Not using final leg of ticket: problems?

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Travel' started by bungalow1225, Jun 17, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. bungalow1225

bungalow1225 Active Member

Status Points:

Next week I am flying LAX-TPA via ORD, then a couple of days later, TPA-LAX via DEN. As it turns out, I have a good reason to get off the plane in DEN and finish my trip via automobile. In effect, I'd be using the entire outbound portion of my ticket, and the TPA-DEN leg of the return, but would then take my carry-on luggage and not board my DEN-LAX flight.

Questions:

1) Is there a problem notifying the carrier (UA) in advance that I need to interrupt my trip and that I won't be using the final portion of the ticket?

2) Is there a "correct" or preferred way for me to do this?

I am assuming that if I just don't show up at the gate for DEN-LAX - after arriving in DEN on my original reservation, this might trigger some activity that could/should be avoidable (excessive paging, scolding, or other punishments).
    I'd also like to preserve the miles I earn between TPA and DEN, if possible.

Have never done this before, looking for advice. Thanks.

Note: I will not check a bag.

Thanks,

B1225

2. Lufthansa Flyer
    Original Member

Lufthansa Flyer Gold Member

Status Points:
    you dont have to contact the carrier. If you are a no show, then they'll free up the seat to someone on stand by.

Just fyi, you will not get mile credit for the last leg. Since you dont have checked baggage, thats not an issue either.

Its done all the time.

3. Exiled in Express
    Original Member

Exiled in Express Gold Member

Status Points:
    Is this one roundtrip ticket or two?

I would not notify the carrier at any point, just wander down to car rentals upon arrival at DEN. Alternatively I think UA offers a DEN stopover on most fares, if you plan on flying DEN-LAX in the future, changing your ticket to add a stopover might work to your advantage if change fees are not outrageous.

4. bungalow1225

bungalow1225 Active Member

Status Points:
    It is one r/t ticket (LAX-TPA-LAX).

Thanks for the replies. I think I'll just grab my carry on bag and tip-toe quietly from the airport terminal.

- B1225

5. Lufthansa Flyer
    Original Member

Lufthansa Flyer Gold Member

Status Points:
    Good. Many times airlines have a clause in their terms/conditions that let's them charge you for missing a checked in leg. But I've never heard of it being enforced. Volunteering your plan to them would be a bad idea!!!! Especially in today's fee hungry environment