the bulkhead don the return.

2. When you board a TAM flight all oneworld statuses are treated the same. Oneworld boards first with the TAM higher status flyers.

3. Miles flown on TAM post the next day!

4. The TAM people have no idea what an EXP is, FYI. Gold, Platinum, EXP, all board the same.

5. If you are taller than 5’6” your knees will be in the seat in front of you’re on a TAM 320. 174 seats on an Airbus 320 comes with sacrifices.

6. Contrary to info online and from AA agents, there is no TAM VIP Salon access for people flying into GRU on AA and connecting to a TAM flight. The six hours in the terminal were unexpected.

7. On the return I arrived at GRU about 1:30 PM when the ticket counters were closed for a 9:45 PM flight. However, there is an AA office just to the left of the AA counters (currently D40 through D50 or so). Since I didn’t need to check luggage the lady at the AA counter was able to check me in so I could then proceed through security and to the TAM VIP Salon.

8. Very similar to checking in early for AA in EXE and SCL.

Fly on and enjoy!

Attached Files:

brucewil and IDGflygirl like this.
  2. bna_based

bna_based Silver Member

Status Points:
    You had better luck than me. I flew TAM from GRU to ATL and April and have yet to see the points added. Unfortunately I did not keep my boarding stub ..

3. Seat6A

Seat6A Silver Member

Status Points:
    The other thing TAM did on the 320 was only allow one carry-on bag and I had to keep the laptop backpack. Though half the plane had multiple shopping bags and just general junk, which took up more space than my roll-on, i had to check it. Ah well. It came through just fine.