Original Member

Kalboz Gold Member

Status Points:
    anileze, Chimpy and sobore like this.
  6. Kalboz
    Original Member

Kalboz Gold Member

Status Points:
    Hey thanks ... search done on Flickr based on places mentioned in the above article. :)

Chimpy and sobore like this.
  7. Sweet Willie
    Original Member

Sweet Willie Gold Member

Status Points:
    The article mentions Kerela & Goa which are on my India to-do list.

Seeing as I have limited vacation time and India is so vast, I was hoping that someone can suggest some common, basic itineraries. I've been told that doing a triangle of Jaipur, Agra & Delhi is one. It would seem that Kerela & Goa would be another.

anileze and Kalboz like this.
  8. kwai
    Original Member

kwai Gold Member

Status Points:
    I didn't see the Charminar mentioned in the article. Anyway, Hyderabad isn't really a touristy place anyway... but here's my pic:
    _MG_9036sm.jpg

I had just come across from Bidar in Karnataka, which was also mostly devoid of tourists. The Red Fort is really interesting.

_MG_8971sm.jpg

_MG_8992sm.jpg

I've never been to Goa and my most recent trip, Nov 2009, I had planned on kerala but decided to spend more time in Karnataka. Mysore was great, but don't have time for pics right now.

savydog, Toula, Chimpy and 2 others like this.
  9. lohiadk

lohiadk Silver Member

Status Points:
    For the southern part Kerala itself has many destinations to cover so if you have limited time don't mix this with Goa. You can do Mumbai and Goa together and you can also combine it with Delhi as many airlines and agents offer good packages to Goa specially in the off season. Also look at doing a side trip to Nepal while in India if the time permits.

Sweet Willie, kwai and Kalboz like this.
  10. Kalboz
    Original Member

Kalboz Gold Member

Status Points:
  11. BWIflyer
    Original Member

BWIflyer Silver Member

Status Points:
    If you go for a week, you can do the Golden triangle viz. Delhi, Agra and Jaipur. But if have more time then you can include Goa and Bombay. I agree with Iohiadk that Kerala should be visited as a separate trip. It has beautiful beaches and the backwaters in a Houseboat is a unique experience.

12. . patnitop1_1240235387.jpg

Patnitop is one of the Not to be missed travel destination in India. Snow cover and Greeny trees are attraction of this place. Patnitop offers Paragliding, Camping, Trekking, Abseiling, Rock Climbing and scenic nature walks. you can enjoy the thrill of flying- paragliding

Sweet Willie and Kalboz like this.
  13. Kalboz
    Original Member

Kalboz Gold Member

Status Points:
  14. jonspencer

jonspencer Silver Member

Status Points:
    I just returned from Kochin, Kerala, had a 4 night visit at CP on PB :cool:

was much more agreeable than Delhi (less hectic and cleaner), really liked the Fort Cochin with its mix of cultures, foods and architecture from colonial times

during the day I motorcycled (on the Royal Enfield in avatar) in the mountains near the Tiger Preserve, around the city and to Idukki

in the evening I took a few cooking classes that were far more fun than you might think

will go again but need to do my Ladakh trip first

Sweet Willie, anileze and Kalboz like this.
  15. anileze

anileze Gold Member

Status Points:
    The most popular destinations for first time travelers to India are indeed the cities of the Golden Triangle a.k.a Jaipur, Agra and Delhi. Rajasthan the desert state, is also chockful of forts, palaces and temples. Jaisalmer the far out a living fort city, in Rajasthan is also a popular destination in Feb, as it is time for the famous Desert Festival.

Rajasthan is also known for the colorful attire that its local men and womenfolk wear.

mp6.jpg

Sunset in the sand dunes outside Jaisalmer, Rajasthan

mp4.jpg

Hawa Mahal, Jaipur, the windowed stone screens which allowed womenfolk to see the activities of the main street below without being seen.

mp3.jpg

Climbing the famous Amber Fort, Jaipur on top the elephants. A very popular mode of transport for foreigners who come on a packaged trip from New Delhi.

mp2.jpg

The camel owner after having schleped tourists to the sand dunes of the Thar Desert outside Jaisalmer.

mp1.jpg

A rajasthani dancer with the Golden Fort, jaisalmer in the background.

mpj3.jpg

The young boy looks on while his mother, a dancer performs at the Desert Festival.

mpj2.jpg

Camel mounted, Border Unit of the Indian Army in ceremonial gear during the desert festival.

mpj.jpg

Ornate windows of houses in Jaisalmer.

Jaisalmer was a sleep little fort town, till Satyajit Ray, the legendary film director chose the town to make one of his Iconic movies called "Sonar Kela" which is Golden Fort in English :) So named because of the golden colored sandstone which was used to build the houses and the fort.

Kalboz and Sweet Willie like this.
  16. Sweet Willie
    Original Member

Sweet Willie Gold Member

Status Points:
    any feedback from those who have been to India on begging issues, I've read that the beggars in India can be quite aggressive & not take repeated no for an answer.

Newscience, Kalboz and anileze like this.
  17. anileze

anileze Gold Member

Status Points:
    Ignore them. It is true that in most tourist gulches you find begging. Treat it as panhanders. The aggressive are docile compared to the guys outside Port Authority Bus Terminal late night...

It is when one relents and gives to one, that the problem becomes. Nothing sunglasses and a firm NO cannot solve.

18. jonspencer

jonspencer Silver Member

Status Points:
    Kerala was much different than in the north, there is no formal caste system in use as such (there is one but it is different than elsewhere) and much of the area is Christian

not certain if this is a major factor in there being few beggars anywhere I visited but think it likely so :rolleyes:

19. Newscience

Newscience Gold Member

Status Points:
    Sweet Willie, I got a chuckle out of your post! Try visiting New York City! As per anilize's posting, those begging outside the Port Authority Bus Terminal could give lessons! I've run into aggressive beggars/panhandlers in most major cities of the world - certainly including US cities. I worry more about pickpockets/swindlers in many of them. Keeping an eye on their hand movements and avoiding direct eye contact also helps. Good luck!
    Newscience

Last edited: Feb 23, 2014