Note to Alaska Airlines: It's Time to Make a Deal with Delta

Discussion in 'Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan' started by WilliamQ, Jul 6, 2014.  |  Print Topic

1. WilliamQ

WilliamQ Gold Member

Status Points:
    http://www.forbes.com/sites/tedreed...-airlines-its-time-to-make-a-deal-with-delta/

http://www.forbes.com/sites/tedreed...-airlines-its-time-to-make-a-deal-with-delta/

Newscience and B1BomberVB like this.
  2. Jimgotkp
    Original Member

Jimgotkp Gold Member

Status Points:
    I guess the writer forgot that DL was the one that backstabbed AS with all the domestic routes to/from Seattle.

Flyer1976, daninstl and WilliamQ like this.
  3. Mapsmith
    Original Member

Mapsmith Gold Member

Status Points:
    Given my druthers, I would ALWAYS take Alaska over Delta. The People are nicer.

daninstl and WilliamQ like this.
  4. WilliamQ

WilliamQ Gold Member

Status Points:
    Well, they are both profitable airlines with their own followings... Somehow, things will work itself out.
    Delta's advantage is the international network on Delta's metal.
    Alaska's advantage is its long time customer's relationship and its knowledge on the ground with so many years of operations

That said, Nokia, Blackberry are prime examples of previously profitable companies not reacting fast enough to competitors.
    At least Alaska knows who the competition is and what they are capable of.

Flyer1976, daninstl and B1BomberVB like this.
  5. dayone
    Original Member

dayone Silver Member

Status Points:
    If given time to complete its current integration, AA may be a better partner.

The AS partnership with AA dates back to the early '70s, when they began interchange flights.

Last edited: Jul 7, 2014
    daninstl likes this.
  6. PhoenixDown

PhoenixDown Silver Member

Status Points:
    Alaska Airlines and Hawaiian Airlines should merge, covering niche areas. HA also has a good partnership going with Virgin America.

daninstl likes this.
  7. ballardFlyer

ballardFlyer Gold Member

Status Points:
    What is the value of the HA tie up for AS?

HAs intl network isn't going all that well and AS already does well to Hawaii.

AS could acquire wide bodies cheaper then merging with HA?

8. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    This would be a disaster. The markets are nearly entirely duplicative, not additive.

DL's presence in SEA is going to hurt AS and the tit-for-tat fighting at SLC is a bad counter-attack. But AS is going to need to do something to build and maintain local traffic. I don't care that publicly Delta keeps saying they just want to build feed for the international routes; that's not what the reality is on the ground.

9. daninstl

daninstl Gold Member

Status Points:
    This changes the thread but I'd like to see Frontier and Alaska merge. I don't know that there is much value there either though.

Oh and I'm one of those few people that would fly SLC-SJC but I prefer to fly AA so it's hard to get to SLC from the midwest typically without using Delta.

I really wish Alaska would change the flight schedule out of MCI or STL to SEA to some morning flights. They always have these late day flights that are too late to make most of the connections in Seattle on to Hawaii or the west coast.

10. eponymous_coward
    Original Member

eponymous_coward Gold Member

Status Points:
    "This changes the thread but I'd like to see Frontier and Alaska merge. I don't know that there is much value there either though."

Pretty much none- incompatible fleet types (Airbus and B737NG) and service models, especially now that F9 is going to an ULCC model out of places like TTN. F9 also loses buckets of money (which is why they're trying out an ULCC model).

"I really wish Alaska would change the flight schedule out of MCI or STL to SEA to some morning flights. They always have these late day flights that are too late to make most of the connections in Seattle on to Hawaii or the west coast."

Not surprising when your hub is in SEA; a morning flight from STL means keeping a plane on the ground in STL/MCI overnight (which means AS can't use the plane for anything after it arrives in STL, as opposed to flying SEA-MCI-SEA in one day leaves it in SEA available for something) or doing a redeye (which is likely to be a money-loser to someplace like MCI or even STL).

Also, AS isn't particularly trying to grab connecting traffic STL/MCI-SEA-California/Hawaii, because very few people would want to do this (SEA is not really on the way if you're flying STL-LAX).

Flyer1976 likes this.
  11. mck

mck New Member

Status Points:
    An observation on the ongoing fight between the AS and DL....

The amount of Delta Advertising at SeaTac should really trigger some more movement by Alaska. Delta is making a much better marketing campaign with their slogan Non-Stop __ x a day to SFO or LAX. Using LAX as example since I just got off today, they fly 7x daily, four are A320s, but three are on Embraer 175s. Nonetheless someone who doesn't fly this route a lot might be like "wow!" Delta has a lot of flights on this route.

Alaska flies 12 daily non stops SEA - LAX on 737s. Can someone please tell Alaska if they are going to fight to put some money into buying up some of SeaTac's billboards? This is your hub, why does it feel like Delta is taking over...Put up a sign next to their billboard or something.

12. gleff
    Original Member

gleff Co-founder

Status Points:
  13. LarryInNYC

LarryInNYC Gold Member

Status Points:
    With only one customer, I'm not sure I'd call it such a big advantage.

14. dgreen12
    Original Member

dgreen12 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Ha. Perhaps you should fly AS sometime. :rolleyes: